Delisted Free Agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Same people yes. However completely separate decisions.

They drafted him thinking he was the best option to draft for whatever reason. 6 years down the track they don't see him as a part of our future for whatever reason.

The second decision is only affected by the first in the sense that you can't delist someone unless you draft him first. That's where it ceases to be related.

And the decision to re-sign him, either two or three times? I'm quite sure he didn't get a six-year deal immediately after he was drafted.

And the decision to re-sign him, either two or three times? I'm quite sure he didn't get a six-year deal immediately after he was drafted.
I don't think we're quite on the same page here.

The decision to delist Brown (in the present or very near past) is dependent on the (past) decisions to draft him and re-sign him and the outcome is that the club has made errors in this regard.

That same decision to delist Brown will only have future adverse outcomes should he go on to play well elsewhere within the afl, that's what I'm arguing.

That the decision to delist him will not go on to hurt us in that regard as I feel his prospects at afl level are very limited at best.

Is Brown too slow? Are his leading patterns terrible and he doesn't listen to coaching? Is he a slacker in the gym or prefers to stay up a bit later rather than resting and sleeping so he won't put on weight? Is his kicking technically flawed and he doesn't listen to coaching to fix it? Is his body positioning in marks poor? Are his hands too hard in marking? Does he not chase? Is he not fit enough to chase?

What is the reason he was persisted with for so long that wasn't able to be fixed in that time?

You will get a lot of different answers to those questions. He can clearly play, as far as I'm concerned. He's an excellent kick, has good mobility for his height and is good at ground level. He isn't strong (probably better suited to a third tall role at either end, taking his marks on the lead around the half forward/wing area, or playing a Mackie-role in defence) and doesn't 'look' like a desperate sort of player (whether that's true or not, who knows?), his permanent facial expression makes him look like he's going through the motions out there and that certainly seems like the natural inference to take for a player that absolutely has ability, but never really took off (though, it should be noted, he'd been behind some combination of Hawkins, Podsiadly, Mooney and Vardy at one end of the ground and Lonergan, Taylor, Scarlett, Rivers and Mackie at the other, for his entire career). So you've got a lot of attributes there for a player that will be maligned at a club: first round pick, tall, not strong and doesn't 'look' like he's busting his gut out there.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, he never got the opportunity to grow into a role at AFL level. He played five games in 2013, and pretty much played five different roles in each of them, then as soon as a senior player was ready to come back in, he'd be dropped. He never got more than three games in a row in the AFL. I think if there's a team that can use a tall at either end, he's definitely worth a shot, but give him some continuity and let him know that this is his role (whatever that may be), unless something drastic happens. Don't throw a guy that has played 10 games around here, there and everywhere and expect him to thrive. Because that's what Geelong did to him, sometimes from quarter-to-quarter. They've done a heap of good things since 2008, but Geelong's match committee and coaching staff has to bear some of the responsibility here, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

I don't think we're quite on the same page here.

The decision to delist Brown (in the present or very near past) is dependent on the (past) decisions to draft him and re-sign him and the outcome is that the club has made errors in this regard.

That same decision to delist Brown will only have future adverse outcomes should he go on to play well elsewhere within the afl, that's what I'm arguing.

And that is incorrect. Had Brown been delisted/traded, instead of re-signed around the time some supporters started turning on him 2.0-2.5 years ago, we would have had a different player on our list. Possibly a player that is playing good senior footy at another club, week-in/week-out and may continue to for another 5-10 years. A future adverse outcome.

And that is incorrect. Had Brown been delisted/traded, instead of re-signed around the time some supporters started turning on him 2.0-2.5 years ago, we would have had a different player on our list. Possibly a player that is playing good senior footy at another club, week-in/week-out and may continue to for another 5-10 years. A future adverse outcome.
We could have also got a worse player than Brown which would then make your suggestion a future positive outcome.

But yet again we're arguing separate issues. I have agreed with you that what we have done up until now looks to be an error but the decision to delist him will not bite us in the future as we're not letting anything worthwhile go.

Think before yesterday he was every chance of being delisted but now with Lowden gone I suspect he will be retained purely for if we suffer a major injury hit in the ruck area....

I'd hope Port are now speaking to him

Midfield but he is already gone

I think he would be a chance at Freos last pick. We can't take a delisted free agent without delisting another player. Apparently has had discussions with the club.

