Delisting Players After the ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...pick-nick-winmar/story-e6freck3-1226524899374

Now this is not to single out St. Kilda, but to highlight the issue with allowing clubs to delist players after the ND nominations close and effectively giving them a very limited chance to be picked up.

Sure, some will say it is your own fault, not arguing Winmar may have stuffed up, but is it right clubs can delist players and give them effectively zero chance or thereabouts of being picked up in the PSD.

My club is guilty of this and I think is stinks. Final list lodgement should be in time for the player to nominate for the ND and PSD.

Otherwise we get insulting comments from people like Pelchen becasue they have to say something:

"This was a difficult decision, however we feel it is the right one for both Nick and the club. Nick has been a respected member of the Saints over the past three years and we wish him every success for the future."
How is this the best outcome for Nick? Sorry mate, you have less than half the clubs available to pick you up and you have next to no time to find a new club. But it's the best outcome for you.

The AFL needs to clean this up.

I always thought there was a deadline day for lists, but it seems certain 'situations' keep poping up to prevent this. Should be before the draft and thats it.

Completely agree.

This is completely unfair on the player who now has his options extremely limited with the draft/trade/free agency period over.

All spots have been potentially sewn up and the player now faces the likelihood of his AFL dream crushed as he will fall out of the system.

Shouldn't be allowed to count against the cap for this year - should count for 2013. But you know, there is too much disparity in the AFL and St Kilda are too poor. :rolleyes:

He ran last in a time trial, after three years of doing not much....

He is responsible for the consequences of his actions surely?

Sure it's tough, but that's life sometimes.

Nicks AFL dream has been crushed because he didn't work hard enough.

Saints are being tough, I can't be sorry about that, it's about time.

It's a bit weird. We have three players training who aren't contracted yet and don't know if they'll be offered contracts. How are you supposed to rock up everyday and do your best with that hanging over your head?

Not sure if it will change next season with changes to the senior and rookie lists.

lol it's funny how everyone is quick to sink the boots into someone "finishing last" in a time trial.

The reality is, someone from the playing list has to finish last. We can't have everyone finishing equal first.

Who knows, it may have been a PB for the kid on his last time trial.

lol it's funny how everyone is quick to sink the boots into someone "finishing last" in a time trial.

The reality is, someone from the playing list has to finish last. We can't have everyone finishing equal first.

You'd think last place would be afforded to a young ruckman, not a whippet on the back of 3 pre-seasons.

You'd think last place would be afforded to a young ruckman, not a whippet on the back of 3 pre-seasons.

Not really. These days these young rucks are skinny and quite athletic so their aerobic capacity isn't that bad.

Could be anyone finishing last. Just last week young Murray Newman was beaten by his coach! Still like I said, somebody has to finish last. what do you do? Sack every player who comes last in a time trial?

He is responsible for the consequences of his actions surely?

Sure it's tough, but that's life sometimes.

Nicks AFL dream has been crushed because he didn't work hard enough.

Saints are being tough, I can't be sorry about that, it's about time.
I dare say he had been slack for quite a while and this was the straw that broke the camels back.
Maybe at the Thirsty Camel too much?
thirsty_camel.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shannon Cox copped the same treatment, Winmah obviously took his AFL career for granted ''or'' he just didn't want it bad enough, i don't think any team would sack someone for coming last in a time trial without previous concerns over their attitude.

Shannon Cox copped the same treatment, Winmah obviously took his AFL career for granted ''or'' he just didn't want it bad enough, i don't think any team would sack someone for coming last in a time trial without previous concerns over their attitude.

Shannon Cox retired. Not the same treatment at all.

Then sack him before the ND and let him have a chance.

That is the premise of the thread, not that Winmar did the wrong thing.

Why do clubs have the ability to say when and where players are sacked without the consequences.

Personally I think the Saints should have one less player i.e. Winmar on their list. As shoudl any other club that does a similar thing.

He can still get Rookie listed or PSD so all is not lost for 2013. Plenty of great players have come from there, although he has to pull his finger out to get a spot. Don't think two weeks would have changed much had the saints done it earlier.

You would think a guy who was at best a fringe player would be moving heaven and earth to improve himself, instead he decided to let his fitness slip, no sympathy here.
Again, not about Sympathy. Sack him. But sack him before the ND when everyone else SHOULD get cut and afforded the same opportunity to find a new home.

You still need to be able to cut players after the national draft. What if you arent happy with the players you got in the draft and you decide you want a pick in the pre season draft after all to finalise your list. There needs to be scope for this.

Not sure you can excuse him so easily.

Even when the slate was wiped clean and heaps of kids...pretty much every single kid on the list....have been given opportunity under Watters, he struggled to play well at Sandringham.

It's not just that, but the position he plays, it's not like he had to push out a Riewoldt or a Hayes.

Timing might not be ideal, but either was his. With Cripps, Peake, BJ, Gram, Clarke all gone....where was the 'pick me' attitude?

He can still get Rookie listed or PSD so all is not lost for 2013. Plenty of great players have come from there, although he has to pull his finger out to get a spot. Don't think two weeks would have changed much had the saints done it earlier.
That is the problem stated in the article, there is only 15 or so picks that will happen in the RD this year with only about 8 clubs having picks.

My club is guilty of this and I think is stinks. Final list lodgement should be in time for the player to nominate for the ND and PSD.

I'm not saying the Saints have done the wrong thing, because the rules as they stand allow them to do this - but I think the rules need to be tightened.

My personal opinion is this:

If you are not contracted, the club can cut you at any time - because of course you are free to pursue your options as well.

If you are contracted, I think the cut has to occur prior to first list lodgement.

The Saints should be fined and sanctioned for this.

It's pathetic on their behalf, disrespectful and an absolute disgrace.

I hope Winmar sues them, this is his livelihood at stake here, shame on St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back