Dermott Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

David Schwartz and the crew that do the team ins/outs with their atrocious 'what to bring' angle know about 15 words between them.

It's like a dip s**t gang who think their wit is cutting edge because the only people they know are themselves. Also, while Brereton may sometimes mangle sentences and confuse himself with elaborate questions, he is unquestionably more listenable than the rest of those knobs. Their on air presentation skills are caveman-esque. (Matthew Richardson can be lumped in with this mob as well)

Please provide a list of people whom you would define as 'the rest of those knobs'. If all you've got is Mark Allen, David Schwarz and Mark Robinson, that's hardly a ringing endorsement, is it?

When Brereton is interviewing someone, he asks questions to try to make himself seem like a deep thinker, not questions that will generate thought-provoking answers. It is all about him. That's why he's a tosser.

Derm is easily the most self indulgent person in the media today. He loves himself first and foremost and his favorite thing to do is manage to bring every single conversation topic back to himself. When he can't do that in asking questions he asks long winded complex pointless questions in an attempt to make himself sound more intelligent.

As I've said before I prefer Crunch time when plough is on that's how bad he is.. and Vossy cops a hard time on here but he is comfortably more knowledgeable and eloquent than Mr 'Me me me me me me me' Brereton

Derm is easily the most self indulgent person in the media today. He loves himself first and foremost and his favorite thing to do is manage to bring every single conversation topic back to himself. When he can't do that in asking questions he asks long winded complex pointless questions in an attempt to make himself sound more intelligent.

As I've said before I prefer Crunch time when plough is on that's how bad he is.. and Vossy cops a hard time on here but he is comfortably more knowledgeable and eloquent than Mr 'Me me me me me me me' Brereton

This is one the most overplayed criticisms of anyone in the football media

Dermie could speak enthusiastically on a range of football issues for an hour and hold most people's interest with his informed opinions on the game.
His critics will single out the one comment or analogy he makes from his own past experience and people will harp on about those 30 seconds as though he ear-bashed everyone for over an hour with tales of his glory days.

The most self-indulgent person in the footy media is Robbo - he makes himself the subject of everything he says, every story - all about him - even when he's talking about someone else or some random subject, he always makes sure everyone knows it's HIS opinion and then sets about beating everyone over the head with it. He thinks he is bigger than the game itself. Dead set tosser.

Second most self-indulgent person is Bruce McAvaney. He carries on like he loves the game but his commentary is all about Bruce Bruce Bruce, listen to me, you just get the feeling, don't you Bruce? Yes Bruce. BRUUUUUCE!!!

A good commentator adds to the game without getting in the way. McAvaney just distracts everyone from the game - it's all about him and his self-indulgent, over-bearing commentary. OOOOH!! Cyril CARESSES it down his throat. DELLLLLICIOUS!!!

Last edited:
This is one the most overplayed criticisms of anyone in the football media

The most self-indulgent person in the footy media is Robbo - he makes himself the subject of everything he says, every story - all about him - even when he's talking about someone else or some random subject, he always makes sure everyone knows it's HIS opinion and then sets about beating everyone over the head with it. He thinks he is bigger than the game itself. Dead set tosser.

Absolutely correct. Can't express an opinion without mumbling s**t to save himself though.

Please provide a list of people whom you would define as 'the rest of those knobs'. If all you've got is Mark Allen, David Schwarz and Mark Robinson, that's hardly a ringing endorsement, is it?

When Brereton is interviewing someone, he asks questions to try to make himself seem like a deep thinker, not questions that will generate thought-provoking answers. It is all about him. That's why he's a tosser.

I find that to be a common trait in most of the footy commentators/journo's.

I like Dermie on gameday where he can only make comment on whats happening in front of him - reckon he gives a different angle to things which is often interesting if not always correct. If he's allowed to harp on about whatever pops into his head then you're in for an ego trip.:thumbsdown:

Is is just me or has ol' Dermie become unbearable too listen commentate on football ?

Two things that annoy the heck out of me;

1. Takes him 3 minutes to explain something and by the time he's finished i can't even remember what the hell he started talking about. Dribble !

