Dimma was right when he said:

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
After round one he asked for two players in particular to stand up: Ellis and Vickery. They both stood up for a match and then decided that that was enough for the month.

Dimma is right in this instance. You can blame Edwards, Newman, Petterd and any other fringe player as much as you want, but the reality is that some of our top draft picks aren't performing anywhere near their capabilities.

So, continue to call for said players to be dropped and keep looking away from how average Martin, Conca, Ellis, etc are at the moment and you'll find that our top ten players aren't good enough.

That's why when Mike Sheehan and all those flogs list their top 50 and we only have one player in it, it's because our A's and B's aren't good enough. Our C's and D's are acceptable.

Thoughts?

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
After round one he asked for two players in particular to stand up: Ellis and Vickery. They both stood up for a match and then decided that that was enough for the month.

Dimma is right in this instance. You can blame Edwards, Newman, Petterd and any other fringe player as much as you want, but the reality is that some of our top draft picks aren't performing anywhere near their capabilities.

So, continue to call for said players to be dropped and keep looking away from how average Martin, Conca, Ellis, etc are at the moment and you'll find that our top ten players aren't good enough.

That's why when Mike Sheehan and all those flogs list their top 50 and we only have one player in it, it's because our A's and B's aren't good enough. Our C's and D's are acceptable.

Thoughts?

Actually Conca pretty good tonight IMO, Martin not bad!

Jan 3, 2005
At Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
L.A. Kings, Oakland Raiders
If you have a fair amount of players not putting in enough. Yet pick them every week........maybe just maybe the coach is unable to get the best out of the players and nobody is there to replace them as they aren't developing......maybe.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Thoughts?

Vickery shoud not of played tonight in those conditions... Dumb coach..... Platying Ellis who is an attacking player that can break through pack in a run with role... is Dumb. .... playing Vlas of half back ... is dumb..... watching your side continually over use the handball ... was Dumb. ..... it was a dumb game. ....

Tigerland

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2004
NSW
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry, crap effort from all off the mentioned.

Time to call a spade a spade:

Attention Vickery Snr: * off for the clubs sake! Him or you! What purpose does a father/son coach have?

I've given 44 years of my life to Richmond. Farked if I'll give more to some

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Give me a break about it being s**t conditions for Vickery.

There was not a drop of rain during the entire game. No wind. Bright lights.

The ground may have been a little wet from earlier rain, but the MCG has world class drainage - it wasn't a mudbath.

These are the conditions we expect a sixth year player to be able to adapt to and play in.

Tigerland

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2004
NSW
AFL Club
Richmond

The ground may have been a little wet from earlier rain, but the MCG has world class drainage - it wasn't a mudbath.

These are the conditions we expect a sixth year player to be able to adapt to and play in.

Yeah I agree, not perfect conditions for the lipstick wearing, purse carrying, ridiculous hair-do, boxing coaches soft bellied boy.

Axe Dad and Son, I'm not paying my FTF for those yellowed bellies am I?

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Are we putting to much expectations on players like Conca,Ellis and to a lesser extent Vlas?
Did we get sucked into the fact that where they got drafted automatically makes them stars?
When the truth to be known(Not their fault)that they actually are just your middle of the road type players who will give you 100% commitment but not the class or polish under pressure.
The reason the Pies could put a heavy tag on Cotchin because in the area of Class,Sadly for us apart from Cotchin and Lids,the cupboard is pretty bare.Makes it worse when Lids is out.
I hate potting young kids but to me i think thats the reality with our side ATM.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Name a tall that played well?

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Are we putting to much expectations on players like Conca,Ellis and to a lesser extent Vlas?
Did we get sucked into the fact that where they got drafted automatically makes them stars?
When the truth to be known(Not their fault)that they actually are just your middle of the road type players who will give you 100% commitment but not the class or polish under pressure.
The reason the Pies could put a heavy tag on Cotchin because in the area of Class,Sadly for us apart from Cotchin and Lids,the cupboard is pretty bare.Makes it worse when Lids is out.
I hate potting young kids but to me i think thats the reality with our side ATM.
Conca played well and the other 2 will be stars but one was concussed last week and is 19yo and the other is 20. They shouldn't be expected to dominate but that's just our way. Expect 19-20yo's to dominate seasoned veterans because the senior blokes sure as hell won't.

leekok

Cancelled
I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Dec 7, 2013
offline, online whilst posting
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hide the sausage
Conca aside ... We are giving Ellis and Vlas negative roles.... when they should be developing their game... becoming attacking players that can win games not defend games.
Once again it's dumb dimma's fault. According to him every player has to learn his trade in the back half before being put in their natural position.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Conca aside ... We are giving Ellis and Vlas negative roles.... when they should be developing their game... becoming attacking players that can win games not defend games.
I'm all for developing the defensive side of their game,I'm pretty sure thats the one negative with the u'18 comp,Mids attack but are not encouraged to do the defensive type of work.Maybe things will improve now that we have our own 2nds side.Learn there first.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Conca played well and the other 2 will be stars but one was concussed last week and is 19yo and the other is 20. They shouldn't be expected to dominate but that's just our way. Expect 19-20yo's to dominate seasoned veterans because the senior blokes sure as hell won't.
Hear what your saying in regards to our so called senior blokes,But like i said the gulf between our Few good players and the rest is a worry.cotch gets covered and no one steps up.Its a worry.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Hear what your saying in regards to our so called senior blokes,But like i said the gulf between our Few good players and the rest is a worry.cotch gets covered and no one steps up.Its a worry.
This week I'm at the point I don't care anymore. Happens all the time. Coach start off well, takes short cuts, club thinks they're better than they are, rinse and repeat.

Same with this, Cotch gets shut down so do we, rinse and repeat. Thought Conca showed a bit last night but start to play some of these kids in their future position. Start playing Floss in the middle (just for periods, don't kill him or anything). Play Arnot a full game through the midfield. He has the tank, but probably not the match fitness to do a whole game. Give Helbig a crack in the midfield if he plays well again tomorrow. Less Thomas (s**t) and Jackson (underdone)

Back