Discussion on Pick #14 - Jake Lever

Remove this Banner Ad

In my mind Lever still a much smarter pick than Cockatoo for our needs. And I would play him the moment one of our 2 tall defenders is injured and misses. Get games in him and don't be sucked into playing someone like Cheny out of position or bringing in Jpod to fill a hole in the backline.

Someone pointed out on a footy program in the Hawks vs Cats game how Burgoyne knew how to stop Cockatoo because Burgoyne "was Cockatoo" before
That was Gerard on 360. Also trying to take some heat off his teams prised new recruit. He will be good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Debatable. Mark probably had more talent. Steve had the grit, determination and application that Mark lacked, which allowed him to achieve a far better record though in the longer term.
I've always thought batting was more science than art.

Mark was the artist and Steve the scientist - hence Steve had greater success.

I had a supporters chat with Scotty Thompson; "They say hello and a few words. I asked how Jake went in the trial. "OK,Jake will be better for the run etc" and then he added "Hell he's a competitive bugger."
Good to hear from one who knows.

Heard this a few times. I forget which interview it was but someone mentioned in the preseason that they had to hold him back because he was too keen to go hell for leather in training.

Definitely a good trait to have, as long as it can be managed :thumbsu: Reminds me a bit of Dangerfield's early seasons.

do we expect that Jake will play the third tall role when he comes in? If so, does he provide rebound or will he be a Talia lock-down type?
The former I think. Has the ability to play as a tall midfielder but most likely he will be a pretty attacking third man up, rebounding defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back