Oppo Camp Delusional Pearlers III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day they've still got two flags - and thats fine.

But the way some of them are prancing around like they are some sort of generational team is ****ing embarrassing - one of the poorer premiership sides in some time, and I reckon only the 97-98 Crows are poorer back to back teams.
What are you counting as 'your time'?

>=1980 - the time of Jade.
Okay, in that time we've had:

• 1981-82 Caaaaarlton
  • 1984-85 Essendon
  • 1988-89 Hawthorn
  • 1997-98 Adelaide
  • 2001-02 Brisbane
  • 2002-03 Brisbane
  • 2013-14 Hawthorn
How are you meant to compare to teams from the 1980s you probably have little memory of?

Okay, in that time we've had:

• 1981-82 Caaaaarlton
  • 1984-85 Essendon
  • 1988-89 Hawthorn
  • 1997-98 Adelaide
  • 2001-02 Brisbane
  • 2002-03 Brisbane
  • 2013-14 Hawthorn
How are you meant to compare to teams from the 1980s you probably have little memory of?

Easily.

I'd probably say the 81-82 Blues were weaker as well - but the rest, all stronger.

A premiership is a premiership and back to back is back to back. We shouldn't be talking about weak premiers when it's been 14 years since we were premiers... I'd rather what is perceived as a weak premiership than not have one at all... Let alone back to back.

Just as an aside, the 97 and 98 Crows have honestly got to be in the bottom handful of premiership sides ever....
They just knew how to produce the goods in finals.

The 1998 one is especially interesting, given that they finished fifth, played Melbourne who finished fourth in the first week of the finals and got flogged to the tune of eight goals. Yet because of the system used at the time, they survived that mauling and clicked into gear thereafter.

A premiership is a premiership and back to back is back to back. We shouldn't be talking about weak premiers when it's been 14 years since we were premiers... I'd rather what is perceived as a weak premiership than not have one at all... Let alone back to back.
Put it this way, when we next win a flag we'll have detractors using everything from weakest premiership side, Martians and drugs as detractors.

And you know what? I couldn't give a flying *. Let them.

Check out this pair from a piss and poo supporter on the MB:

Now, obviously not all of it's delusional but when I called him out on it with Sydney 2012 he followed up with this:

Yes, Pyke, Mumford, Goodes and Reid are far better (as of 2012) when the 4 of them kicked a whopping 2 more goals than Schulz and Ryder between them last year.
like the way the toilet user reckons we dont have any quality talls in the forward line. Next few years of development into carlisle and JD and i am more than happy with what we have. Rotate Bellchambers and Giles through there and i think we have a s**t load more to offer than the umpire assisted hawks

Easily.

I'd probably say the 81-82 Blues were weaker as well - but the rest, all stronger.

Despite the fact we are talking about (*) Carlton, it's a bit hard to dismiss that team when they also won it in '79, giving them 3 in 4 years. That's a brilliant achievement no matter which way you look at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just as an aside, the 97 and 98 Crows have honestly got to be in the bottom handful of premiership sides ever....

Carlton team of the early 80's was awesome. You are under-estimating their ability.

Oh how I love pre season and the optimism it brings fans and the like.

here is a gem from down Punt Rd way

He will surprise many on here as well as opposition.
He's gonna fit a fifty cent coin up Heppels browny
Wants to play midfield Rusty so forget this negative backline talk
He's ready to explode guys

- speaking about Conca finally breaking out into this man child wilder beast they are expectant of a top 5 draft pick.

- speaking about Conca finally breaking out into this man child wilder beast they are expectant of a top 5 draft pick.
LOL

Would not turn my back on him if I were an opposition player.

Would not turn my back on him if I were an opposition player.
I wouldn't either.

560169-91e2b16e-1a48-11e4-8adb-938012f29f27.jpg

I think we are ahead of Collingwood - we made the finals this year and finished ahead of them last year. We can't beat them, but that just makes them a bogey team not a better team (ask the Hawks about us). But I also think it's a moot point. The fact is that four years ago they won a grand final and we were favourites for the wooden spoon. I think our list is better placed in more general terms and our movement has been up (until this year when we tread water) while there's has been downwards every year since Buckley took over. Also I argued that we'd improved out position viz a viz Geelong not that we'd overtaken them.

From the Punt Rd dribblers.

Honestly WTF. Collingwood were DECIMATED by injury this year. They have a much better list than the Tigers who essentially have no depth anywhere on the field.

I like Richmond's list better than Collingwood's list presently; though both are lacking in the lower parts of their best-25 squad. I've had many arguments with multifarious clubs supporters over Richmond's 2014 campaign. I regard their season as a failure. Obviously, they had some important injuries early on, but nevertheless, the no-show final against Port basically consolidated their 2013 finals pretender shame.

In any event, any team wanting to aspire to anything in the next two years shouldn't be comparing themselves to Collingwood, who are either rebuilding on the run, or a basketcase. Though at least Collingwood has players that have won finals and flags, unlike Richmond.

I would take Collingwood's list ahead of Richmond's, purely because I believe that they're more likely to get a flag with their current list. They have a good, young spine with Grundy, Darcy Moore, Witts, Frost and Keefe, as well as potentially a McCartin/Wright at 5 which would set them for the future. Reid isn't all that old at 25 either as a bloke who could play forward or back.

I would take Collingwood's list ahead of Richmond's, purely because I believe that they're more likely to get a flag with their current list. They have a good, young spine with Grundy, Darcy Moore, Witts, Frost and Keefe, as well as potentially a McCartin/Wright at 5 which would set them for the future. Reid isn't all that old at 25 either as a bloke who could play forward or back.
I would take Collingwood's list simply because the other option is Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back