Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

people take this whole 'paleo' thing far too literally and it shits me
its just a label not a hard and fast truth...use some common sense for christs sake.

... and Bazzar

exactly right - it's a strawman arguement to make... i.e. impossible to eat like our ancestors, therefore paleo diet is flawed. People claiming to eat "paleo" diet aren't doing it to be like our ancient ancestors, they're eating that way to be healthy, yet it's rare for the anti crowd to make arguments against the diets nutritional claim. I've said it many times, people should seriously consider changing the name of the diet to JERF or something - Just Eat Real Food is much harder to argue against.

For those talking about fibre, it's fairly overrated anyway. Research shows that the fibre and dehydration argument for constipation is off the mark. It is not 100% what causes constipation but it could be certain bacteria. Antibiotics that kill Clostrida usually cure constipation so there could be a link there.

The biggest flaw from the Anti-crowd is eliminating grain from your diet is unhealthy, when questioned they can only provide (many) studies showing the health benefits of grains, something i do not dispute, but ask them to provide one single study, just one, that shows eliminating grain is unhealthy and will make you sick. Nup, they can't as one doesnt exist.

Looking to go full healthy with my diet. Mainly looking at limiting dairy and sugar. At the moment iI drink way too much milk and have a min of about 120g of sugar a day. Still have pretty low body fat. One thing is I do need to find a different way to get carbs if I'm cutting out milk, plus I want too cut back on wheat because I have too much of that. I wouldn't be against limiting grains as I have a lot of bread/rice at the moment. How would I fill my carb macros though?

Any links or thoughts? Keen to change and assess the current faults in my nutrition. I still want to lift heavy and progressive overload at the gym, with the goal of continuing to bulk.

I kind of have an idea of how I want to eat but it's just knowing which exact foods and how to incorporate then in to my diet.

Is a shopping list similar to this a good move?https://www.pritikin.com/recipe/meal-plans/14-day-meal-plan/week-one/week-one-shopping-list.html

I know that's considered a fad diet and I wouldn't necessarily follow it, just the general idea of the foods.

Last edited:
Looking to go full healthy with my diet. Mainly looking at limiting dairy and sugar. At the moment iI drink way too much milk and have a min of about 120g of sugar a day. Still have pretty low body fat. One thing is I do need to find a different way to get carbs if I'm cutting out milk, plus I want too cut back on wheat because I have too much of that. I wouldn't be against limiting grains as I have a lot of bread/rice at the moment. How would I fill my carb macros though?

Any links or thoughts? Keen to change and assess the current faults in my nutrition. I still want to lift heavy and progressive overload at the gym, with the goal of continuing to bulk.

I kind of have an idea of how I want to eat but it's just knowing which exact foods and how to incorporate then in to my diet.

Is a shopping list similar to this a good move?https://www.pritikin.com/recipe/meal-plans/14-day-meal-plan/week-one/week-one-shopping-list.html

I know that's considered a fad diet and I wouldn't necessarily follow it, just the general idea of the foods.

Id recommend cutting back the sugar and milk. And up your intake of brown rice and sweet potato. My other carb source are oats with some berries and honey. Rice cakes with some jam and peanut butter. Bananas are a good source of carbs to.

Id recommend cutting back the sugar and milk. And up your intake of brown rice and sweet potato. My other carb source are oats with some berries and honey. Rice cakes with some jam and peanut butter. Bananas are a good source of carbs to.
I just bought a tonne of fruit and veg and meat, but I need to make up all the calories from the milk and sugar and bread. Which is well over 1000. It's going to be difficult.

I just bought a tonne of fruit and veg and meat, but I need to make up all the calories from the milk and sugar and bread. Which is well over 1000. It's going to be difficult.
Butter, cream sauces, olive oil and coconut oil drown veggies and meat in them.

Butter, cream sauces, olive oil and coconut oil drown veggies and meat in them.

What he said, fats are very underrated and are great when needing to make up calories because of there higher calorie content and my favourite peanut butter.

Juddy88 how many calories are you trying to hit per day?

saj_21

I'm looking to hit around 3000. I used http://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/ for that, but when I do it via the bb.com forums calculator I get around 3200.

I was doing 200p 380c 100f roughly. Now I'm just making sure I hit my protein and calories, and making up the rest with whatever I can get. I'll see how I feel after a week and reassess. Does this sound about right?