2. His Cyril coloured glasses he wears, stop talking about him all the time. The fact you think he is another level above Chad Wingard demonstrates what a crap commentator you are. I would take Wingard over Cyril everyday !

Rant over.

I don't mind Dermie, he is one former player that knew how to deliver on the big occasion.

Every time I see him, I start thinking about the 84/85 premierships and always have a laugh when he tries to say something nice about Essendon while trying not too.

I don't mind his love for Cyril, if you want a shocking case of man love, look at Bruce and Juddy, even on Brownlow night when Juddy received one vote, Bruce got all excited.

I don't mind Dermie, he is one former player that knew how to deliver on the big occasion.

Every time I see him, I start thinking about the 84/85 premierships and always have a laugh when he tries to say something nice about Essendon while trying not too.

I don't mind his love for Cyril, if you want a shocking case of man love, look at Bruce and Juddy, even on Brownlow night when Juddy received one vote, Bruce got all excited.

The problem is that it's become a self-parody. If Dermott is trying to recreate the Coodabeen Champions and Timmy from Thomastown's love of Craig Starcevich, then he's doing a great job.

Loved watching Dermott strutt his stuff on the footy field for 3 different clubs. However as a fan of his playing I have a massive dislike of his analysis of footy players of today all because he goes too far with everything. What really grinds my gears about Dermott is that he gets a little too personal when talking about legendary players by calling them things like selfish and lazy.
Even when watching Ed and Derm's big week in footy on foxfooty you can see that Dermie has got a long way to go in the media. He needs to really be a little more mature than acting like a selfish, arrogant twat who has his own show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dermie is probably my favourite analyst.

Sure it can be long-winded, but, he gets right a lot.

Agreed. He makes many interesting points.

It's just a shame it takes him 5 minutes to do it, and by that stage most non-Hawks would have been annoyed and tuned out. But he hits the nail on the head quite often.

Agreed. He makes many interesting points.

It's just a shame it takes him 5 minutes to do it, and by that stage most non-Hawks would have been annoyed and tuned out. But he hits the nail on the head quite often.

I haven't worked out if he's inarticulate or just in love with his own voice. I've met him a couple of times and he's a lovely fella though.

I remember him talking about the Ashes tour that England won over there....because let's face it, Derm is an expert at everything sport related :rolleyes: He spent a good 5 mins banging on about how Stuart Broad was a cheat for not walking when he hit one behind, a complete rant, "if i saw him in the street i'd walk up to him and call him a cheat to his face". Then a caller called in talking about how Haddin hit one behind and admitted he knew he'd hit it but didn't walk. Derm spent a good five mins bullshitting about how "Hads, is a good bloke, and good on him for not walking, I wouldn't either, put the onus on the umpire" blah blah bullshit for another 5 mins laughing about 'ah that's the Aussie way'.
Never heard a bigger homer in my life. Talks for the sake of hearing his own voice.

Which is more like cheating: nicking and not walking, or playing like a coward hitting opponents away from the play?
Dermie was a dirty footballer alright, but "playing like a coward" is pretty much the opposite of how I viewed him during his 10 years at Hawthorn.

I've always found it odd that people equate violent acts on the footy field with cowardice. Leigh Matthews, Gary Ablett sr, Barry Hall and Garry Hocking were all "thugs" like Brereton in a sense, but anyone who questions their courage doesn't really have a clue, in my opinion.

I think you need to use another adjective, rather than falling back on that false cliche.

Dermie was a dirty footballer alright, but "playing like a coward" is pretty much the opposite of how I viewed him during his 10 years at Hawthorn.

I've always found it odd that people equate violent acts on the footy field with cowardice. Leigh Matthews, Gary Ablett sr, Barry Hall and Garry Hocking were all "thugs" like Brereton in a sense, but anyone who questions their courage doesn't really have a clue, in my opinion.

I think you need to use another adjective, rather than falling back on that false cliche.

Yep, nothing cowardly about Brereton. In the words of Alan Jeans, Brereton dished it out, but when it came his turn to cop it, he never took a backward step. Brereton has admitted he did some things he is ashamed of, but when it came to courage there was none better than Brereton. Anyone who thinks he was a coward never really saw him play.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back