Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Carlton :thumbsu:

Pick 28: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Club: Western Jets
DOB: 8/2/1996
Height: 184cm
Weight: 82kg

Dillon Viojo-Rainbow's speed and endurance are eye-catching and he’s also a good decision-maker. Renowned for his defending, the left footer can also play midfield and is universally regarded seen as a positive character around the place.

Pick 28: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Rainbow warrior readies for the big time

“Oh, I’m stoked. I’m really over the moon, to have heard my name called out by such a highly-respected club. This really hasn’t sunk in yet.”

Rainbow warrior readies for the big time

AFL Draft Tracker:

Medium defender/midfielder with elite left-foot kick. Sees the game well and makes smart decisions. Can also push forward and kicks long goals. Clean and effective by hand. Averaged 13 possessions in five matches at 73 per cent efficiency in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Averaged 17 disposals in 12 games for Western Jets at TAC Cup level.

20 days to the draft: Meet Dillon Viojo- Rainbow

Give Viojo-Rainbow some room and he'll make the most of it. He loves to swing on to his left foot and make the play. He's a lively prospect who wants to be involved in the game as much he can, and enjoys streaming forward with the ball.

20 days to the draft: Meet Dillon Viojo- Rainbow

Skippos 2014 Phantom Draft:

26. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (Vic Metro, Precision kicking defender)

184 cm, 82 kg, 8/2/96
Range: 19-31
Style: Matthew Suckling
Comparison: Shannon Hurn (worse defender though)

Viojo-Rainbow would add some polish and footskills to any side. Viojo-Rainbow is all about the kick. It defines him. He's a penetrating left footer who hits targets consistently and with real penetration and the ability to cover distance. It's a Hurn/Suckling-esque kick. Barring that he's not too exciting. He doesn't win much of his own ball and has to be fed it on the outside instead of putting himself in the right position to receive it and defensively he is turned around a little too easily and gets a bit lost aerially. That said with his kick he's got the foundation to take a punt on especially with the relative success of half backs this late in the draft.

Evaluation of his prospects:By sheer virtue of his boot he'll remain in contention for some time. However whether he makes the grade as an AFL prospect depends more on whether he can build the game around that boot to be relevant in a few other ways. He needs to end up in the right system.

Snoop Dog 2014 Phantom Draft:

28 Carlton - Dillon Viojo -Rainbow
Projects as a player with huge upside for mine. Nice height, athletically goes well and suits Carlton want for run, speed and skill. Another who I think will go in the range of 25-35 and you would think everyone be keen on him.

# 30 Collingwood - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
Club: Western Jets
Height: 185cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: HBF / Wing
Bio: He is one of those kids that did a few things during champs that made you go “wowee”. He is one of the best ball users in the draft and cant imagine him not being taken by a club pretty early. He has that ability to kick low and be quite penetrating which really cuts through the lines. Also had a magnificent year at TAC level where he was one of the dominant players for the Jets finishing in their bests 10 of 12 games. He has good endurance and speed and is probably suited to a HB or wing position.

Why: The knock on him is the defensive side and he never had any more than 3 tackles a game this year which would be at the bottom end so that needs work but you can fix that. Wouldn’t mind Collingwood looking at a tall fwd (McKenzie) or an inside mid (Bampton or Gore).

Gee Dub's Phantom Draft:

45. West Coast – Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (Western Jets)
Height: 185 cm
Weight: 80 kg
Player Comparison: Shannon Hurn

After Harrison Wigg, Viojo-Rainbow is probably the best kick in the draft. He has an excellent left boot which can send the ball to its target almost immediately. He kicks it low and flat and gives defenders little chance. Struggles a little defensively and seems to have trouble reading the play and predicting where his opponent is going to move to so I see him as more of a wingman who can use the ball effectively and be a real creative weapon.

Chris25 - 2014 BigFooty Phantom Draft:

His strengths are pretty obvious. His biggest being his kicking. I don't think he quite gets the love that he should be getting, because I'd rate him the best kick in the draft. His left foot is elite. He also has good hands in close, and is very underrated in the air. He runs hard with a strong endurance base, and also runs powerfully. He basically has all the attributes you look for in a half back, all wrapped up nicely in a 185cm frame. The AFL website has stolen my thunder a little today, but Michael Hibberd is a very good comparison.

But, I like his potential through the midfield. And that's a large part of why I've taken him for Fremantle. He would fill a big need for size, run and skill. While most of his football this year was in the back half, he was thrown into the midfield on a number of occasions for the Jets and he did very well - just as a side note, he was named in the bests in 10 out of 12 games for the Western Jets this year. These comments from Shane Sexton sum up my feelings on him as a potential midfielder...

"There was one game against the Knights where we were 20 points behind at three quarter time and we were under the pump, we had throw him onto the ball and he just kept getting it forward. I hope the recruiters watched that with a fair bit of interest and that they see him as someone who can go into the midfield and be a really dangerous player with the ball in his hands and a bit of room to run and carry."

Everyone on BigFooty is looking for the next Nat Fyfe. The flanker who becomes an elite midfielder. And, I don't think you need to look too far away from Viojo-Rainbow. He has the same almost laconic look to him out on the ground, and enough to suggest that he hasn't gotten the most out of his ability quite yet. I don't think Viojo-Rainbow will develop the same contested game as Fyfe, but he has similar traits with his hands, vision and running. Jackson Macrae is another player who I see similarities with.

