PC Diablo III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The new skill system means I don't need to restart my character from scratch if I get to Hell difficulty and find out my build wasn't optimised.

I probably only get 1 hour a night to play (if I'm lucky) due to other responsibilities, so I just don't have the time to be re-starting characters after 10-20 hours because I got the build wrong.

PP... we just have different gaming philosophies I guess, which is fine and I'm not saying one way is better than the other. :)

IMO in RPG based games (and D series is an action RPG based game) there is no "wrong build". You create a character that appeals to you, build it up over time and with time/investment form an attachment to that character. You know it's strengths and weaknesses... you've helped shape who that individual character is. As long as you enjoy playing them and have that bond... there is no wrong build... even if you can't do everything within the game or somethings are very challenging.

Once you reach Hell difficulty you've already completed the game twice, so it isn't like you haven't experienced the game nor got your value out of it. Hell is there for the challenge, for those who do want to (and have time to) optimise their characters.

By the sounds of it you're a casual gamer (by circumstance or choice... and that is not a criticism). Normal/Nightmare difficulties are their to give you that fulfillment. Hell difficulty is there for those who want more.

Personally, I just don't think RPGs should build in elements of "resetting" to suit players who complain about getting things wrong. The dumbing down of a game so that casuals can make mistakes without penalties. This is part of the reason the dumbing down of WoW has seen traditional gamers depart and been replaced by casual kiddies.

The "concreteness" (is that a word) of character creation and building made old school RPGs so great. They still do! Mass Effect is built around character development and investment. It also makes Skyrim so great... simply reset your skills just because you can't beat a certain Dragon Priest... you move on, level up, invest in skills better, come back and try again.

Sorry PP... I'm not a fan of the change, especially for SP, but open to it for MP.

Cheers
SKC

Thankyou Kaysee.
Fully understand what you are saying and also implying.
Cant wait even for an old boy like me i still like to whittle an hour or two away once in a while.
I can also relate to building with a character and learning as you go along

Diablo 3 is 99% likely to be coming to current gen consoles.:thumbsu:

Well that's certainly surprising!
Can't imagine the control scheme being all that grand, don't know why you'd elect to play with a gamepad over keyboard and mouse.

Has extremely low requirements so most rigs are capable of running it anyway.

I remember playing Torchlight on 360 and just immensely disliking using the controller.

Still, good news for the few out there still running a pentium 3 with Windows 95 :D:thumbsu:

PP... we just have different gaming philosophies I guess, which is fine and I'm not saying one way is better than the other. :)

IMO in RPG based games (and D series is an action RPG based game) there is no "wrong build". You create a character that appeals to you, build it up over time and with time/investment form an attachment to that character. You know it's strengths and weaknesses... you've helped shape who that individual character is. As long as you enjoy playing them and have that bond... there is no wrong build... even if you can't do everything within the game or somethings are very challenging.

Once you reach Hell difficulty you've already completed the game twice, so it isn't like you haven't experienced the game nor got your value out of it. Hell is there for the challenge, for those who do want to (and have time to) optimise their characters.

By the sounds of it you're a casual gamer (by circumstance or choice... and that is not a criticism). Normal/Nightmare difficulties are their to give you that fulfillment. Hell difficulty is there for those who want more.

Personally, I just don't think RPGs should build in elements of "resetting" to suit players who complain about getting things wrong. The dumbing down of a game so that casuals can make mistakes without penalties. This is part of the reason the dumbing down of WoW has seen traditional gamers depart and been replaced by casual kiddies.

The "concreteness" (is that a word) of character creation and building made old school RPGs so great. They still do! Mass Effect is built around character development and investment. It also makes Skyrim so great... simply reset your skills just because you can't beat a certain Dragon Priest... you move on, level up, invest in skills better, come back and try again.

Sorry PP... I'm not a fan of the change, especially for SP, but open to it for MP.

Cheers
SKC

I more or less agree with most of this. I like the feeling of investment in a character. Knowing that i have to carefully plan where im going to put my points every time i level up, and being able to make a unique build to the person next to me.

I'm not saying that not everyone should be able to experience the game in its entirety, but i just cant agree with being able to chop and change your entire build on the fly with no penalty whatsoever. As is the case with most rpg games in the past, if you can't beat something, go to a different area, level up, get better gear etc. However it shouldn't simply just mean that 'casuals' should just stay away from hell difficulty, just that it should take them a bit longer. It adds to the longevity of the game too.

