Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
@AFL_PKeane
GWS Giants' Devon Smith the rd19 #nabaflrisingstar nomination, the club's 7th nomination this year, after 2 goals, 21 touches v P Adelaide.

@AFL_PKeane
Smith, 19, has played 16 games this year, averaging 16 possessions, after being taken at pick14 overall in rd1 of the 2011 #nabafldraft.

Well in by Dev after improving his kicking at goal in recent weeks. The record stretches to 7!

Beat me to it. I did say in awarding my votes this week that if he didn't win it there should be a stewards inquiry. Well call off the stewards, they got it right.

The team was wearing the black arm bands for his grandmother and he had every excuse in the world, but played an outstanding game, on top of a really good one against the Wobbles last week.

He's finally starting to kick straight. I claim credit for that, having started a thread about his innacuracy he has since kicked 5:2.

Well done young son. :thumbsu:

Great stuff, congratulations to Devon. He copped a bit of unfair criticism earlier in the year when his kicking radar was off but you only have look at Lewis Jetta to see that these small forwards can take a season or so to find the big sticks but when their confidence rises watch out!

Devon has a big future like so many of the Giants and the club in general.

Well deserved. Not as flashy as I expected but a very solid contributor to the team. A worthy first year player performance. If he wasn't on the same team as guys like Greene and Coniglio we would be singing his praises. He has been a bit unsung so far.

Hampton next?

I was watching Benny McGlynn starring for the Swans again tonight and it struck me how much Devon Smith's game resembles this guy.

Both 174cms, stocky, fast as lightning and gut runners that chase like drovers dogs and are as skilled as they come. Both also love a scrap and to kick a miracle goal.

We are going to have so many great moments with this little champion!!

Going to be a great player. Just needs to give off a little more. I won't call him a selfish player, but there are times he takes on the game one too many times when he could have used a team mate.

Isn't that the myth though? He leads the club in Goal Assists this year. I wouldn't have thought you could lead that particular stat while being selfish.

There's also the continual commentary that we lack a small crumbing forward, which should be Dev's or Sumner's role. At present, we can't afford the luxury of a small crumbing forward. Dev's giving it with all his pressure in the clinches.

Isn't that the myth though? He leads the club in Goal Assists this year. I wouldn't have thought you could lead that particular stat while being selfish.

I was pretty clear that I am not calling him a selfish player. Yes, we do hear others say that, but I do understand why. The statistic you quote is great. However, there are still many times I see with my own eyes that he will burn a player clear deep 50 to take a difficult snap from high 50. I am not damning him, just pointing out one of his weaknesses. He is definetly getting better though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back