Didaka v Copeland ... How did we do?

For those not familiar with the Didaka medal, see the stickied thread here.

A big thanks to robertg22 for maintaining the Didaka count this year :thumbsu:

How did we do?

Didaka Count:

1. Pendlebury - 64
2. Sidebottom - 46
3. Beams - 45
4. Cloke, Elliott -20
6. Frost - 14
7. Langdon - 13
8. Lumumba - 10
9. Witts - 9
10. Maxwell, Macaffer, Swan, Broomhead, Thomas - 8
15. Young, Adams - 7
17. Kennedy - 6
18. Fasolo, Grundy, White - 4
21. Goldsack, Keeffe, Armstrong, Williams - 3
25. Blair, Dwyer - 2
27. Ball - 1

Copeland Count:

1. Scott Pendlebury 165
2. Steele Sidebottom 114 – R.T Rush Trophy
3. Dayne Beams 112 – J.J Joyce Trophy
4. Heritier Lumumba 89 – J.F McHale Trophy
5. Brent Macaffer 85 – Jack Regan Trophy
6. Jamie Elliott 81
7. Travis Cloke 74
8. Tyson Goldsack 61
9. Jack Frost 61
10. Jarryd Blair 59

The folks at CFC who hand out the votes clearly know how to pick the obvious ones. First, second and third are a match, even down to the relative gaps being just about spot on.

It goes a bit awry after that.

Heritier 4th in the Copeland but 8th in the Didaka. It either highlights how the BigFooty folk didn't dig his chakras ... or ... The folks at CFC knew they wanted to offload him end of year and were trying to boost his trade value :)

Brent Macaffer 5th in the Copeland but equal 10th in Didaka. BigFooty has spoken, we don't like taggers! Give us skillful positive midfielders!

Elliott 6th / Cloke 7th in the Copeland but equal 4th in the Didaka. Again, the BigFooty folks have spoken ... Give us goals damn it!!! And pack bursting marks and screamers over the top are good too!!! :p It's much better than the negative tagging and backline stuff we get from 'H' and McCaffer.

Goldsack 8th in the Copeland but equal 21st in the Didaka. My oh my, how could the folks at CFC get it so wrong!? :)

Frost 9th in the Copeland but 6th in the Didaka. Goes to show that the BigFooty folks appreciate a nice fairy tale a bit more than the stern folks at CFC!! That BigFooty picked Langdon at 7th and CFC didn't rank him top 10 only reinforces this theory :)

Blair 10th in the Copeland but equal 25th in the Didaka. Some BigFooty folks have speculated that Blair holds solid blackmail material on Buckley as the likely explanation for Blair's continued selection. They're going to have to come up with a new theory to explain how Blair is considered by CFC to be the 10th best player on our list! ;)

Last edited:
Pretty well spot on.
I don't think it's a secret many hate Blairs guts on this board or that some lost faith in Harry as soon as he opened his mouth.
Obviously the club, and the players are much less hysterical than many posters.

Bring_Back_Brad

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty well spot on.
I don't think it's a secret many hate Blairs guts on this board or that some lost faith in Harry as soon as he opened his mouth.
Obviously the club, and the players are much less hysterical than many posters.
I don't think anyone here hates blairy's guts, he's a nice guy, a team player, pretty consistent and give his all on the field. But what we are is intolerant of mediocrity in the team and that's what he represents.
I would say the club voting system runs a bit deeper than ours which is why Blair got in to the top ten, just picking up low points on a regular basis over the season has kept him above the other guys who played fewer games. Similar thing happened to maxwell in 2012

I don't think anyone here hates blairy's guts, he's a nice guy, a team player, pretty consistent and give his all on the field. But what we are is intolerant of mediocrity in the team and that's what he represents.
I would say the club voting system runs a bit deeper than ours which is why Blair got in to the top ten, just picking up low points on a regular basis over the season has kept him above the other guys who played fewer games. Similar thing happened to maxwell in 2012
He's a work horse, a grunt player. He may not be flashy and is rarely top 3 or 6, but he serves a valuable role in the team

cleomenes

Cancelled
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Blair's disposal is a worry, but everything else is fine. He is not a star, but all teams do contain good players who are not standouts. Someone has to take his spot from him.

Swooop

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not bad synchrony really given that the voting systems are very different.

Eg Blair and Harry and Frost played virtually every game I think which scores very high in the Copeland no matter how they actually may have played.

Also, we are not privy to what roles each player was given on the day, so the club may rate a player very highly who potentially may have played a decoy role all day!

That said, I think we are probably drawn to the high possession players as an overall thing, whereas the club would perhaps be more drawn to their match day roles a little more.

Good effort by us I reckon.

Thanks again Robertg 22 and 76, good thread :)

rustyg70

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2011
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not bad synchrony really given that the voting systems are very different.

Eg Blair and Harry and Frost played virtually every game I think which scores very high in the Copeland no matter how they actually may have played.

Also, we are not privy to what roles each player was given on the day, so the club may rate a player very highly who potentially may have played a decoy role all day!

That said, I think we are probably drawn to the high possession players as an overall thing, whereas the club would perhaps be more drawn to their match day roles a little more.

Good effort by us I reckon.

Thanks again Robertg 22 and 76, good thread :)

I was just about to post the same thing.
Points are given to games played, so Blair and Harry were always going to gather votes.
Frosty deserved his votes due to position he was put in because of our injuries .
IMO Blair should played in the forward pocket due to his tackling and footy nouse.
He can find the pill, but he is always trying to kick it from 50mtrs out.
If he was 20-30 mtrs out he would be a very good defensive forward pocket that can hurt on the scoreboard.

Back