Dermott Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems knowledgable enough for a special comments guy, but he is beginning to annoy me with his patronising attitude towards poor teams or young players. Sounds like he is coaching an under 10's side.

Great post lad! It might not have come off the way you wanted it to, but you cannot fault the effort expended.

Gotta feeling that Dermott will cop a few subtle jibes as a prank tomorrow when he interviews boomer harvey.
Hoping that boomer gives dermie heaps about his controversies during his career. Hoping boomer also gives dermie a verbal clip over the ear about being suspended as well.

On league teams after he ask's the panel a question, you'd swear he was admiring himself in a mirror, he's not too worried about actually hearing the answer! Always concentrating on your's truly so to speak!

He takes the longest route to get to his point, but he consistently has valid points.
He is 100 times more interesting (and intelligent) than most of the other media types.

Obviously though, being a Hawthorn supporter, my opinion doesn't count.

He takes the longest route to get to his point, but he consistently has valid points.
He is 100 times more interesting (and intelligent) than most of the other media types.

Obviously though, being a Hawthorn supporter, my opinion doesn't count.
I think you are stretching it with the intelligence aspect of Dermie. One of his theories on the game that has real merit though, I must admit, is the 100 point theory. You often hear Dermie mention if a team score 100 points, it very rarely loses. I found myslef at 3 quarter time in the hawks-sydney game, thinking if Hawthorn get's to 100 they will win. Sure enough, it was enough. It's his best point on the game I reckon, first guy i heard bring it up and it is valid.

I think you are stretching it with the intelligence aspect of Dermie. One of his theories on the game that has real merit though, I must admit, is the 100 point theory. You often hear Dermie mention if a team score 100 points, it very rarely loses. I found myslef at 3 quarter time in the hawks-sydney game, thinking if Hawthorn get's to 100 they will win. Sure enough, it was enough. It's his best point on the game I reckon, first guy i heard bring it up and it is valid.
That's what I call understatement.;) One of the most overrated football commentators in the market place in my view.

Still recall the time the Hawks were looking to replace Peter Schwab. The selection panel included God's gift to football, Dunsall (who does have an astute footy brain) and one other. The story goes the other two were dead set keen on Clarkson but Brereton wanted his old mate Ayers. The rest is history.

That's his theory?

I heard that theory years ago and I still watch to see who gets to a 100 first. It has something like a 97% strike rate. Don't know were I heard the theory but it definately wasn't Brereton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that theory years ago and I still watch to see who gets to a 100 first. It has something like a 97% strike rate. Don't know were I heard the theory but it definately wasn't Brereton.
It's not really a theory though, is it? Especially this year. It's one step away saying 'highest scorer wins'. Not to mention that it's not that relevant anymore either:

Only 2.6% of losing teams have hit 100 points this year (never mind first) - so of course basically every team to hit 100 points wins.
Conversely 46% of winning teams have not hit 100 points - what rule should we come up to explain this significant proportion of games?

It's not really a theory though, is it? Especially this year. It's one step away saying 'highest scorer wins'. Not to mention that it's not that relevant anymore either:

Only 2.6% of losing teams have hit 100 points this year (never mind first) - so of course basically every team to hit 100 points wins.
Conversely 46% of winning teams have not hit 100 points - what rule should we come up to explain this significant proportion of games?

Good work SJ, I'm sure I will hear some expert on Foxtel quote your 2.6% figure at some stage over the weekend. Probably D Brereton. I'd be almost certain he's reading this thread.

lol Dermutt is unbearable.

An example Dermutt line:

"Little George Burbury's a ripper, he's a good 6'2, 6'2 and a half, 13 stone in the old measure, in a few years he will likely become one of the genuine all time great attacking small forwards of the competition. He'll kick 50 goals each year from half forward."

Good work SJ, I'm sure I will hear some expert on Foxtel quote your 2.6% figure at some stage over the weekend. Probably D Brereton. I'd be almost certain he's reading this thread.
He claims he doesn't care what other people think of him but he is probably the biggest certainty to Google his own name that I've ever seen...

Mind you he probably doesn't care what we all think, he just wants to read about himself good bad or otherwise

lol Dermutt is unbearable.

An example Dermutt line:

"Little George Burbury's a ripper, he's a good 6'2, 6'2 and a half, 13 stone in the old measure, in a few years he will likely become one of the genuine all time great attacking small forwards of the competition. He'll kick 50 goals each year from half forward."

I'll translate:

'George Burbury once appeared on a radio station when I was also in the studio. He was extremely engaging, politely laughed when the three wise men (myself, Andrew Maher and Andrew Gaze) made some fairly predictable jokes about his Tasmanian heritage and he legitimately cracked us up a few times. Therefore, he will clearly become one of Geelong's best ever players. Personality counts more than anything.'

Dermott: No-one actually cares whether you are mates with a player or not. The only thing people care less about is your son, his football team and your supercoach/superdad war stories.

He's a million times more interesting than practically everyone currently working for Channel 7 and everyone else at SEN.

He's a million times more interesting than practically everyone currently working for Channel 7 and everyone else at SEN.
Hi Derm

How are we defining interesting?

I think it's interesting how he can use so many words unnecessarily.
Why use 15 words when you can use 415

David Schwartz and the crew that do the team ins/outs with their atrocious 'what to bring' angle know about 15 words between them.

It's like a dip s**t gang who think their wit is cutting edge because the only people they know are themselves. Also, while Brereton may sometimes mangle sentences and confuse himself with elaborate questions, he is unquestionably more listenable than the rest of those knobs. Their on air presentation skills are caveman-esque. (Matthew Richardson can be lumped in with this mob as well)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back