PS3 Demon's Souls

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Demon's Souls (PS3)

I'm going to get Demon's Souls sooner or later because I'm sick of all these easy games I have at the moment (AC2 especially).

Hope it's as hard as everyone says.

I think this one is the one that gets HARDER every time you die, not easier

So get yourself killed a few times for a challenge

I think this one is the one that gets HARDER every time you die, not easier

So get yourself killed a few times for a challenge
Yeah, that's what it is. The enemies get harder when you die and not only that if you don't get to the spot where you did die and you die again then you lose all the souls you've collected (and souls=money in this game).

Really, until the spider boss I didn't think the game was all that hard, I died a fair few times but had always got back to my souls point. The spider boss was just so ridiculous I put it down.

Honestly, I never knew how to use the magic abilities. So I was in a bit of trouble right off the bat there.:eek:
Yeah it took me a while to figure that out too, you need to equip a catalyst for the magic abilities.

Honestly the spider boss wasn't that hard when you knew how to beat him, although I did spam the s**t out of the moon grass which might have been a bit cheap.

You can hide behind some thing where the spider can't hit you and just shoot him with magic. But it's rediculous if you don't know that (I died sooo fast the first time)

Yeah, that's what it is. The enemies get harder when you die and not only that if you don't get to the spot where you did die and you die again then you lose all the souls you've collected (and souls=money in this game).

Really, until the spider boss I didn't think the game was all that hard, I died a fair few times but had always got back to my souls point. The spider boss was just so ridiculous I put it down.

That's not really true. The enemies remain the same difficulty regardless of how many times you die in Soul form. If you die in Body form eventually the world will reach Black tendency which is where they get more difficult. It's unlikely you'd trigger Black / Pure Black tendency without trying though unless you're just using Ephemeral Stones whenever you die.

Also if you think the Spider is an issue I'd avoid others such as the Maneaters or the whatever that fire demon was called.

Such a good game though it really is worth breaking a few controllers over :D.

Only thing that sucked about Demon's Souls is trying to get a filthy Pure Bladestone :mad:

I just charged right up to the Spider and took the ****er head on.

Was epic.

Demon's Souls is not hard, it merely punishes those who have no patience and refuse to learn. Compared to most of the games released these days (which hold your hand with checkpoints every 5 minutes) it may seem hard.

NG+ is serious business though, however honestly I cannot believe people are having trouble with the spider on their first play through... that is one of the easiest bosses.

Equip thief's ring. (The spider can't see you and won't spit projectiles at you until you get half way down the tunnel that way)

Equip purple flame shield. This will absorb almost all the damage from the fireball projectiles.

Sprint down the tunnel with shield raised until you get right in front of it. Once you get to a certain proximity it will lash out with its legs at you. You want to stay around that area, blocking the leg slashes with shield. Keep moving in closer between strikes to lure out the falling attack, then you wail on him. Once he gets back up, retreat slightly and block his leg attacks. Rinse, repeat until dead. If his mouth glows sprint down the tunnel and wait it out, then start all over again.

@Cynic, NG+++, pure black world tendency, dual katana skeleton in the hidden tunnel. Got a pure BS to drop after killing him about 10 times. The higher the NG, the better chance of drop.

Demon's Souls is not hard, it merely punishes those who have no patience and refuse to learn. Compared to most of the games released these days (which hold your hand with checkpoints every 5 minutes) it may seem hard.

NG+ is serious business though, however honestly I cannot believe people are having trouble with the spider on their first play through... that is one of the easiest bosses.

Equip thief's ring. (The spider can't see you and won't spit projectiles at you until you get half way down the tunnel that way)

Equip purple flame shield. This will absorb almost all the damage from the fireball projectiles.

Sprint down the tunnel with shield raised until you get right in front of it. Once you get to a certain proximity it will lash out with its legs at you. You want to stay around that area, blocking the leg slashes with shield. Keep moving in closer between strikes to lure out the falling attack, then you wail on him. Once he gets back up, retreat slightly and block his leg attacks. Rinse, repeat until dead. If his mouth glows sprint down the tunnel and wait it out, then start all over again.

@Cynic, NG+++, pure black world tendency, dual katana skeleton in the hidden tunnel. Got a pure BS to drop after killing him about 10 times. The higher the NG, the better chance of drop

Only on NG++ but have killed him in excess of 100 times. Can't stand grinding though so it remains non-Platinum thanks to that selfish bugger, "Hurrah another Soul Remains / Chunk of Bladestone" :mad:.

I feel your pain. On NG+ I killed him 50 times (I actually counted....). I thought **** this and smashed through another two times to get to NG+++. Mere words cannot describe the feeling of triumph and relief when you see that Pure BS on the screen.

I assume you are aware of the morion blade, rat's ring method? You can smash through playthroughs quickly doing that.

I feel your pain. On NG+ I killed him 50 times (I actually counted....). I thought **** this and smashed through another two times to get to NG+++. Mere words cannot describe the feeling of triumph and relief when you see that Pure BS on the screen.

