Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

But will agree you need to do what you feel gives you best results, but i always try different things. One big one for me is not eating in the mornings before a work out, most people would say not to exercises on an empty stomach but for me i take a prework out with some drinkable carbs and i am fine. But have tried eating breakfast before a workout and unless i get up and hour earlier than i need to, i just dont have enough time to fully digest a meal before a work out. Squatting with a full belly is not comfortable at all.
I'm the same - I know others are completely different. I'm not going to "SMH" or talk someone down just because they may have a different preference.

I'm tempted to become a Vegan.

art-fake_meat.jpg

Sausage
icon-1_1.gif

(Vege Giani brand, $8.49 for 21 ounces): These received the second-highest marks for tasting close to the real thing. Most testers were favorably impressed with the aroma, texture and appearance. "Can imagine actually buying and enjoying these," and "a little more hot dog than sausage."
Duck
icon-2_1.gif

(Green Meat brand roast duck, $4.89 for 10.8 ounces): Testers appreciated its look and texture. Rated "smoky" and "chewy."
Chicken breast slices
icon-3_1.gif

(Vegebest brand, $3.99 for eight ounces): Relatively high marks for its appearance. One tester liked the flavor. "Like hospital chicken," "better than Tofurky," "like Oscar Meyer."
Bacon
icon-4_1.gif

(Vegebest, $4.39 for 9.6 ounces): Looks like a pale version of slab bacon, but the taste didn't come close. "Too sweet," "no bacon/smoky flavor."
Lobster
icon-5_1.gif

(Vegebest, $8.95 for one pound): Dyed lobster-red on the outside, a puzzling beige color on the inside. "Zero semblance of lobster," "tastes a lot like chicken," "wish it had a stringier texture like lobster."
Steak
icon-6_1.gif

(Vegetarian Foods Sand-Bright Beef Steak brand, $3.99 for eight ounces): "Gummy," "looks like steak; tastes like sausage!"
Shrimp
icon-7_1.gif

(Vegan King Prawn brand, $4.89 for eight ounces): Cute, but the taste was disappointing. "Very spongy," "like rubbery squid," "maybe if it was battered and deep-fried, it might pass as overcooked shrimp." (The shrimp fared better when used in a recipe; see Page F8.)
Tasted but not pictured:
Salmon
(Chin Hsin Foods Co. Ltd., $3.89 for 10.5 ounces): All thumbs down, but it earned a point or two for its approximation of salmon skin and flesh color. Deemed "too fishy," "watery" and "fake-flavored."
Chicken nuggets
(two different textures; both Vegebest, $4.89 for 10.5 ounces): Texture and appearance were okay, but comments ran to "flavorless," "unpleasant" and "chemical-tasting" (only natural ingredients are listed, however).
Citrus-sauced spare ribs
(May Wah/Vegebest brand, $3.69 for 8.8 ounces): These received the highest ratings -- and most exclamation marks -- for taste, texture, flavor and proximity to meat. "Actually looked like meat!" "Sauce made all the difference," "Would choose these over the real thing!" "They remind me of Vietnamese grilled shaved beef."

We get it. You don't like the concept of being vegan. Now move on.

Where do they get there B12 and Omega 3 from.
I'm thinking you're asking a question you already know the answer to.

There are no credible sources of b12 that are absorbed by the body that are not animal based - unless you get regular B12 shots from your doctor.

Omega 3 is not limited to animal products, there are multiple plant based sources of Omega 3.

There are no credible sources of b12 that are absorbed by the body that are not animal based - unless you get regular B12 shots from your doctor.

Omega 3 is not limited to animal products, there are multiple plant based sources of Omega 3.
Is that correct for B12? I thought some vegetarian products are "fortified" with B12 supplements (mostly carb-based products).

This list seems to suggest tofu(!) is up there as well: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B12.php

Is that correct for B12? I thought some vegetarian products are "fortified" with B12 supplements (mostly carb-based products).

This list seems to suggest tofu(!) is up there as well: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B12.php
Well there you go, you learn something new every day. I've read up on some articles in the past that also suggest not washing your veges before consuming is another way ie. B12 in the soil - and algae based sources but that they don't absorb by the body in the same way that animal based B12 does.

Well there you go, you learn something new every day. I've read up on some articles in the past that also suggest not washing your veges before consuming is another way ie. B12 in the soil - and algae based sources but that they don't absorb by the body in the same way that animal based B12 does.
Yeah there is definitely a difference in absorption rates (especially for non-fortified products) but no way am I going to stop washing my greens - unwashed baby spinach leaves are one of the major causes of food poisoning in Australia.
The other issue is the problem with eating processed soy, there seems to be quite a lot of anecdotal evidence there are side effects and quite a few vegetarians won't eat it (preferring whole or fermented soy products such as Tempeh & Tamari or just eating the beans themselves whole)

Yeah there is definitely a difference in absorption rates (especially for non-fortified products) but no way am I going to stop washing my greens - unwashed baby spinach leaves are one of the major causes of food poisoning in Australia.
The other issue is the problem with eating processed soy, there seems to be quite a lot of anecdotal evidence there are side effects and quite a few vegetarians won't eat it (preferring whole or fermented soy products such as Tempeh & Tamari or just eating the beans themselves whole)
Yeah, it's a pretty bad trade off, but then.. Vegos aren't eating said soy products for their B12 content - it just becomes one of those nutrients that you either selectively ignore or you go to the doctor for every 2? months. I've also read the list of soy side effects and nasties and i'm content to avoid running that gauntlet all together.

Durianrider blames his history of crones and thyroid problems for his low B12 and has been shooting up ever since.

He's a bit of a weirdo. He claims to be "spreading the message" but recently he has just looked like more of a sell out. Loves the money he gets from his monetized videos but does he give back to the community? Charges $30 for an ebook. $20 or less is the going rate especially for a no name like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean you can't get all your Omega 3's from plant..?

If Vegos aren't eating meat - isn't that exactly what they're doing?

They only get Alpha Linolenic acid ALA from plants. They miss out on the major ones Docosapentaenoic acid DPA
(found in grass-fed beef etc) and in seafood Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)

I'm thinking you're asking a question you already know the answer to.

There's homepathic b12 sprays , using one now, that are effective.

Natto is possibly the best fermented soy product as its high in Vitamin K but I dust trust commercial fermentation, fermenting at home is much better.

Just had a heart check at work - my cholesterol had risen slightly, but was advised "a proper blood-test is necessary because headline cholesterol levels do not distinguish between HDL & LDL" (paraphrasing).

That article doesn't seem to make any distinction between good & bad cholesterol; sound just like BMI advocates TBH.

Good cholesterol and bad cholesterol is another outdated myth anyway. There is no correlation between heart disease and "bad cholesterol" - however there IS a correlation between heart disease and LOW HDL with high triglicerides.

The best way to raise your "good" cholesterol (i.e. HDL) is to eat saturated fat.
The best way to raise your trigs is to eat grains, legumes and processed oils.
Spot the massive problem with mainstream wisdom on healthy diet to prevent heart disease :(

As for "bad" cholesterol - well that usually refers to LDL and there is only one component of LDL that is bad, the rest is good. The bad component of LDL is small dense LDL and the amount of SLDL you have can be identified by your trigs. If you have lower than .5 then you do not have any SLDL and so having "high cholesterol" in this scenario should cause reason to celebrate, irrespective of the ratio of "good" and "bad" cholesterol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back