So if I have all my fats from nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado etc it's fine to go higher at the expense of carbs?

It's a bit change from living off bread, milk, eggs, rice, chicken, peanut butter, a couple veggies.

Today I had fruit for breakfast cause I was in a rush. Lunch 5 egg omlette with tomato spinach, spring onion. 3 tablespoons of olive oil. With side of strawberries.

Pre workout just some chicken breast and potatoes/rice with veggies. With whey post workout.

Dinner just fish sweet potato and veggies.

Something like that for a template look decent? Any other suggestions from anyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saj_21

I'm looking to hit around 3000. I used http://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/ for that, but when I do it via the bb.com forums calculator I get around 3200.

I was doing 200p 380c 100f roughly. Now I'm just making sure I hit my protein and calories, and making up the rest with whatever I can get. I'll see how I feel after a week and reassess. Does this sound about right?

So if I have all my fats from nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado etc it's fine to go higher at the expense of carbs?

It's a bit change from living off bread, milk, eggs, rice, chicken, peanut butter, a couple veggies.

Today I had fruit for breakfast cause I was in a rush. Lunch 5 egg omlette with tomato spinach, spring onion. 3 tablespoons of olive oil. With side of strawberries.

Pre workout just some chicken breast and potatoes/rice with veggies. With whey post workout.

Dinner just fish sweet potato and veggies.

Something like that for a template look decent? Any other suggestions from anyone?

At either 3000 or 3200 calories I don't see how you struggle to get all that from rice, sweet potato and/or oats. And I don't know why you need milk either.

I'm eating around 3200 calories at the moment, my macros are 300g
Protein 300g carb and 90g fat. I get all that easily from beef/chicken, oats/brown rice/sweet potato/rice cakes.

My meals as follows;

100g oats
100g mixed berries and honey

Tuna sandwich

200g chicken/beef
200g brown rice
Veggies

200g chicken/beef
200g brown rice
Veggies

Preworkout drink
Post work out shake

200g chicken/beef
300g sweet potato
Veggies

4 rice cakes with peanut butter/jam

So I've heard a lot that 'you can't out exercise a bad diet'... which is true, until you start training 10-12 times a week... eating pretty much whatever I want and have dropped 4.5kg in 3 months or so.

Obviously it's a heavy training load for most people but my body seems to be dealing with it just fine.

So I've heard a lot that 'you can't out exercise a bad diet'... which is true, until you start training 10-12 times a week... eating pretty much whatever I want and have dropped 4.5kg in 3 months or so.

Obviously it's a heavy training load for most people but my body seems to be dealing with it just fine.

10-12 times a week? That is a lot of load on your body. It might catch up to you soon with injuries etc. So be careful!

10-12 times a week? That is a lot of load on your body. It might catch up to you soon with injuries etc. So be careful!

It's pretty mixed - a lot of low impact (stationary bike/ergo) intervals in there, as well as low intensity stuff like walking up Mt Ainslie (I live in Canberra). Generally train strength 4-5 times a week.

I think I'm being a bit disingenuous too - my diet has got a lot tighter, I just know that when I have a slip up and eat something I probably shouldn't have, I have a fairly large caloric buffer due to the amount of training I'm doing.

10806340_10152946148048287_4962321405942752528_n.png

A good diet will shred 4.5kg in 3months without any exercise.

Been trying to get Pete Evans latest book "Fast Food for Busy Families- 100 recipes" and been to Big W 3 times and each time sold out :(

This is getting rave reviews on the forums even if your not into Paleo, and apparently has a "killer" Paleo bun recipe that everyone is going gaga about. Something about combining apple cider vinegar and bi carb soda and they rise like yeast bread. Hanging to check it out.

Been trying to get Pete Evans latest book "Fast Food for Busy Families- 100 recipes" and been to Big W 3 times and each time sold out :(

This is getting rave reviews on the forums even if your not into Paleo, and apparently has a "killer" Paleo bun recipe that everyone is going gaga about. Something about combining apple cider vinegar and bi carb soda and they rise like yeast bread. Hanging to check it out.

How much at Big W? $28 plus shipping here:

https://www.dymocks.com.au/search-results/?str=Fast Food for Busy Families&IsAdv=false

Remove this Banner Ad

Back