2014 Draft Profile: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Perhaps what draws draft enthusiasts to Viojo-Rainbow is his presence on-field. He is tough and uncompromising in the air, and offers a bit of mongrel in the way he attacks the ball or the man. Given his thumping yet accurate kick, he’s been used mostly off half back given his penetration and ability to read the play.

He does, however, loom as a next-level winger, such is his running capacity and natural attacking flair. His tackling is good without being great, but he gets frustrated if he doesn’t stick a tackle. More importantly, he brings about the physical edge which the position demands.

He doesn’t need huge numbers to cut apart teams due to high efficiency, but his kicking in general defines him, with a disposal efficiency of 70 per cent.

2014 Draft Profile: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Kicking an asset for Viojo-Rainbow

When asked about what he can bring to the team off field his response was succinct and tireless,
“Some maturity off the field and professionalism as well, so I believe I can offer a whole range of
things off the field”, he said.

Kicking an asset for Viojo-Rainbow

Dillon Viojo-Rainbow interviewed by Mad Monday Show

Last edited:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...on-viojo-rainbow/story-fngnvog3-1227135445730

After the carnival he moved to the midfield and “started to break games open through that area of the ground”.

Viojo-Rainbow said he had no preferred position.

He has had issues with his back in previous years but said the problem was “all cleared up now”, declaring he was feeling “really good”.

“I haven’t had a pre-season in a while, so I probably don’t have the tank to run midfield,” Viojo-Rainbow said.

“But if I had a full pre-season under my belt I could probably break into the midfield and play four quarters through there. I’m probably better suited off half-back for now.”

Former Western Jets flyer Dillon Viojo-Rainbow has his sights set on Round 1 debut with Carlton next year

Viojo-Rainbow, a product of the Bacchus Marsh and Hoppers Crossing football clubs, said he wanted to line up for the Blues in their traditional round one blockbuster against Richmond.

He has been handed no. 16, the same number worn by 200-game player Scott Camporeale and three-time premiership player Jim Buckley.

Former Western Jets flyer Dillon Viojo-Rainbow has his sights set on Round 1 debut with Carlton next year

I'll be surprised if we see him debut in round 1, but stranger things have happened and he'll give himself a chance with a good preseason.

MM has shown he's not afraid to give the kids a go and if DVR performs well in the lead up.......why not?

I'll be surprised if we see him debut in round 1, but stranger things have happened and he'll give himself a chance with a good preseason.

MM has shown he's not afraid to give the kids a go and if DVR performs well in the lead up.......why not?
I really like the look of this lad, cant believe how well the recruiters have done great to see they have recruited for the future by bringing in exceptional leaders and strong bodies

Dillon's kicking is already a stand-out on the track.
Ball goes from A to B very quickly with next to no air time. It's a bullet.

DVR hasn't quite got the energy of his more senior team-mates but that's to be expected.
One thing DVR hasn't got, that some of our players no longer on the list had, is that blank look of not understanding of what one is expected to do.
Kid looks like he's come to play.

They've seriously padded out his stats in his season summary:

Season review: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

VFL STATS
Disposals: 300 (18.75) Marks: 107 (6.68) Tackles: 38 (2.375)

If he was earning that much possession playing predominantly half forward as he was, he'd have been in the senior side at some point.

Pretty ordinary first year for DVR no matter which way you look at it.

Seems like a really nice guy and more importantly a very determined one.......Looking forward to a considerable jump in output next year.
Lacked fitness and subsequently didn't play midfield and was not seen for long periods up forward in a terrible VFL side.

I'm tipping a much better year, he just shows brilliant glimpses and has the right enthusiasm.

Bolts will love the kick on him, he's quick too...could be like a better Holman in the next couple of years but again, needs to work very hard on the fitness side of things. Over to you Joel Hocking!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty ordinary first year for DVR no matter which way you look at it.

Seems like a really nice guy and more importantly a very determined one.......Looking forward to a considerable jump in output next year.

way too harsh on rookies and it was always going to take him time to get the right body to play consistent football

way too harsh on rookies and it was always going to take him time to get the right body to play consistent football

Not harsh at all. It was Walsh's first year also and he saw senior action............He's also 7 months younger than DVR.

DVR's year was ordinary. I wonder whether he'd say otherwise.

Not harsh at all. It was Walsh's first year also and he saw senior action............He's also 7 months younger than DVR.

DVR's year was ordinary. I wonder whether he'd say otherwise.
different body builds as well, DVR needs to get some muscle on him, some bulk.....sick of people rubbishing rookies in their first year. They are not drafted to star straight away

different body builds as well, DVR needs to get some muscle on him, some bulk.....sick of people rubbishing rookies in their first year. They are not drafted to star straight away

Sure, but little point playing up something that wasn't there. DVR's first season wasn't anything special but his second may be....

His body isn't as slender as is Menadue's who managed to get a couple of games with Richmond this year, either.

Not bagging the kid but just stating some facts.......and I did see plenty of him.

Harker doesn't rubbish players. DVR has plenty of ability but he was real physical, a real goer as a junior. He's had his year of development but he needs to start owning VFL games next year. We have a senior coach with a much better understanding of players roles on the field which will help him a lot I feel.

Harker doesn't rubbish players. DVR has plenty of ability but he was real physical, a real goer as a junior. He's had his year of development but he needs to start owning VFL games next year. We have a senior coach with a much better understanding of players roles on the field which will help him a lot I feel.
his third year he will really come along nicely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back