Destination Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Bullshit rusty, with those guys in 10 weeks earlier they beat us by 10 points at a time we won 2 games in 10 weeks , we were unstoppable thems were the facts. What were your excuses for us winning the previous 8 games in a row
My excuses would be around the fact we played Saint Kilda twice , Brisbane and GWS. I think Essendon are poo, hats off to the Adelaide win and the Port win even though Port were missing Trengrove , Carlisle and Monfries. I just think you are blinded by how close this Comp is and how much these other teams can improve. If you can't look at Carltons successful trading over the last 2 years and give them credit then I'd hate to know what you think of our last 2 years.

My excuses would be around the fact we played Saint Kilda twice , Brisbane and GWS. I think Essendon are poo, hats off to the Adelaide win and the Port win even though Port were missing Trengrove , Carlisle and Monfries. I just think you are blinded by how close this Comp is and how much these other teams can improve. If you can't look at Carltons successful trading over the last 2 years and give them credit then I'd hate to know what you think of our last 2 years.
And if Richmond wasn't missing Maric for half a season, Lids for 5-6 weeks, Rance the same and Jackson though now retired was injured early doors we might not have been 3-10 in the first place. as for carlton, please, they will be worse than this year.

After the FA and trade period it became annoyingly obvious to me how quickly teams can pick themselves up and turn things around in a year with the best example being Brisbane , it also pointed out how clubs can fall out of favour very quickly namely us. After 2013 I reckon we were fast becoming the poster child for a new destination for players looking to join a club on the rise
We lost four players to free agency at the end of 2013, the most of any club. We added one player via trade: Hampson. How on Earth were we "the poster child for a new destination??"

What's obvious is how quickly people overhype this stuff, thinking no-one wanted to play at Brisbane and now everyone does. Most of that is swings and roundabouts, is all.

We had a sniff, there was nothing compelling, so we didn't pay overs for it. Simple enough.

And if Richmond wasn't missing Maric for half a season, Lids for 5-6 weeks, Rance the same and Jackson though now retired was injured early doors we might not have been 3-10 in the first place. as for carlton, please, they will be worse than this year.
Port stuck fat when missing these blokes for 6 weeks and even willed themselves to a 3 point win over the Shemons. We didn't . It was all about holding ground for them while these players where out and holding percentage. They worked there way through it and didn't make excuses.

On Jackson , he was our best player for the early part of the season. Got plenty of the ball and tried his guts out.

We lost four players to free agency at the end of 2013, the most of any club. We added one player via trade: Hampson. How on Earth were we "the poster child for a new destination??"

What's obvious is how quickly people overhype this stuff, thinking no-one wanted to play at Brisbane and now everyone does. Most of that is swings and roundabouts, is all.

We had a sniff, there was nothing compelling, so we didn't pay overs for it. Simple enough.
Who else other than White did we lose to free agency?

Port stuck fat when missing these blokes for 6 weeks and even willed themselves to a 3 point win over the Shemons. We didn't . It was all about holding ground for them while these players where out and holding percentage. They worked there way through it and didn't make excuses.

On Jackson , he was our best player for the early part of the season. Got plenty of the ball and tried his guts out.
I think this was their only win in a 5 week stretch and they got a couple of gifts from the umps late that helped them win that game, Port had one of the healthiest lists of the year so they cant use injuries as an excuse during their form slump and by the way, we weren't exactly setting the world on fire when we beat them coming off a couple of unconvincing wins against the saints and bears.

Off field we are a destination club and probably one of the top 3.

We need to win more games and gain respect on field to show we are building towards a flag in order to get the FA that is tossing up between say us and North, Hawthorn, Geelong, Dons ect.

Off field we are a destination club and probably one of the top 3.

We need to win more games and gain respect on field to show we are building towards a flag in order to get the FA that is tossing up between say us and North, Hawthorn, Geelong, Dons ect.
Couldn't agree more. I also think the club needs to start sending out a strong and consistent message to the footy world rather than doing interviews saying stuff like " west coast lost 3 finals before they won 1 etc" . Just get to work and stop with the fluff pieces. We have some serious talent at this club.