So you're saying that because I have less time to play the game I shouldn't bother with Hell difficulty and how dare the developer make it possible for me to do that now?

Chill winston. Constructive discussion here. :thumbsu:

No. I'm saying that you're free to progress as far as you want. If people do ultimately made poor choices (due to limited time and knowledge) that prevent them from progressing further... then they shouldn't simply be able to "reset/rebuild" so you can progress*.

Progress here is in terms of "game challenge" and not "game completion", because you complete the game once you're down with normal difficulty.

As I initially replied with... a difference of opinion. You want to be able to experience every challenge the game provides (on limited time). I prefer to retain that sense of character investment/building.

Chill winston. Constructive discussion here. :thumbsu:

No. I'm saying that you're free to progress as far as you want. If people do ultimately made poor choices (due to limited time and knowledge) that prevent them from progressing further... then they shouldn't simply be able to "reset/rebuild" so you can progress*.

Progress here is in terms of "game challenge" and not "game completion", because you complete the game once you're down with normal difficulty.

As I initially replied with... a difference of opinion. You want to be able to experience every challenge the game provides (on limited time). I prefer to retain that sense of character investment/building.

So ignore the feature?

I'm not sure (no sarcasm) how the ability to respec would interfere with your game play?

What if it were the case of a mistake? As in, physically pressed the wrong thing and were then unable to take it back? Of course this could be rectified by adding an additional button where one would have to confirm the choice, it was more the point.

You could make a decision you almost immediately regret, yet have to continue or reroll entirely. That's not really fun for anyone, nor is it fair if the developers were to patch in a change that altered the way the game was played.

So if an ability suddenly became redundant, is it then still unfair for someone to want to change their spec? I'd argue it is entirely so, so where do you draw the line?

I'll be jumping back into the world of games for the first time since Guild Wars, I played Monk but eventually got bored with him.

What are people thinking about which class they will go? At first I thought Barb because of the smash and grab style, but my fear is it will be the overwelmingly popular choice.

My other thought was Monk as this one looks to be a little more interesting than just a healer.

I'll be jumping back into the world of games for the first time since Guild Wars, I played Monk but eventually got bored with him.

What are people thinking about which class they will go? At first I thought Barb because of the smash and grab style, but my fear is it will be the overwelmingly popular choice.

My other thought was Monk as this one looks to be a little more interesting than just a healer.

Probably the Monk as my 1st... Then maybe a Witch Doctor.

I really liked the Necro in D2, but they sucked in Hell... but then fell in love with a Traps based Assassin in D2:LoD expansion. In D3 the Demon Hunter has traps but so far in beta i wasn't feelin any love.

Syphon... Its not neccessarily the feature itself, but rather the dumbing down of building/crafting your character... Because all the skills, abilities and runes are simply given to you without any decisions by the player... Except what to use at a given time.

I have read though that the customisation will come more via the gear you use... So there is sone hope there that you will identify gear (and/or sets) which boost certain abilities... and then this forces you to focus on using those abilities... and that the character 'building' and customisations comes about via that method. Not via skill building.

It will be interesting and i do trust Blizzard with new products.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone loving the barb ATM, still think I'll roll a demon hunter first then a witch doctor.

In d2 I thought barb was the least played, how times have changed

Yeah the sorceress rocked in D2 especially for farming Mephisto runs.

ill probably be going demon hunter first. It was the class that i was most enjoying during the beta. Only concern is that i tend to always get bored of range type classes in rpgs. Just hope it doesn't happen this time around.

I don't like it how you have to be online to play, but it was like that with Portal 2 and Skyrim and I never had internet problems.

So I assume that it's quite easy to party up then? Coz it will be Awsome to play with some bigfooty boys!

partying with friends is really simple. And if no friends are on, it has auto matchmaking. You select what quest you want to do and it puts you with a random group of people who are wanting to do the same quest. Its really quick and easy.

Only 2 more weeks! Keep changing my mind on my first toon.

Barb looks so much fun but I think every man and his dog will be rollin the barb.

Leaning towards the witch doctor or the monk now after watching some YouTube clips

Only 2 more weeks! Keep changing my mind on my first toon.

Barb looks so much fun but I think every man and his dog will be rollin the barb.

Leaning towards the witch doctor or the monk now after watching some YouTube clips

What exactly is a 'toon'? I've heard it a few times but still no idea what it means :/

Just character, just a nerd way of saying character

I have previously despise the word but after being on SWTOR for awhile there vocab has rubbed off on me :-(

Take it as a compliment that you don't know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back