Food/Supplements Diet Diet, Supplements and Enhancers - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on diets & supplements, I was stopped after I finished the workout this morning by another regular at the gym who is in reasonable shape already, focusses on compound lifts, decent form - never chatted to him before, he asked for diet &^ supplement advice and wanted to know what I eat and when, etc. More power to him for walking up to a stranger and asking for advice - I've done it a couple of times when I started going to the gym on exercise/form advice and worried about the "piss off mate" factor - spend 10 minutes chatting to him.

He seemed suprised I didn't carb-up pre workout or post-workout, the LCHFers would be happy to know that's the direction he was looking to take as well.

Just on diets & supplements, I was stopped after I finished the workout this morning by another regular at the gym who is in reasonable shape already, focusses on compound lifts, decent form - never chatted to him before, he asked for diet &^ supplement advice and wanted to know what I eat and when, etc. More power to him for walking up to a stranger and asking for advice - I've done it a couple of times when I started going to the gym on exercise/form advice and worried about the "piss off mate" factor - spend 10 minutes chatting to him.

He seemed suprised I didn't carb-up pre workout or post-workout, the LCHFers would be happy to know that's the direction he was looking to take as well.

Good boost for the ego!

Isn't it funny how people will take advice from a stranger, just like on here!

Interesting how some with a decent physique gains authority for sound advice.

I recently over heard a young guy asking a big dude(juiced) what he eats, all I heard was,
When I get up I make a big *ing shake with fruit n sum *ing eggs, honey , *ing yogurt, protein powder, it's got *ing BCAA's n stuff in it.
Smoko I'll have a Big M n few *ing muesli bars.
Lunch I usually smash down a couple *ing chicken kebabs
Before gym I drink this *ing pre workout s**t that gives me heaps of *ing energy.
After gym I smash down about 4-5 scoops of this *ing protein powder stuff n then I have I have a big steak for dinner with some *ing pasta n s**t.

Young guy- ok I might try that then!

So your advice sounds a bit better than the one heard.

Aren't you a tall lanky bastard?
It's hard to answer this without sounding arrogant :oops:

Good boost for the ego!
Ja, but I was more thinking that it's pretty ballsy to approach someone you don't really know and ask for advice - most people, especially at the gym, tend to pretend they know exactly what they're doing (and seeing the numbers of ego-lifters floating about, that's obviously false).

"True wisdom is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucious

Interesting how some with a decent physique gains authority for sound advice.
Too true - I wouldn't know 5% of what cptkirk does when it comes to training (hence I generally stick to the basics) but I'm blessed with being taller than average and having a good shape so people would probably assume my knowledge could remotely compare with his.

FWIW when I recall my diet advice, apart from the two golden rules it's pretty close to alot of what's on the LCHF thread :eek:

It's hard to answer this without sounding arrogant :oops:

Ja, but I was more thinking that it's pretty ballsy to approach someone you don't really know and ask for advice - most people, especially at the gym, tend to pretend they know exactly what they're doing (and seeing the numbers of ego-lifters floating about, that's obviously false).

"True wisdom is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucious

Too true - I wouldn't know 5% of what cptkirk does when it comes to training (hence I generally stick to the basics) but I'm blessed with being taller than average and having a good shape so people would probably assume my knowledge could remotely compare with his.

FWIW when I recall my diet advice, apart from the two golden rules it's pretty close to alot of what's on the LCHF thread :eek:

Yeah but as good as having a broad range of knowledge is it doesn't automatically equal results , it just means your can make a more educated decision.

Putting all your eggs in one basket is risky business. This goes with just about everything in life.

If you haven't tested alternatives out, you're missing out. That's my motto anyway... Good on the confident gym chap.

And a new supplement could hit the market - post-workout beer

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...nk-not-as-crazy-as-it-sounds?ft=1&f=139941248

There may be some good news brewing for fitness and beer enthusiasts: Somewhere in the north, a Canadian beverage company has concocted a low-alcohol, protein-packed "fit beer" that is expected to be marketed as a sports drink later this year, if funding allows.

The so-called Lean Machine "recovery ale," created by a team of food scientists at Vampt, touts itself as a healthy alternative to traditional ales, with only 77 calories and 0.5 percent alcohol by volume. And it's supposedly enriched with nutrients, antioxidants and electrolytes to help replenish the body after a good workout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What should someone try in terms of PWO these days?

Nitroxl_Stack-4.png

VitalStrength 16:00 Nitroxl Afternoon Pre-Workout

More infor - VitalStrength website
Best price - Chemist Warehouse ($65.99 for 360g - 24 serves)

Personaly I'd avoid anything with a "prop blend" - mostly just stims and suger.

Bulk Nutrients actually list their ingredients and offer a stim. and no stim. version.

Personaly I'd avoid anything with a "prop blend" - mostly just stims and suger.

Bulk Nutrients actually list their ingredients and offer a stim. and no stim. version.

Yeah, shattered I didn't add to my last order - it seems steep adding another $12 for postage lol

Yeah, shattered I didn't add to my last order - it seems steep adding another $12 for postage lol
Yep, I tend to have one large buy every ~9 months for this reason (and buying plain unflavoured protein in 5kg lots is far more economical)

There's a lot of hype about "grass-fed" dairy and beef at the moment, but haven't cows always eaten grass?

Yeah in the past they have. But alot of cows are fed heavy grain diets to fatten them up nowadays, which makes the meats alot more unhealthy for us.

Yep, I tend to have one large buy every ~9 months for this reason (and buying plain unflavoured protein in 5kg lots is far more economical)

So you just drink it plain with water or do you mix it in with other stuff? Whats it taste like just plain?
Almost through my 5kg bag of BN choc WPI and getting pretty sick of the flavour! Might just cop the extra cost and just buy in 2/3kg bags now..
Looking at either coffee or cookies&cream next.

On the topic of PWOs, BN is releasing a new type soon (NO3X) which I might give a crack.

So you just drink it plain with water or do you mix it in with other stuff? Whats it taste like just plain?
I workout (basically fasted) in the morning.
I have a small amount pre-workout with a PWO drink.

Post WO I have a banana, creatine, protein, honey, some form of fat, coconut water & some plain tap water too.

Tastes fine.

Please read this & stop taking creatine immediately before it turns you into mass murderer!

http://nypost.com/2014/05/28/friend-say-ucsb-killer-was-hooked-on-creatine-supplement/

Have you heard the story of how that came about?

Some journo contacted a facebook friend of the killer to ask about him. As luck would have it it was a troll facebook account from someone on a fitness forum who took the opportunity to feed her all that bullshit about creatine and she swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Then a heap of other news sites picked it up and ran with the story too. A pretty masterful trolling effort I must say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back