Analysis Depth Chart/Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

As promised I'm starting the Official 2016 List Assessment/Best 22 Discussion thread. I'll be using this thread to get the ball rolling regarding discussion of our list make up and possible best 22 for next year.

Depth Chart.jpg Current Depth Chart after list lodgement

35 Senior List Players
2 Rookie List Players
1 Category B Rookie

I'm expecting us to make no more changes to the list in terms of delistings. I do believe we'll add Moore during delisted free agency from tomorrow. That would leave us 2 draft picks for kids if we stick with 38 senior listed players, would also mean 4 rookie picks.

Last edited:
Best 22/VFL Side
AFL
Backs: Dylan Grimes Troy Chaplin Jake Batchelor
HB: Bachar Houli Alex Rance Chris Yarran
C: Brandon Ellis Shaun Grigg Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Brett Deledio Jack Riewoldt Dustin Martin
F: Ben Lennon Ty Vickery Shane Edwards
R: Ivan Maric Trent Cotchin Anthony Miles
INT: Nick Vlastuin Reece Conca Corey Ellis Ben Griffiths

Backs
With Richardson confirming that Yarran was recruited to play down back I've slotted him into the HBF opposite Houli to give us avenues from the back line on either side of the ground. As much as we struggled in the final against the Roos with their 3 taller forwards I still like the idea of playing Rance & Chaplin in the key posts and using the more mobile Grimes & Batchelor on the 3rd tall forward. The addition of Yarran also paves the way for Vlastuin to make the transition into the midfield.

Midfield
Not much changes from the 2015 season with Lambert making way for Corey Ellis to become a full time mid, while Taylor Hunt makes way from the 22 for Conca to return to the line up. Brandon and McIntosh take up the roles on the wings to provide us run and carry. Grigg to start in the middle with Cotchin & Miles, despite temptation in switching to Hampson I've stuck with Maric as first ruck to start the season, but won't be shocked to see a change made if Maric continues to get beaten in the ruck.

Forwards
Load up the forward line and make the opposition worried about stopping us. Riewoldt and Vickery in the key posts, Deledio & Martin at HF Lennon & Edwards in the pockets. Those 6 are more than capable of kicking 20+ goals each for the season and if they can do that we'll win as many games as we did this season.

Interchange
As mentioned Vlastuin starts the transition into the midfield by coming off the pine as part of the rotation along with Conca and Corey, while Maric and Griffiths can rotate on and off the bench and if needed be used to stretch opposition defenses.

VFL
Backs: Draftee David Astbury Steven Morris
HB: Jason Castagna Todd Elton Draftee
C: Connor Menadue Kane Lambert Nathan Drummond
HF: Daniel Butler Reece McKenzie Draftee
F: Sam Lloyd Liam McBean Jayden Short
R: Shaun Hampson Jake Townsend Taylor Hunt
INT: Ivan Soldo Draftee Draftee Draftee

With the VFL side I'd like to see us try and line up with the same structure as we do in the AFL side. 2 KPD, 2 KPF and plenty of run through the midfield. I'd like to train Castagna & Drummond up to play the same rebounding HB role that Houli & Yarran will be playing. Morris as the small defensive back with Elton & Astbury to settle in the KPD roles instead of floating back and forward. Menadue gets a wing. Butler Short Townsend & Lloyd up forward supporting McBean & McKenzie. Hampson Townsend Lambert & Hunt give us an experienced starting centre square to get us going.

Overall 2 very solid sides on paper. Naturally these sides wouldn't be in play every week, but I think we need to take a role out of the Hawks playbook where the players in the VFL play roles they woud be expected to play in the senior side so that when they are called upon they come in and don't throw out the chemistry of the side. So feel free to rip into my sides, no doubt there will be some who strongly disagree while others will like the look of them. That is what I wanted this thread for to actually generate discussion about the players rather than it often taking over other threads.

Last edited:

Lol. This didnt take long.
I promised it would begin 2 hours or so after trade period ended. As much as we all like to joke I believe that this thread could promote some great discussion points through the summer.

FB: Grimes, Rance, Batchelor

CHB: Yarran, Chaplin, Houli

C: Ellis, Vlastuin, Martin

CHF: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Deledio

FF: Griffiths, Vickery, Lennon

F: Maric, Cotchin, Miles

IC: Cellis, Conca, McIntosh, Grigg

Our third key defender is the big issue and we have to sort it out via the draft if we can now, Small forward is also a worry.

B: Vlastuin Rance Grimes
HB: Yarran Chaplin Houli
C: B. Ellis Miles Grigg
HF: Lennon Riewoldt Edwards
F: Deledio Vickery Griffiths
R: Hampson Cotchin Martin
I/C: Batchelor McIntosh Townsend Conca
EMG: Hunt Maric C. Ellis

Eeeehhh, too hard.

Will get back to you when some training reports pop up over the summer.

