Analysis Depth Chart/Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

This wont help us next year but as farreally e list goes beyond 2016 we could take kieran Collins at pick 12 and a bloke like Lachie Keefe with our last nd pick.
Our Kpd stocks would then look like this. Chaplin 30. Rance 26, Keefe 25, Astbury 24, Elton 22, Collins 18. It covers all bases, the imminent retirement delisting of Chaplin and allows us to get a couple of seasons into a quality kid without pressure.. Allows for Elton and Astbury not making it which is a possibility. It actually gives us cover both short and long term. The trouble is its not an immediate solution.
On Keefe hes an ideal opponent for resting rucks and types like your Tippets Ben Browns etc.The trouble is suspension.I would love for us to take him as i felt he was really coming into his own as a player before being rubbed out.

On Griffiths i think hes played his best footy for us when on the ball.

If we get Collins he might get the gig ahead of Chaplin.

I am starting to find it really hard to put players in now.

Here goes.

Conca Collins Grimes
Moore Rance Houli
McIntosh Cotchin Lids
Lennon Griffith's Martin
Edwards TV Reiwoldt

Ruck Maric, Vlastuin, Miles

Bench: Yarran, Ellis, Grigg, Ellis

Apologies for those that I missed as just went with who was on my mind.

Interesting to see how Kennedy goes and if he can push someone out

Think this is better

Vlastuin Rance Grimes
Yarran Chaplin Houli
McIntosh Townsend Ellis
Lennon Deledio Martin
Edwards TV Reiwoldt

Ruck Maric, Cotchin Miles

Bench: Oliver, Grigg, Ellis, Moore

Think this is better

Vlastuin Rance Grimes
Yarran Chaplin Houli
McIntosh Townsend Ellis
Lennon Deledio Martin
Edwards TV Reiwoldt

Who's Oliver?

Think this is better

Vlastuin Rance Grimes
Yarran Chaplin Houli
McIntosh Townsend Ellis
Lennon Deledio Martin
Edwards TV Reiwoldt

I would pick Oliver over Collins but the trouble is he might not be there.

I actually think if they pick Collins it might save a few people getting the sack. If they get cover for Chaplin when he gets moved on they can still launch something in 2017 particularly if they pick up a Goldstein in the 2016 off season. At least they would have provided the flexibility and scope for the team to develop and improve as the elder types get upgraded

But we will still be lacking midfield grunt, class and rotations...

Lids doesn't play there anymore and Martin is a part timer who also is better suited to the fwd line where he can be one on one.

That leaves us with Miles and Cotchin and hopefully one of Townsend or Moore, maybe c.Ellis but we need another quality Mid because if you cN shut Cotchin down we suffer, Miles gets plenty of it but doesn't have the same hurt factor as Cotchin as he is more grind than class.

Con a is unknown due to injury and Mcintosh and B.Ellis are outside, as Grigg should be.

At least with yarran it will be hard to shut down both Houli and Yaz as one of them should get off the leash.

I wanna see McBean lennnon and Ellis as regulars next year which I rekon they will be! Th bean adds something different to the forward line and always leads... Which is good as our forward line at time can look like paddock of stagnant cows!
For me grigg is on notice, had an ok year but I rekon we can replace him with a better option. Same with hunt

I wanna see McBean lennnon and Ellis as regulars next year which I rekon they will be! Th bean adds something different to the forward line and always leads... Which is good as our forward line at time can look like paddock of stagnant cows!
For me grigg is on notice, had an ok year but I rekon we can replace him with a better option. Same with hunt
McBean might lead but he struggles to catch the ball when no-one is around him, and has no presence at all in contested marking situations. Sure he's agile and reasonable below his knees for a guy his size but that's only because he's already dropped the ball. Until he can impose himself on a contest consistently, he can stay in the VFL. I don't get the McBean love, sorry. (cue tidal wave of abuse)

McBean might lead but he struggles to catch the ball when no-one is around him, and has no presence at all in contested marking situations. Sure he's agile and reasonable below his knees for a guy his size but that's only because he's already dropped the ball. Until he can impose himself on a contest consistently, he can stay in the VFL. I don't get the McBean love, sorry. (cue tidal wave of abuse)
I'd just like to give him good run at it! Griff is starting t really s**t me and I don't think he's gonna make it.

