Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Visited a local GP up here for the first time, was most educational dealing with a rural/regional doctor. Seeking a prescription for Valium, he advised that it isn't prescribed hardly at all up here, he doesn't and that if I was feeling manic and suicidal..."well, if you do it, just make sure you don't harm anyone else, that's ok"

Report him http://www.oho.qld.gov.au/make-a-complaint/

Article on the success of ketamine in the treatment of depression

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-...ew-treatment-for-long-term-depression/6032306

I've heard the drug companies are trying to develop alternate marketing names and derivatives of ketamine like nasal sprays to get around the fact that there is no patent for it (and therefore limited ability to derive profits).

It's fast acting effects must be very alluring for chronic depression sufferer's used to SSRI's that take weeks to show effects (if any)

Anyone had any experiences with ketamine for depression treatment?

Good to hear. What are your plans for recovery?
I don't really have any except two days ago I rung up this mental health triage and gave details and answered questions over the phone and she sent over these two people to my house yesterday. They're supposedly having a meeting with a doctor/psychiatrist of some sort on Monday morning about me and getting back to me then I should be meeting this doc/psych some time soon to see what my options are.

After 3 years of feeling depressed and suicidal I'm finally deciding to do something about it other than hide away from the world bottling up my thoughts.
Its a long road to recovery when things get entrenched, but the fact you have started is a good thing. Knowing there are options will be a good start. At times it might not seem like there is anything happening, and its hard to open up. I know I've had times where my psychologist sees a small win and all I see is a major backward step. Usually, with hindsight, she's been right.

I think talking about things is harder for males as we are expected to show ourselves as emotionless and strong, and we sometimes hide our thoughts from ourselves in order to hide them from other people. That means that often until we hit the depths and get help we don't know understand, or even recognise, what's happening. Simply accepting the help is the hard part for many of us. It is an act of strength to overcome the fears of facing yourself. Personally, I still don't like me, and probably never will, but I am starting to understand what it is that drives that.

You've fought it without help for so long. Now you can accept the help, and make some progress. It might be slow, it might be hard, but it will be progress.

There is an element of comfort you can take (and keep) when you do something to deal with how you are feeling. Essentially when someone decides to seek help they have taken the first step in taking control of how they feel. I think this act needs to be acknowledged more as it is more than just a first step, more than just a decision, it is courage personified.

Some view it as seeking a means to go get help and see if they can be 'fixed'. I see it as the point where someone decided to take back control of their life and entered the unknown. There is a lot of fear that is associated with seeking help. What if I am diagnosed with a disorder? What if I will always be like this? What if I need medication? What if someone finds out I am seeking help? All of these are fair questions, but none of them compare to 'What happens if I don't do something about this?'

I tip my hat to those who fight through the haze of anxiety and depression and are able to find that voice inside of them that says 'I have got to do something about this.' It can be one of the hardest things you will ever have to do but just taking that first step might be the best thing you ever do.

Know that you're worth it, Believe you're worth it and commit to yourself. It is okay to put yourself first while you work your way through how you're feeling, in fact it is essential.

Today was the first day in months where I haven't had anything on my calendar. I think I've been taking for granted the fact I've been so busy the last few months, because all of todayive felt numb and absolutely hopeless. My negative thoughts have slowly been creeping back over the past two weeks, and today it felt like someone opened a floodgate on me. I don't know if I can handle another battle to make myself feel better again. It was so painful the first time.

Today was the first day in months where I haven't had anything on my calendar. I think I've been taking for granted the fact I've been so busy the last few months, because all of todayive felt numb and absolutely hopeless. My negative thoughts have slowly been creeping back over the past two weeks, and today it felt like someone opened a floodgate on me. I don't know if I can handle another battle to make myself feel better again. It was so painful the first time.
Ive been in the exact same boat my friend. Its the busy activities that distract you, keep your mind off of it.

I went through it recently, but sitting down, and nutting out exactly why your feeling that way and possible ways to solve it helps. And talking to people about whats going on. Its hardto find that person who you can trust like that, but once you do, its the best situation. (I know it sounds cliche, but it truly does work)

The end of an era for me. I have come off my antidepressants after 12 years. I am on Effexor which is really, really nasty stuff to wean off. I was terrified at the prospect of going through the withdrawals.

