Media Diary Of The SFA Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 8, 2007
With My Mate Jack - Jack Daniel's
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC, PAFC, QBN TIGERS & JD
With a few threads going around about Captains I thought it appropriate to give a bit of an insight as to what a Captains role involves not only in the SFA public eye, but also behind the scenes.

Many out there think the role of the Captain might be to pick a side and perhaps a few other things and that is about it but some may not truly understand how much work can go into it.

From engaging players in the clubs team threads, to PMing each player at regular intervals to see how they are going, to discussing line ups/club concerns/improvements/possible recruiting targets with the leadership group, to providing a succession plan for future club Captains, to approaching players from other sides to gauge interest and then trying to sell your club to them, to keeping posting stats, providing a wrap up of the weekends game, to discussing B&F votes and other awards with the leadership group, to producing the Official B&F night... the role can take up more time than some people think. All this on top of what they may have to deal with in real life, the role of the Captain is not as easy as people may think.

Obviously things can be delegated and usually are but its the Captains job to make sure all these things are flowing at a rate that is best for the club.

From now until the end of the season I will try and give a small insight to what I do during the week leading up to a match and then after a match has been completed.

Now every Captain is different and have their own styles of how their club runs but I would be surprised if many things mentioned above are not done at near all of the clubs in the SFA.

So sit back and enjoy this insight into the role of an SFA Captain.

Sat 9th of May
Check on match thread from where I last left it. Make any comments to posts I see fit. This will happen throughout the day and would not be a shock to anyone out there.

I generally get on the match thread every day and on more than one occasion. Seeing how my team mates are going against the opposition. Try and get some banter going, stir things up a bit. If team mates seem to be in trouble I try and help them out but so far so good. Our posting method is all about fun and making it that way for all. We are happy to roll the sleeves up and have enough experience and knowledge now to give a good account of ourselves...this takes time but we are getting better at it.

Our group seems to be going ok against the Royals banter who are mainly banging on about how they are in finals and we have struggled this season. Fair enough considering its their first season of success after being massive under achievers.

Side is unchanged after our win last week so we are confident of turning the tables on this side who defeated us comfortably last outing. We need the win to remain in the hunt for finals.

Usually the Saturday before a game is pretty quite so not really a great deal to do. Most work for me is done after the match has been completed.

Diary of a Dragons Captain:

Tuesday: New game thread! Going to smash these buggers!

Thursday: Yep, we sure are dominating this thread.

Saturday: Hmm, cant help but think I forgot something this week...

Sunday: s**t.

Diary of a Dragons Captain:

Tuesday: New game thread! Going to smash these buggers!

Thursday: Yep, we sure are dominating this thread.

Saturday: Hmm, cant help but think I forgot something this week...

Sunday: s**t.

Don't be stupid.

My memory always returns at around 8am Saturday.

We've never missed posting a team, just the deadlines :thumbsu:

Dear Diary,

I woke up in haze this morning. Another big night after training again. Freakie is back in town after a short break for some extreme ironing in Langkawi. So we cracked open a barrell of the Gourmet Chuds.
It was tough waking up, but as the captain, i need to start rousing the troops, so we are ready for this weeks game. The Bears are situated on the other side of the ground, in the opposition camp ground, obviously. I stumble towards the thread in the middle of the ground, it both divides us and brings us together. I kick a few of the sleeping Roys as i stumble to it; Mighty P stirs a little, as does Rendered Unsafe. As i was about to kick Fred he opens one eye a stares at me. I know better to kick him, he'll get there when he gets there.
Gladys, my match day assistant hands me the white board as i walk through the mud. As i reach the thread i look around to get the lay of the land. Matera92 is already there, trying to woo me. I've seen this before, it wont work. Nothing will break my loyalty. Whilst trading a few pleasantries/insults i start moving the magnets around on the board, looking at my notes as to who has been about this week. It's the usual suspects, so there is only a couple of changes to be made. I pin it up on the team board for feed back, which i'll get over the next day, hopefully a few will sober up enough to take a gander, they usually do.
Once that's done i'll hammer it into the official post and send a message to boncer, so he knows. I'm sure he does anyway, he seems to know everything.
Gladys almost falls on her face as she brings me my chair and breakfast. A nice cup of tea and some cold snags and eggs. I set myself down for the long haul, As is my way. I'll be ever present, whether front and centre derailing and putting the Bears off, or sitting in the background watching the other Roys go at it. But my eyes are always open.
The snags are good, they always are.
As i wait, i polish my boots, and sharpen my studs. I need to be ready for whatever tramples across the field. I always am.
Now i wait.

Both are s**t in their own ways, but still read

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it as is beez (if he thinks this is s**t) but saying its s**t without explanation is pretty pointless don't you think?

With plenty of new players in the SFA and Captains performing poorly in some areas this might provide an insight to what a Captain does for his club.

Not expected all to like it but negative comments without substance are pretty weak and shows a lack of real understanding as to why the thread was made in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we are meant to be doing things other than posting the team?
s**t, there really does need to be a manual.

Also starting a diary thread, and not starting each post with Dear Diary? Poor form ABH.

Thought about it mate but its been done to death...wanted to mix it up a bit

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it as is beez (if he thinks this is s**t) but saying its s**t without explanation is pretty pointless don't you think?