Agree about Griffiths he just doesn't do enough, doesn't hit contests doesn't impact the scoreboard just doesn't do much at all apart from occupy space
Needs to try CHB as I would prefer Deledio or Mcbean playing CHF

Agree about Griffiths he just doesn't do enough, doesn't hit contests doesn't impact the scoreboard just doesn't do much at all apart from occupy space
Needs to try CHB as I would prefer Deledio or Mcbean playing CHF

Deledio's best position by far is HFF pushing up into the midfield yet still is close enough to goals.

McBean at this juncture doesn't have the body of a CHF, and would be better as a 3rd tall. McKenzie would be the closest thing to a CHF after Griffiths.

Griffiths has played CHB before with limited success. Injury issues may also have hampered is performance this year. His contested marking was a real impact last year at times. Though conaistency is an issue. Also he played more up the ground allowing Riewoldt and Vickery to be key points up forward (see Sydney game he was exceptional playing basically on a wing). His goal kicking and set shot accuracy is an issue but he's definitely young enough to have a ton of improvement in him in many areas.

Interesting to see if Vickery can hold down the CHF spot and make it a battle between McBean and Griffiths for the 3rd tall.

Also keep in mind cap restrictions and (especially) the elimination of the sub rule will likely see two ruckman fulltime. Obviously Maric has the number 1 spot locked down but with Vickery and Griffiths able to pinch hit it gives the latter an advantage over McBean.

I agree 100 %

I agree 100 %

Agree about Mcbean as not stronv enough for CHF also my point about Deledio is not playing a true CHF but 3 mobile marking flankers
Vickery is better suited closer to goal and can be the relief ruck which means Maric goes fwd when resting
Still don't see Griffiths in the 22 as I would prefer more run
We picked him to combat north's talls but that failed as they beat us for run anyway and he didn't contribute on the scoreboard

Waite got off the leash and kicked 4 goals but that didn't win them the match. in hindsight Lennon probably would have provided more imput than Griffiths but the coaching panel had a thing about North's height....

Agree about Mcbean as not stronv enough for CHF also my point about Deledio is not playing a true CHF but 3 mobile marking flankers
Vickery is better suited closer to goal and can be the relief ruck which means Maric goes fwd when resting
Still don't see Griffiths in the 22 as I would prefer more run
We picked him to combat north's talls but that failed as they beat us for run anyway and he didn't contribute on the scoreboard

Waite got off the leash and kicked 4 goals but that didn't win them the match. in hindsight Lennon probably would have provided more imput than Griffiths but the coaching panel had a thing about North's height....
I agree that Griffiths was very disappointing in the final, and overall through the year the output didn't match the faith the match committee had in him... I know he came off 8 weeks out with a broken finger so his performance in the EF was set up to fail, but even earlier in the year he teased without being consistent.

However, it's easy to overlook his role as a 2nd ruckman, where he is clearly superior to Vickery. It really is a concern - he's become one of the worst set shots for goal in the whole AFL despite previously being a beautiful kick, so I have real concerns about his mental approach to the contest and adversity overall. The 2 step run up clearly doesn't work for him. The 2nd ruck role is an real weakness and part of the reason there are so many mixed feelings about the midfield depth - much easier for the midfield to look good when the ball is being hit to your advantage consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, which is probably why the stats say we are one of the best scorers from HBF and the need for another speedster there will help if Houli is shutdown as it's hard to shut both flanks down

The hardness in the middle helps us win ball back and also to protect our mids from pressure whilst they are clearing it

A dominant Ruck helps but teams have shown that Freo and North can be beaten whilst getting killed in the ruck

What if we finish 10th?

