Depressing songs

Remove this Banner Ad

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone else have an obsession for depressing songs? Not necessarily sad songs but rather songs that have a depressing feel about them.

Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about:

If you know any more that fit this theme, please post them. :)

EDIT: After a bit of research, I found that this subgenre is known as 'shoegazing'.

Last edited:
You could post 50% of music in here. The only things worth writing about essentially boil down to joy and sadness. What a broad topic.

You could post 50% of music in here. The only things worth writing about essentially boil down to joy and sadness. What a broad topic.

I don't necessarily mean sad songs though. It's hard to describe what I mean, that's why I posted the three songs in the OP to show you the theme I'm looking for. For example, 'Tears in Heaven' by Clapton and 'Brick' by Ben Folds are bloody sad songs but they don't fit the theme that's in the OP. Plugger's post was spot on.

Yeh my Itunes is filled with them.

I've always found melancholy music to be my favourite and great proportion of my most played songs are very depressing.

And the classic, posted every thread about the subject

been on a massive true widow kick for a good 6 months now since their last album. mellow, sit on a riff, introspective. possible stoner metal influence and vocal harmony.

bardo pond, less subtle drug influence.

quite a lot of post-rock / post-metal is probably appropriate as well, ie red sparowes, grails, etc

Elliott Smith is probably my favourite musician and Radiohead favourite band. Joy Division's music really appealed to me as well. So in conclusion Highly Likely. Having said that i'm pretty bad with lyrics and don't really pay attention until sometimes years later. But both bands definitely have a depressing and moody element to their music which appeals to me. It's like watching movies I guess I like a good drama as well.
EDIT: After a bit of research, I found that this subgenre is known as 'shoegazing'.
Not a bad genre

one of my favorite songs

Elliott Smith is probably my favourite musician and Radiohead favourite band. Joy Division's music really appealed to me as well. So in conclusion Highly Likely. Having said that i'm pretty bad with lyrics and don't really pay attention until sometimes years later. But both bands definitely have a depressing and moody element to their music which appeals to me. It's like watching movies I guess I like a good drama as well.

Not a bad genre

one of my favorite songs

Slowdive are so good.

People always talk about the sounds and textures with shoegaze bands but I think Slowdive had amazing lyrics as well.

So did My Bloody Valentine actually. Ethereal, but beautiful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+1 for Antlers.

Could easily throw in Bear, Two, Epilogue, Wake, Sylvia..

Hospice is a pretty depressing album in general. They're really should make a movie about it because it's actually got a great storyline and the whole thing has so much implicit depth, and surprisingly, quite a lot of character development.

Does anyone else have an obsession for depressing songs? Not necessarily sad songs but rather songs that have a depressing feel about them.

Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about:

If you know any more that fit this theme, please post them. :)

Geez, you have my teenage years record collection......and I thought I was happy

Shivers by The Boys Next Door springs to mind. Bloody great song though.

I think I first heard that in a freaked out B grade film with michael hutchins; dogs in space!

Speaking of Michael Hutchence, he used to have a blink-and-you'll-miss-it side project band called Max Q. This song, Way of the World, is depressing as f*ck.

I had completely forgotten about Max Q

I liked the song but your right re depressing.

Me too! :)

My sister introduced me to the film. Apparently she knew someone in it, plus she had an uber crush on Michael back in the day (like everyone). I was pretty young when I first watched it, but that song stood out even then. I am not a fan of much of Nick Cave's work, but when he gets it right it's something else.

Agree re Nick's work.

He has an amazing spectrum of music, drawings, painting etc ranging from semi happy through to rage and depression.

The ship song, into my arms and do you love me would rank amongst his best solo work.

Another big one for me that I looked over.

Here's my fave. Covered by an absolute heap of bands. Peter Laughner who wrote it drank himself to death at the age of 24. Talk about prophetic

Last edited:
I had completely forgotten about Max Q

I liked the song but your right re depressing.

Don't get me wrong - it's a fantastic song. The lyrics themselves... Life's a meatgrinder, man!

You are born into this world
Looking down the barrel of a gun
And those who hold the gun
Want you to work fast and die young

And if you don't work
If you don't obey
They'll make you live in fear till your dying day
Those who govern hold the gun to your head
With religions, corporations,
proud of blood they've shed

Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same