I assume you are aware of the morion blade, rat's ring method? You can smash through playthroughs quickly doing that.

Yeah, it's been so long since I played though and every time I pick it up and just give it 30 minutes it just ends in rage.

Not exactly the sort of game you can put down and pick up again...more the sort of game you struggle to put down despite it costing years of your life and a number of unfortunately fragile inanimate objects.

The worst thing about grinding the black phantom was when you'd misjudge the Soulsucker distance due to zoning off from boredom and he'd turn around and gut you :(

Okay, so played this for the first time yesterday.

Got my arse handed to me in less than 5 seconds by the boss in the tutorial, but wasn't too fussed.

Then started on Broletarian (s?) Castle and got about 3500 souls before getting my arse wooped by some knight with a red face, then died before I could get back to pick up my souls.

Should I be building up my souls on the easy(er) enemies, then going back to the nexus to buy s**t, then returning to stock up on souls again, eventually building up my stats and weapons to take on the harder enemies eventually?

My advice, is stay away from the red knight until you beat that level :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just started myself a couple of days a go, also got my ass handed to me by the boss and the red knight :)

Each level is segmented into parts so 1-1, 1-2, 1-3.. etc. Think he means wait until you've beaten the first segment to defeat that guy. I've seen a bookmark saying wait till soul level 40 to fight him.

I'll put it this way. When you can start that area in a different spot (basically when you are up to level 1-2). That is when you can probably fight the red eyed knight. And you would probably be better off waiting even longer.

EDIT: The other advice i'll give is stay away from walkthroughs, they seriously ruin the game (I looked at them way after the first level thankfully, but it was so satisfying beating that level on my own).

Okay, so played this for the first time yesterday.

Got my arse handed to me in less than 5 seconds by the boss in the tutorial, but wasn't too fussed.

Then started on Broletarian (s?) Castle and got about 3500 souls before getting my arse wooped by some knight with a red face, then died before I could get back to pick up my souls.

Should I be building up my souls on the easy(er) enemies, then going back to the nexus to buy s**t, then returning to stock up on souls again, eventually building up my stats and weapons to take on the harder enemies eventually?

So you've finished 1-1? You can't level up till you've beaten Phalanx. Honestly for 1-1 don't stress too much about souls, just focus on not making the same mistake that killed you the last time.

As opposed to the other levels there are a few shortcuts that can be activated that will make your life easier.

In short, just persevere through 1-1, don't bother going back to the Nexus to spend your pennies.

So you've finished 1-1? You can't level up till you've beaten Phalanx. Honestly for 1-1 don't stress too much about souls, just focus on not making the same mistake that killed you the last time.

As opposed to the other levels there are a few shortcuts that can be activated that will make your life easier.

In short, just persevere through 1-1, don't bother going back to the Nexus to spend your pennies.

lol - I'm so s**t. I haven't even seen Phalanx yet!

Thanks for the tips guys, will perservere and see how I go. :thumbsu:

How are you guys definining 1-1, 1-2 etc?

Is this listed on some sort of map within the game or part of a menu?

When you kill a boss you can go directly to where they died from the Nexus.

i.e. After you kill the boss of 1-1, Phalanx, you're able to warp straight to the spot he died. The area ahead is known as 1-2 and after you kill the second 1-3 and so on.

When you kill a boss you can go directly to where they died from the Nexus.

i.e. After you kill the boss of 1-1, Phalanx, you're able to warp straight to the spot he died. The area ahead is known as 1-2 and after you kill the second 1-3 and so on.

Okay cool. So is it possible to enter area 1-2 without completing 1-1 for example (or 2-3 without completing 2-1 etc)?

Okay cool. So is it possible to enter area 1-2 without completing 1-1 for example (or 2-3 without completing 2-1 etc)?

Nope.

While the levels can be massive in size rest assured you'll find a bottle neck at the end with some large hulking beast in your way between areas :).

It's a little bit depressing actually finally getting to the end of a level and realising some monstrosity is going violate you and send you back to the start :(.

Have fun with that :D

Nope.

While the levels can be massive in size rest assured you'll find a bottle neck at the end with some large hulking beast in your way between areas :).

It's a little bit depressing actually finally getting to the end of a level and realising some monstrosity is going violate you and send you back to the start :(.

Have fun with that :D

LOL :D

Thanks for your help mate. :thumbsu:

Pre-ordered Dark Soul's: Collectors Edition and the Official Guide :)

Have avoided all real spoilers to date so should be epic! Just got to wait for it to arrive now :(

Good quote from http://www.ology.com/technology/dark-souls-just-getting-ridiculous

Josh Harrison said:
Watch Dark Souls defy the very laws of digital physics in the following trailer, titled "All Saints' Day." It's basically guaranteed that you will rage at each and every single one of the monsters depicted herein. The multi-headed dragon/hydra beastie? You will throw your controller out the window, where it will ruin some kid's snowman. (Some kids build snowmen in October. They are the best kids, and you have just destroyed their childhoods.) The giant spidery bug thing? You will invent a racial slur. If you think for a second that Dark Souls is messing around, you are kidding yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back