Not saying we will, but I just had a lunch and one Tiger who's been around a lot longer than me reckons that's where we'll come next year.

Ooooh boy

What about chb. He only has to get a fist in to be effective. 200cm bloke with lots of agility great reach good pace can cover the ground Reads the ball well think Fletcher. The need to mark the ball is taken away. This kid in his draft year played extremely well as a defender in fact it is probably the best he has played at elite level.

With the weaknesses he has shown lack of marking, lack of intensity, poor defensively and the clubs previous willingness to try tall fwds down back and get a bit of defense into their games im surprised the club have not tried this.

Its odd we have a bloke who has probably played his best footy as a defender but refuse to try him in defense yet we try blokes like Astbury Elton Griffiths even Post before them who had played better footy as fwds but we try em down back.

What about chb. He only has to get a fist in to be effective. 200cm bloke with lots of agility great reach good pace can cover the ground Reads the ball well think Fletcher. The need to mark the ball is taken away. This kid in his draft year played extremely well as a defender in fact it is probably the best he has played at elite level.

With the weaknesses he has shown lack of marking, lack of intensity, poor defensively and the clubs previous willingness to try tall fwds down back and get a bit of defense into their games im surprised the club have not tried this.

Its odd we have a bloke who has probably played his best footy as a defender but refuse to try him in defense yet we try blokes like Astbury Elton Griffiths even Post before them who had played better footy as fwds but we try em down back.
Interesting thought but who does he replace there? Chaplin, for all his deficiencies, is a very cerebral player who helps organise the defense - not sure McBean has the same defensive football IQ. Batchelor - perhaps, but Batchelor can match up on smaller players, not sure McBean could do the same. You are describing a poor (almost destitute) man's Grimes - but we already have the original version. I'm not sure the team is at a stage where it needs to experiment - give him a go at VFL level and see if he can do it, by all means. I do think his best value is as a 3rd tall mobile forward, but 4 years in he has to show some improvement, especially in contested situations.

Yarran it seems by all accounts will slot into that back 7, for me that probably is in Hunt's role as that floating half back/mid where he can not only utilise his line-breaking/goalkicking talents best but also means it doesn't hurt us as much if he isn't particularly defensively accountable. I think we will see Griffiths remain as with the abolition of the sub rule I think we will see most clubs much more happy to play that extra tall. I suspect the club probably expects one of Townsend/Moore to line up and be that inside support for Cotch but it is hard to fit them in and I'll wait till I get a better look at them before slotting them in.

B: Batchelor, Chaplin, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin
B: B.Ellis, Cotchin, McIntosh
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Lennon
F: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Vickery
R: Maric, Miles, Martin
I: Yarran, Grigg, Conca, C.Ellis

EMG: Hunt, Townsend, Menadue

Interesting thought but who does he replace there? Chaplin, for all his deficiencies, is a very cerebral player who helps organise the defense - not sure McBean has the same defensive football IQ. Batchelor - perhaps, but Batchelor can match up on smaller players, not sure McBean could do the same. You are describing a poor (almost destitute) man's Grimes - but we already have the original version. I'm not sure the team is at a stage where it needs to experiment - give him a go at VFL level and see if he can do it, by all means. I do think his best value is as a 3rd tall mobile forward, but 4 years in he has to show some improvement, especially in contested situations.
Did you see anything of him in his draft year. I did and i think the club has it wrong.He can play defense and play there very well. Imo he just needs to be developed there.
Imo clubs are going with very tall 2nd or 3rd tall forwards geez look at us with Griffiths Vickery. Tippett, Ben brown come to mind then theres a plethora of 2nd ruckmen who rest fwd Hale, Ceglar stanley come to mind. what better to have a player at 200cm and who will hopefully get a bit bigger to deal with these types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back