Dirty Players who display malicious intent?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes Tiger

All Australian
May 11, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Buddy's been a bit of a reckless spiteful prick at times to say the least. Any other characters you find to be genuinely dirty bastards? Besides Ty Vickery:D

Barry Hall and that king hit on Staker, I can't believe any of the west coast players didnt have the balls to punch on with Barry. If that was Woosha on the field in his days or someone like Peter Wilson it would have been a royal rumble on display.

It's hard to be dirty without malicious intent. If you do something by accident, it can hardly be considered dirty. Similarly, if you do something dirty then it can hardly be considered non-malicious.

Bloody McVeigh on Puopulo too. Hope police were called!

auvujEE.gif

There's a few head cases running around. Guys prone to losing it and getting suspended.

Mitch Robinson, Hayden Ballantyne (but he's usually just doing silly stuff), Vickery now can be classed with them.

I don't know if there's anyone left who's really out there trying to hurt. Some players tackle to make it hurt, and all should be instructed to. But that's about winding or bruising someone and making them feel it. Much different to actually leaving someone injured.

Cambell brown was a good one, at it, as many of the hawthorn players over the years
I was thinking of Campbell Brown. But how many truly malicious things did he get suspended for? I reckon I can think of a couple of really bad bumps and a couple of other incidents. Maybe 3-4 dirty moments in a whole career and plenty of legal bumps, tackles and spoils in that time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a few head cases running around. Guys prone to losing it and getting suspended.

Mitch Robinson, Hayden Ballantyne (but he's usually just doing silly stuff), Vickery now can be classed with them.

I don't know if there's anyone left who's really out there trying to hurt. Some players tackle to make it hurt, and all should be instructed to. But that's about winding or bruising someone and making them feel it. Much different to actually leaving someone injured.

Spot on. He does some silly, silly things, but there's never a heap of force behind it (except maybe his bump on chappy a couple years back, but I think that was combination of Chappy being blindsided and Ballantyne got him right in the stomach) - he usually has enough to knock a guy over, sure - but nothing in comparison to the Hall hit on Staker or any other similar incident.

I was thinking of Campbell Brown. But how many truly malicious things did he get suspended for? I reckon I can think of a couple of really bad bumps and a couple of other incidents. Maybe 3-4 dirty moments in a whole career and plenty of legal bumps, tackles and spoils in that time.

His deliberate look and elbow on Ward was a dog act.... Should have been punished more severely at the time...

Was the guy's name Carl Dietrich? If I'm not mistaken. Saints player in the 60s.

Big Shadow. If there was a Collingwood player within arms reach he'd throw them to the ground.

Mitch Robinson was the first to come to mind although I would qualify that as; intention to hurt/rough up rather than intention to injure. I also don't believe he is trying to play outside of the rules but he is not the most intelligent player (at least comes off that way).

Mitch Robinson was the first to come to mind although I would qualify that as; intention to hurt/rough up rather than intention to injure. I also don't believe he is trying to play outside of the rules but he is not the most intelligent player (at least comes off that way).

Yeah, I've never seen Robinson as a "dirty" player, just someone who probably doesn't have the best impulse control and has too many 'brain fades' in the heat of the game.

And I reckon that applies to most players who are considered "dirty" - I think there would be very few who ever really want to intentionally injure someone, but rather may want to apply "pressure" and just don't have the capacity to consistently keep it within the limits. If they are doing it repeatedly away from the ball, or if it's appearing pre-meditated - then you would start to think of it as dirty - but I don't think most fit into that.

Then you'd have a group of guys (including Balla's, but he's far from the only one) who do the little niggling things to get under the opponents skin - and for the most part do so without crossing the line... not 'dirty' IMO, just a very common occurance across all sports, and could be seen as a skill that all players would have to learn how to deal with.

The acts that really worry me are the ones that appear well thought at, and really appear to have intent to cause actual injury - and these are quite rare. Unfortunately, Judd is the main guy that stands out here (but I'm sure there are others), but that really is for a few incidents in the past... although it does always concern me when I see players who tackle only one arm and pull on it - seemed to happen a bit a few years ago, haven't seen it much recently - that to me is a very dirty tackle, because of how easy it is to dislocate a shoulder.
Another 'dirty' act is players who tunnel a marking player - but it's really hard to gauge how intentional that is.

I don;t reckon there are any dirty players who have Malicious intent anymore. It's not like the older days when you had guys like Ditterich, Grinter, Merrett etc.

Now a days you get a guys who have a bit of a brainfade and do something violent (see Vickery, Brown, Lakes etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back