Discussion on Pick #14 - Jake Lever

Remove this Banner Ad

He definitely does, the kid is barely 19 so not going to be same as danger now but has him covered for power and strength at same age

I'm still happy we have a gun KPD to play with talia

Cockatoo will be a good player, but reminds me more of Varcoe than Dangerfield. Flashes of brilliance and runs that catch the eye, but only time will tell if he ends up better than Varcoe.

Think he said in his Crows chat that he played a lot of his junior footy in the midfield

An inordinate number of AFL draftees play a lot of their junior football in the midfield, especially before they get to U18s, because at the U14 and U16 stage their talent greatly outshines the vast majority of average schmoes they play with and against, to the point that their coaches will put them anywhere they are needed on a given day. Not to mention most of them don't start growing to KPP height until the age of 16 or more anyway.

I had a supporters chat with Scotty Thompson; "They say hello and a few words. I asked how Jake went in the trial. "OK,Jake will be better for the run etc" and then he added "Hell he's a competitive bugger."
Good to hear from one who knows.
Was on display at the trial game. Looked like every time he rotated off he was on the sidelines screaming instructions/encouragement to his teammates.

Cockatoo will be a good player, but reminds me more of Varcoe than Dangerfield. Flashes of brilliance and runs that catch the eye, but only time will tell if he ends up better than Varcoe.
He's got way more power than varcoe out of congestion and wins a lot more contested ball hence the Dangerfield comparison in his style

Certainly more of a Shaun Burgoyne type than a Dangerfield I think, Cockatoos more finesse than Crash and Bash, pure power that Danger is.
Disagree but we will see , at U18 level he powered out of stoppages very much like danger and lacks the silky kicking skills of Burgoyne

That power will take awhile to show against big bodies but I'm sure it will come

I'm still happy with lever which is the main topic !

Disagree but we will see , at U18 level he powered out of stoppages very much like danger and lacks the silky kicking skills of Burgoyne

That power will take awhile to show against big bodies but I'm sure it will come

that's the difference, Danger goes through two just to get to the ball.

that's the difference, Danger goes through two just to get to the ball.
He's 24 yrs v 19 yrs , I'm not saying cockatoo is going to be as good just that is the most similar player comparison...Burgoyne is a silky skilled predominantly outside player that is also pretty clever at stoppages. Cockatoo doesn't have burgoynes panache

Definitely won't be as good as a forward in 1 on 1 marking contests as danger

Can we keep danger please ??!!

Cockatoo was given no easy first game by the hawks. They were all over him. Looks a prospect though and when he gets even stronger than he already is imo he'll be very similar to Dangerfield.

I don't agree with the comparison. They don't really have the same body type. Cockatoo will never be able to bulk up the way Danger has. Doesn't matter how much time he spends in the gym.*

*Not saying Cockatoo won't be a gun player too though

An inordinate number of AFL draftees play a lot of their junior football in the midfield, especially before they get to U18s, because at the U14 and U16 stage their talent greatly outshines the vast majority of average schmoes they play with and against, to the point that their coaches will put them anywhere they are needed on a given day. Not to mention most of them don't start growing to KPP height until the age of 16 or more anyway.
Yeah, it's like how nearly all Wide receivers, running backs and defenders in the NFL have played Quarter Back in their junior days. you want your most athletic players where the money's at.

You sure about that silky kicking skills bit, I know it's early days but Nakia was ranked No.1 in kicking efficiency of all the players in the 2014 draft camp...

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2014.htm

Footnote : Our Mitch McGoven did pretty well too!

You sure about that silky kicking skills bit, I know it's early days but Nakia was ranked No.1 in kicking efficiency of all the players in the 2014 draft camp...

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2014.htm

Footnote : Our Mitch McGoven did pretty well too!
He's a long kick but he's a bit bull of a gate - remind you of anyone .... Those kicking tests lack applied pressure .... Our Rambo is also pretty handy and has shown it in games too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a long kick but he's a bit bull of a gate - remind you of anyone .... Those kicking tests lack applied pressure .... Our Rambo is also pretty handy and has shown it in games too

And of course you know Burgoyne had composure under pressure from the get go.....come on!!

To say he will not reach the same abilities and skillset as Burgoyne after 1 AFL game and no exposure to pressure at the top level is ridiculous....try revisiting this in 5 or 6 years then your opinion might have some credibility, presently it has none!!

With Adelaide board members concerned about the possibility of Brown missing for us this weekend, getting Lever with pick one and Wigg, who potentially will be a quality lock down small defender who can set up play with our second pick looks to cover our needs and give us insurance in vital areas. Who knows, one Brown or wig may even end up spending a bit of time in the midfield down the track. Well done AFC (with the aid of a bit of luck).

And of course you know Burgoyne had composure under pressure from the get go.....come on!!

To say he will not reach the same abilities and skillset as Burgoyne after 1 AFL game and no exposure to pressure at the top level is ridiculous....try revisiting this in 5 or 6 years then your opinion might have some credibility, presently it has none!!
Righto bicks ...I never said that I just said Burgoyne isn't the player comparison (type) I would use ...go easy on the !! 's and get some sleep

With Adelaide board members concerned about the possibility of Brown missing for us this weekend, getting Lever with pick one and Wigg, who potentially will be a quality lock down small defender who can set up play with our second pick looks to cover our needs and give us insurance in vital areas. Who knows, one Brown or wig may even end up spending a bit of time in the midfield down the track. Well done AFC (with the aid of a bit of luck).
One thing we are not short of is small defenders. Before the draft no one saw us needing to draft another sub 180cm small defender.
Wigg is nowhere near ready for AFL and isnt as good as MJ, Brown or Laird.

One thing we are not short of is small defenders. Before the draft no one saw us needing to draft another sub 180cm small defender.

That said, a lot of people said we needed lefties who are elite kicks and Wigg is that.

Whether he can find a niche in the side is another thing, but there was a need with Wigg.

Of course Wigg is not AFL ready, and therefore it is far too early to call on how good Wigg will be...or Lever for that matter. Both seem to have quite considerable potential, however.

That said, a lot of people said we needed lefties who are elite kicks and Wigg is that.

Whether he can find a niche in the side is another thing, but there was a need with Wigg.
His NAB cup game showed a far from elite kicking. And I would hope we didnt just pick someone because they were left footed. Oh wait, Hawthorn have alot of lefties, that must be their secret to success.
We didnt have a need. People have been banging on about how we really, really need KPDs, so why not grab another with that second pick?
Was a wasted pick.

FFS give the kid a go, whilst he wouldn't have been my preferred option how can you possibly make such a statement before he's actually even played an AFL or SANFL game...just plain stupidity. The kid did make the U18's All Australian side selected after the U18 Championships so to dismiss his ability as not as good as the aforementioned players already verges on nonsensical!

BTW the kid I wanted in the draft Liam Duggan lines up for his first AFL game for the Weagles this week..he was also an U18 All Australian.

Last edited:
The way some people want to can our kids before they've played a game is moronic and a disgrace.

How would you feel if people on the internet declared you were a poor choice for your job before you'd even started? Just arseholes and not very bright ones at that.

The way some people want to can our kids before they've played a game is moronic and a disgrace.

How would you feel if people on the internet declared you were a poor choice for your job before you'd even started? Just arseholes and not very bright ones at that.

McGovern may be a Brownlow winner and a multiple AA champion. They again, he may not play a game. How can anyone judge before the bloke plays a game for us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back