If a club wants him as a Delisted Free Agent, and he's agreeable, it'll be a done deal before any of the drafts happen

Here's the remaining key dates

Thursday November 13, by 2pm - List lodgement (2).

Friday November 14 - AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins

Wednesday November 19 - Delisted primary list draft nomination form lodgement; Non–retained rookie players draft nomination form lodgement; Players not registered or played for three years rookie nomination. NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Thursday November 27 - NAB AFL Draft selection meeting (Gold Coast Convention Centre).

Friday November 28 - NAB AFL delisted free agency Period (3) begins

Monday December 1 - AFL delisted player free agency period (3) ends. AFL club list lodgement (3) and TPP estimates. International players inclusion on rookie list form; Scholarship players rookie list form lodged; Father/son and Academy pre-selected rookie nominations.

Wednesday December 3 - NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft selection meeting (11am); Notification of pre-selected rookies nominated on Monday November 25 if not selected in the pre-season draft (11.05am); NAB AFL Rookie Draft selection meeting (11.10am)

Monday December 5 – Final club list lodgement

Friday December 12, by 2pm - International players inclusion on rookie list

A club, like Port, could take him as a DFA on Friday

Any Freo fans out there that can shed light on why Tanner Smith was delisted, do the Dockers have another key defender I don't know about. seems strange given Dawson is no world beater and McPharlin is as good as done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any Freo fans out there that can shed light on why Tanner Smith was delisted, do the Dockers have another key defender I don't know about. seems strange given Dawson is no world beater and McPharlin is as good as done.

We have McPharlin (32), Johnson (30), Dawson (28), Silvagni (27), Alex Pearce (19). We aren't completely screwed for options, if we take a KPP as a first rounder (Durdin/Goddard) as expected we'll have plenty of depth.

If a club wants him as a Delisted Free Agent, and he's agreeable, it'll be a done deal before any of the drafts happen

Here's the remaining key dates

A club, like Port, could take him as a DFA on Friday

True but aren't you still obligated to use three draft picks, at the time of my post Freo had three senior spots available

True but aren't you still obligated to use three draft picks, at the time of my post Freo had three senior spots available

Yep, Freo can't take him as a DFA coz of their current list quantity. However Port do have the space to take him plus the minimum 3 draft picks

They delisted Tanner Smith yesterday. Hell of a coincidence in timing too, given that Grimley was linked to them in trade week. I doubt that they delisted Smith so that they could use pick 72.

Thought smith was very highly rated at freo? What's happened?

Thought smith was very highly rated at freo? What's happened?
Injury really. Has slowed his development. Came back from one major injury and then did a shoulder this year. I'm pretty sure Freo would want him to be there for the rookie draft but Alex Pearce is Ross's preferred option on the main list and will be next cab of the rank.

Yeah I know he's gone. Will he get many games for the Dees?
Very hard to say. He'll likely be behind Jones, Cross, Tyson and Viney as inside mids. Then Vince and maybe Lumumba if he isn't playing back flank as versatile/outside mids. Plus we have a couple of highly rated young fwd/mids in Kent and Salem who have more upside in that role than Newton. If we take Brayshaw in the draft and he's as ready made as advertised that might be another. So he'll be right in the middle of a logjam of guys like Watts, Matt Jones, Michie, Riley, Toumpas etc fighting for maybe 2 or 3 spots in the best 22. If he establishes himself a spot in the side, particularly if he can play wing or half forward then he could play pretty much every game. Otherwise he could be in and out of the team still.

Very hard to say. He'll likely be behind Jones, Cross, Tyson and Viney as inside mids. Then Vince and maybe Lumumba if he isn't playing back flank as versatile/outside mids. Plus we have a couple of highly rated young fwd/mids in Kent and Salem who have more upside in that role than Newton. If we take Brayshaw in the draft and he's as ready made as advertised that might be another. So he'll be right in the middle of a logjam of guys like Watts, Matt Jones, Michie, Riley, Toumpas etc fighting for maybe 2 or 3 spots in the best 22. If he establishes himself a spot in the side, particularly if he can play wing or half forward then he could play pretty much every game. Otherwise he could be in and out of the team still.

For this reason I wouldn't be surprised to see Melbourne go with two talls, prob Lever and McCartin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back