Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah say what you like about the supermarkets stocking s**t on their shelves the fresh fruit/vege section is stocked with mostly local stuff. It's only really a few things that are imported (non-NZ) like Californian oranges.

I consider NZ to be very safe. We're pretty much one country when it comes to staying isolated from the rest of the world with our tight quarantine controls.

Yeah say what you like about the supermarkets stocking s**t on their shelves the fresh fruit/vege section is stocked with mostly local stuff. It's only really a few things that are imported (non-NZ) like Californian oranges.

I consider NZ to be very safe. We're pretty much one country when it comes to staying isolated from the rest of the world with our tight quarantine controls.

How long from the grower to passing through the checkout.

Interesting, just heard Sally Cockburn on 3AW talking to a bloke from the Pork industry and he said 70% of supermarket bacon is from Denmark.

100% spot on.

10509709_515623578539035_1053191527647527201_n.jpg

Has anyone tried Pureau Water? Flouride Free water, however it is demineralized due to the Reverse Ozmosis process - So not sure how good/bad it is for the body - ablett What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Thoughts on this article?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4022420/

Didnt read the whole thing, but just read the conclusion: Consuming 5.5 times the recommended daily allowance of protein has no effect on body composition in resistance-trained individuals who otherwise maintain the same training regimen. This is the first interventional study to demonstrate that consuming a hypercaloric high protein diet does not result in an increase in body fat.

Think that still applies to low carb individuals? Pretty sure I read somewhere here that excess protein gets turned into glucose and may knock you out of ketosis or something? Of course my intention is to not over consume protein as thats just pointless but would be comforting to know that its not detrimental if I do so (since I never count any of my macros, carbs, fat, protein, etc consumption)

Time magazine is at it again, great to see. :)

Kale or corn dogs, bananas or beer, a calorie is still a calorie. At least, that’s what dieters have been told for the past half-century. Now, experts don't agree

“By and large, we’ve been taking an accounting approach to weight loss,” says Dr. David Ludwig, a professor of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health. By that he means, health scientists have traditionally focused on the number of calories coming in versus the number of calories going out. But there are a lot of problems with that approach, he says. For one thing, it’s really tough to accurately keep track of your daily calorie intake. “Being off by just 100 calories a day could add up to a hundred pounds over a lifetime,” he says.

If burning more calories than you consume would keep you skinny, a low-fat diet should be the answer to all your diet prayers. That’s because, compared to protein or carbohydrates, fat contains roughly twice the number of calories, ounce for ounce. But Ludwig says low-fat diets have proved ineffective when it comes to losing weight. “Mediterranean or low-carbohydrate diets outperform a low-fat diet every time, and that wouldn’t be true if calories were the only measure that mattered,” he adds. (Mediterranean diets and others like the now-trendy Paleo diet are both high in fat, comparatively speaking"
http://time.com/2988142/you-asked-are-all-calories-created-equal/

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time magazine is at it again, great to see. :)

Kale or corn dogs, bananas or beer, a calorie is still a calorie. At least, that’s what dieters have been told for the past half-century. Now, experts don't agree

“By and large, we’ve been taking an accounting approach to weight loss,” says Dr. David Ludwig, a professor of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health. By that he means, health scientists have traditionally focused on the number of calories coming in versus the number of calories going out. But there are a lot of problems with that approach, he says. For one thing, it’s really tough to accurately keep track of your daily calorie intake. “Being off by just 100 calories a day could add up to a hundred pounds over a lifetime,” he says.

If burning more calories than you consume would keep you skinny, a low-fat diet should be the answer to all your diet prayers. That’s because, compared to protein or carbohydrates, fat contains roughly twice the number of calories, ounce for ounce. But Ludwig says low-fat diets have proved ineffective when it comes to losing weight. “Mediterranean or low-carbohydrate diets outperform a low-fat diet every time, and that wouldn’t be true if calories were the only measure that mattered,” he adds. (Mediterranean diets and others like the now-trendy Paleo diet are both high in fat, comparatively speaking"
http://time.com/2988142/you-asked-are-all-calories-created-equal/

I know this might sound naive, but is there any consideration to some foods being 'heavier' than others? Like carbs such as potatos or rice in comparison to ;'light' foods like salads or the like?

I ate organic potatoes for the first time last night - Wowweee what a difference not just the taste and texture but the mind and body effects.

I always though that the side effects I had after eating conventional potatoes were due to its high GI, but it was actually from all the pesticides/chemicals it absorbs and stores.

Non-Organic Potatoes Cause Developmental Problems, ADHD

• Conventionally-grown potatoes
    . Potato is the number 1 vegetable that kids eat. Pediatrician Alan Greene, MD thinks that conventionally-grown potatoes are responsible for the loss of 16,000,000 IQ points in kids. He says that because the potato is the storage unit of the plant. So even if you wash or peel it, it’s still contaminated.

He advises us to look for produce with 5-digit PLU codes that start with 9, which means that they’re not allowed to use pesticides. Dr. Oz had EMA Labs test organic (right) and non-organic potatoes.

Non-organic potatoes have 10 times the pesticide of non-organic potatoes. Dr. Greene says that pesticides correlate with ADHD and developmental delays. The earlier a kid is exposed, the more likely she or he is to have problems. I know a preschool kid who we couldn’t understand. I thought it was due to her parents not teaching her how to talk, or her lack of exposure to people. Now I think of her McDonald’s diet. Dr. Greene says that when kids switch to organic, the pesticides in their urine disappears.

Depends on the type of fish.
yeah.

I usually go for barramundi these days. Hopefully that is fresh caught rather than farmed.

Its's disturbing in that article that 80% of red meat is from feed lots. I thought it was way way lower than that in Australia.

Im at a point now where I want to try something new in my diet and a new challenge.

When you read this forum, you get sold the benefits of LCHF, IF and BP Coffee. Is there a way peopele are combining all 3 of these concepts and how are they going about it?

Im at a point now where I want to try something new in my diet and a new challenge.

When you read this forum, you get sold the benefits of LCHF, IF and BP Coffee. Is there a way peopele are combining all 3 of these concepts and how are they going about it?
If you want to work out how you combine all 3 as a lifestyle I recommend you read this guys blog.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

yeah.

I usually go for barramundi these days. Hopefully that is fresh caught rather than farmed.

Its's disturbing in that article that 80% of red meat is from feed lots. I thought it was way way lower than that in Australia.
I eat a lot of small oily fish, for no real health reason aside from loving the taste. Riga sprats, sardines, mackerel. I'd be surprised if they were farmed.

I eat a lot of small oily fish, for no real health reason aside from loving the taste. Riga sprats, sardines, mackerel. I'd be surprised if they were farmed.
good idea. I think I'll get back into sardines. Lower on the food chain, so low mercury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back