Couldn't agree more. I also think the club needs to start sending out a strong and consistent message to the footy world rather than doing interviews saying stuff like " west coast lost 3 finals before they won 1 etc" . Just get to work and stop with the fluff pieces. We have some serious talent at this club.
Agree I hate seeing that stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? I thought they were delistings. I didn't realise we got raided so badly or are you teasing me a little?
They were delisted free agency signings: see. Obviously we weren't too keen on keeping them, but I can't see what makes us a destination in 2013 when one player joined us and four left for other clubs.

You don't win premierships by just "having a sniff" unless you're West Coast.

We need to be more aggressive.
Meh, I'm happy with the more opportunistic approach. If there's something worth going for, we go for it; if not, we keep our powder dry. There are plenty of opportunities ahead, when I reckon we'll be glad we didn't shoot our wad for Levi Greenwood.

Who do you really barrack for rusty, how were you feeling when in our R 23 clash we opened up kicking the first 5 goals, were you laughing or crying ? Carlton securing daisy and losing Betts was a recruiting disaster , most honest carlton fans would tell us as much , it's hardly the material to build a case on then follow that up with trading out 7 pick for two reserve players , well I'm glad we re no longer that stupid

Greenwood went to collingwood coz they offered ridiculous terms of 4 x 440. Crazy contract for someone that's played 74 games in 7 years. Had **** all to do with anything else , his other option was footscray ..so go figure

Exactly my point.... glad we didn't get involved in that sort of stuff just to be 'doing something'....

Who do you really barrack for rusty, how were you feeling when in our R 23 clash we opened up kicking the first 5 goals, were you laughing or crying ? Carlton securing daisy and losing Betts was a recruiting disaster , most honest carlton fans would tell us as much , it's hardly the material to build a case on then follow that up with trading out 7 pick for two reserve players , well I'm glad we re no longer that stupid
Miles was a reserves player Bo . I'm just pointing out that other teams are making ground and fast mate. Carlton have just peeled off two great years recruiting improving their list. Eddie was a loss but Daisy has a lot of good footy in him. He got better as he got fitter. Carlton has become a destination club and that disgusts me mate but they have. If they get SOS back to the club the flood gates to GWS talent will open. What are we doing?

Exactly my point.... glad we didn't get involved in that sort of stuff just to be 'doing something'....
It was good how we saw the opportunity which was good recruiting but we just didn't have the cap and the picks to make it happen . We rooted Norf royally by opening this trade up to the league. They were under valuing him just like we did White last year.

I enjoyed that game more than any of our games last year but I was also aware that Sydney were resting 5 of their starting line up for the first week of finals Bo. You can't change history but that's what they did.

Cmon RT, every bookie in the country still had sydney firm fav to win. I'm not sure what your point is in diminishing our result when prior to that we defeated the crows and WC on their home turf to make the 8.
I've noticed rusty in the first 13 weeks your average post per day was 5.9. From r14 to R 23 this dropped to 1.9 per day, post season this has again risen to >5 . Is it a coincidence or where you waiting on new material to come in, o_O

Cmon RT, every bookie in the country still had sydney firm fav to win. I'm not sure what your point is in diminishing our result when prior to that we defeated the crows and WC on their home turf to make the 8.
I've noticed rusty in the first 13 weeks your average post per day was 5.9. From r14 to R 23 this dropped to 1.9 per day, post season this has again risen to >5 . Is it a coincidence or where you waiting on new material to come in, o_O
What's your point . We were under dogs to lose to a team that was resting Franklin , Pyke, Kennedy , Bird and McGlynn ? That's something to be proud of.

Losing those three was a bigger disaster than the sinking of the Titanic
Thanks for the humour though
And Hampson is a superstar, is he?

The point is it's nonsensical to claim we were "the poster child for destination clubs in 2013" when four players departed and only one came in, Hampson.

This thread's whole claim is that in one year we've come crashing down from a great height. It's just wrong.

I'm surprised any players have decided to move to Richmond over the last 20 years. Even when Nathan G Brown came to us to play regular finals....nek minut....dogs playing prelims and us last....What on earth was he thinking!?!? LOL

I think we have a way to go to become a genuine destination club but the positive is we are atm retaining players for the appropriate price and can attract players for the right price. I can't see any contrast to the last couple of years. Tyson, Adams, Caddy etc all chose other clubs so not much in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back