Thankfully I am fit, healthy and found a doctor who was willing to support me (the others wanted to keep shoving tablets down my throat). I wanted to do this while my parents were overseas. I couldnt handle Mum's fussing while going through withdrawals. Put together a plan and two weeks in, things have gone very, very well. There are tears, a little nausea and the odd brain zap, but with supplements, exercise and a few good people around me, I am going to get through it. I can think clearer and am smiling and far less agro.

I have an employment goal which forced me to come off this stuff. It is poison and I had no idea how evil it was.

Ive been in the exact same boat my friend. Its the busy activities that distract you, keep your mind off of it.

I went through it recently, but sitting down, and nutting out exactly why your feeling that way and possible ways to solve it helps. And talking to people about whats going on. Its hardto find that person who you can trust like that, but once you do, its the best situation. (I know it sounds cliche, but it truly does work)
I was doing fine with a support group around me. But I don't have that anymore, all those people have just drifted out of my life over time.

I'm starting to really consider a councillor if I can afford one.

Is keeping yourself busy as a way to avoid depression, helpful though?

Don't get me wrong, it's important to keep yourself busy, but I think that's the case because "time heals all wounds".

But if you have been busy for a while, and the first instance of time you get to yourself and you feel like s**t, well then it sounds to me that matty6 has some underlying issues he needs to identify and deal with.

Just my 2c

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've done a couple online tests for mental health, all of them place me at the "high risk" level.

I've been thinking about it a lot, and I do really think I need to see someone. I've talked about how I've been feeling with someone that's gone through depression, and they also urged me to get myself checked.

Doesn't Medicare help with subsidies for a number of sessions with a psychologist? I have a feeling they do.
Yep 10 sessions a year like dales.girl38 said. And for "extreme cases" (basically just tell your doctor you need more) I think you can get an extra 4 or 6, but I'm not overly sure. Ask your doctor though.

Hi guys I hope this is ok but just feel I need to talk abit.

I'm 25 and I've had anxiety on and off for quite a lot of my life.
It has particularly gotten worse since about 2 years ago (again on and off)
I have never taken meds for it or done therapy.
I have booked into the doctors for this week and hoping I can either fix this with meds and/or therapy because I can't live like this anymore.
I had to leave work early yesterday because I had a bad panic attack and will be taking abit of time off to get my head right.
The anxiety has been really bad this week and is causing depression for me.

Without my mrs I would be stuffed she has been amazing through some really dark times.
I feel guilty though as I should be strong for her as she is 8 months pregnant.

Anyway does anyone who has conquered anxiety/panic attacks & depression any advice on how to come out the other side?
Thanks

Go to the doc. Take the meds. Set goals and work towards them.

2 things that will make it work 10x better: Exercise and don't drink/smoke pot too much.

Go to the doc. Take the meds. Set goals and work towards them.

2 things that will make it work 10x better: Exercise and don't drink/smoke pot too much.

Stupid me I went to the docs last time I went through this anxiety and never followed it up properly with a psychologist/doctor.
I suppose during that time I learnt to cope with it temporarily and put my head in the sand about it coming back...

Don't smoke tobacco or pot & I only drink occasionally.
I've also decided to quit caffeine for awhile, I used to love my morning coffee and drank abit to much coke.
Gotta steer clear of those as they make my anxiety worse.

Do they normally prescribe anti-depressants? Do they work well in you're experiences?

Stupid me I went to the docs last time I went through this anxiety and never followed it up properly with a psychologist/doctor.
I suppose during that time I learnt to cope with it temporarily and put my head in the sand about it coming back...

Don't smoke tobacco or pot & I only drink occasionally.
I've also decided to quit caffeine for awhile, I used to love my morning coffee and drank abit to much coke.
Gotta steer clear of those as they make my anxiety worse.

Do they normally prescribe anti-depressants? Do they work well in you're experiences?

Have you got an update, mate?

Have you got an update, mate?

I've been on anti depressants for a week now.
Seeing a psychologist soon.
Doc wants to put me on bp meds as my anxiety is raising my bp.
Confused if I really have high bp or if it's just the anxiety.

Anxiety is a real bitch, it's been a rough couple weeks but I'm going to beat it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back