I don't know about you guys, but doing this resulted in the leakage of some pre-cum

AFL

FF: Edwards, Vickery, Martin
HF: Yarran, Riewoldt, Deledio
C: Grigg, Cotchin, McIntosh
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlaustuin
FB: Grimes, Chaplin, Batchelor
Foll: Maric, Miles, Lambert

Bench: B.Ellis, Lennon, Conca, Hunt

VFL

FF: Lloyd, McBean, Gordon
HF: Butler, McKenzie, Pick 12
C: Short, Townsend, Drummond
HB: Menadue, Elton, Dea
FB: Morris, Astbury, Castagna
Foll: Hampson, Thomas, C.Ellis

Bench: Soldo, remaining draft picks/rookies

FB: Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, Jake Batchelor
HB: Bachar Houli, Troy Chaplin, Chris Yarran
C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Nick Vlastuin, Brandon Ellis
HF: Brett Deledio, Tyrone Vickery, Shane Edwards
F: Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Lennon
Foll: Ivan Maric, Trent Cotchin, Anthony Miles
Int: Shaun Grigg, Corey Ellis, Jacob Townsend, Ben Griffiths
EMG: Taylor Hunt, Reece Conca, Kane Lambert

B: Vlastuin Rance Grimes
HB: Yarran Chaplin Houli
C: B. Ellis Miles Grigg
HF: Lennon Riewoldt Edwards
F: Deledio Vickery Griffiths
R: Hampson Cotchin Martin
I/C: Batchelor McIntosh Townsend Conca
EMG: Hunt Maric C. Ellis

Eeeehhh, too hard.

Will get back to you when some training reports pop up over the summer.
Couldn't fit Parker in ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22:

B: Batchelor, Rance, Grimes
HB: Houli, Astbury, Vlastuin
C: Deledio, B. Ellis, Grigg
HF: Martin, Vickery, Edwards
F: Yarran, Riewoldt, Lennon

Foll: Maric, Miles, Cotchin

INT: Griffiths, McIntosh, Conca, Townsend

EMG: McBean, Lambert, C. Ellis

Depth:

Chaplin, Morris (defence)
Hunt, Thomas (midfield)
Lloyd, Gordon (forward)
Hampson (ruck)

Developing:

Dea, Elton (defence)
Drummond, Menadue (midfield)
McKenzie, Short, Butler (forward)
Soldo (ruck)

Take Newman from our best 22 in the final and add Townsend, Lennon, C.Ellis and Yarran, and you have a nice 25 core of players.

We have depth with reasonable experience at most positions, and heaps of players looking to make the step-up into the team.

Almost every player on our senior list will be pushing for selection every week. This is what Geelong and Hawthorn have had during their periods of success and we are getting closer to having a strong group in the VFL. We really need to make sure we have some good VFL midfielders though as this is one area we lack.

We should draft 2-3 midfielders and fill the rookie list up with mids.

As promised I'm starting the Official 2016 List Assessment/Best 22 Discussion thread. I'll be using this thread to get the ball rolling regarding discussion of our list make up and possible best 22 for next year.
* off pal

B: Grimes, Rance, Batchelor
HB: Vlastuin, Chaplin, Houli
C: B.Ellis, Cotchin, McIntosh
HF: Martin, Riewoldt, Deledio
F: Lennon, Vickery, Edwards
Fol: Maric, Miles, Conca
Int: Grigg, C.Ellis, Yarran, Griffiths*

Emg: Hunt, Lambert, Menadue, pick 12 hopefully, Townsend hopefully

Griff plays due to the sub rule being ditched. Need a 2nd target for when Tyrone is rucking.

Not sure where Yarran will play. Will he take Newman's spot or someone like Hunt's?

I want to see Cellis become a regular and Menadue start to knock the door down.

Last edited:
Not sure why Yarran has to be play in the backline, we are already okay in that department with so many half back flankers, we need him more importantly in our forward reeking havoc around vickery, griff and jack

I agree stick him up forward * defence. We need more goal kickers .

Yarran and Houli will rotate. Dimma wants the team to be flexible like the Hawks. Both will spend time forward and back IMO.

Our back 7 won't change much for 2016, I think it's pretty settled. Although I'd like to see Elton or Astbury push Chaplin out.

With no sub you'd think Griff and Tyrone will both play every week with one being Ivan's back up.

Really hope we see more of Lennon, C Ellis and Menadue next year and Conca of course

List is looking pretty strong now. I'm still hoping we rookie McDonough and delist Thomas. Anyway here's my 22 which should make top 4 and a good premiership chance.

FB houli rance yarran
HB grimes astbury batchelor
C edwards cotchin ellis
HF deledio vickery lennon
FF martin reiwoldt griffiths
FOLL maric vlastuin miles
INT mcintosh ellis conca grigg
EMER lambert hunt mcbean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back