With plenty of new players in the SFA and Captains performing poorly in some areas this might provide an insight to what a Captain does for his club.

Not expected all to like it but negative comments without substance are pretty weak and shows a lack of real understanding as to why the thread was made in the first place.

I wrote 's**t in their own ways' while responding to your inquiry to Beez about which thread was s**t. I apologise for answering as the question was directed to Beez and not myself...I butted in

Why is it a s**t thread beez?

This one or GD's
They're both vying for that prestigious award. I have your thread on top at the moment, but you have plenty of opportunity to rectify the situation. I suspect your effort over the coming weeks will see it slide down the ladder, outside the top five.

I was hoping for a bit of humour. A bit of satire. A bit of self-deprecation. It's a great idea for a thread, but it's vanilla if you're going to talk about what 95% of the board already know. Why not combine your OP style with fb's? Just like mixing banana and peanut butter. Be creative.

What's worse than a s**t thread? A s**t thread wasted that had such awesome promise.

They're both vying for that prestigious award. I have your thread on top at the moment, but you have plenty of opportunity to rectify the situation. I suspect your effort over the coming weeks will see it slide down the ladder, outside the top five.

I was hoping for a bit of humour. A bit of satire. A bit of self-deprecation. It's a great idea for a thread, but it's vanilla if you're going to talk about what 95% of the board already know. Why not combine your OP style with fb's? Just like mixing banana and peanut butter. Be creative.

What's worse than a s**t thread? A s**t thread wasted that had such awesome promise.

I am looking to cover both. Its Saturday, team has been announced and nothing happens until tomorrow.

What's worse than a s**t thread?

People who whinge and complain about s**t threads, while offering up nothing of substance themselves

People who whinge and complain about s**t threads, while offering up nothing of substance themselves

T0gbloI.gif

Fair shake of the sauce bottle, mate. Don't go bitching to the masses just because I forgot to bring the coke last night.

Fair shake of the sauce bottle, mate. Don't go bitching to the masses just because I forgot to bring the coke last night.

It would appear you both misinterpret.

Thread has potential - a couple of self depreciating 'vanilla' or 'Westminster Doritos' references and you are well on the way.

As I articulated in my epic and widely acclaimed Podcast debut, I also enjoyed the latest beez offering. Inaccurate yes, but entertaining nonetheless.

It's the flogs who pontificate from the cheap seats who are the subject of my ire

I have asked the help of our fitness trainer Lucy Pinder to assist in cleaning up some of this thread...She is about to clean the pipes and rid the thread of some of the substance that has infiltrated it...

RhFmYY3.gif

She is under a fair bit of pressure as our results have been pretty poor this season. One can't question her desires (both of them in fact) to succeed, but perhaps some of her methods may need to be monitored closer. I mean what sort of warm down is this? Strangest looking Jumping Jacks I have ever seen, although perhaps if I put her directly behind our goals DREAM TEAM BUFF might kick a little straighter...How can you miss hitting those fun bags!!

afccc9887836ac26c7a6536a80152b8f.gif

Also seems some of our players like Willo_ and even Tayl0r seem lethargic and run of of legs during games. Are they spending far to much time working behind the scenes with Lucy....in fact why are so many of our players staying behind to do "Extra's".

Although, she has been a huge hit with some opposition players. Our match threads seem well received with activity peeking once she appears and while the thread may get a little messy, players of both sides seem pretty relaxed and satisfied once the thread has climaxed at games end...Nah,I think it is our posting style.

I now wonder if Lucy is the reason why we have had 2 high profile players indicate "The Lair" as an appealing place for S20.

Mmmm much to ponder between now and the end of the season.

Dear Diary,

I woke up in haze this morning. Another big night after training again. Freakie is back in town after a short break for some extreme ironing in Langkawi. So we cracked open a barrell of the Gourmet Chuds.
It was tough waking up, but as the captain, i need to start rousing the troops, so we are ready for this weeks game. The Bears are situated on the other side of the ground, in the opposition camp ground, obviously. I stumble towards the thread in the middle of the ground, it both divides us and brings us together. I kick a few of the sleeping Roys as i stumble to it; Mighty P stirs a little, as does Rendered Unsafe. As i was about to kick Fred he opens one eye a stares at me. I know better to kick him, he'll get there when he gets there.
Gladys, my match day assistant hands me the white board as i walk through the mud. As i reach the thread i look around to get the lay of the land. Matera92 is already there, trying to woo me. I've seen this before, it wont work. Nothing will break my loyalty. Whilst trading a few pleasantries/insults i start moving the magnets around on the board, looking at my notes as to who has been about this week. It's the usual suspects, so there is only a couple of changes to be made. I pin it up on the team board for feed back, which i'll get over the next day, hopefully a few will sober up enough to take a gander, they usually do.
Once that's done i'll hammer it into the official post and send a message to boncer, so he knows. I'm sure he does anyway, he seems to know everything.
Gladys almost falls on her face as she brings me my chair and breakfast. A nice cup of tea and some cold snags and eggs. I set myself down for the long haul, As is my way. I'll be ever present, whether front and centre derailing and putting the Bears off, or sitting in the background watching the other Roys go at it. But my eyes are always open.
The snags are good, they always are.
As i wait, i polish my boots, and sharpen my studs. I need to be ready for whatever tramples across the field. I always am.
Now i wait.

Please stop. You're putting me out of a job. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back