Discussion on Pick #35 - Harrison Wigg

Remove this Banner Ad

Tragic to hear about the death of Wigg's father too. Of course there's nothing really positive to come out of that tragedy but for Harrison to come this far having gone through that he must be made of tough stuff. Trying to honour the death of a loved one in order to "do them proud" can be a strong motivater id imagine.

He missed the draft combine so the 179cm measurement may be an old one. He could well be 181cm as the club is claiming. Not sure it matters anyway. Anything around 180 is fine for his role.

More or less the same height as Brown, I don't think it's that much of an issue really.

Um lets see YEP!!!!! We could of got Lever with pick 10 and the three players who went before him would have been options as well. We gained nothing from the move. Wigg is no gun and another small defender is not what we needed before the draft. Even the club didnt flag us needing another small. Maybe we just traded the first left footer we saw you know, cos Hawthorn have lots of lefties.

Okay, so we lost out because we got the same player we would have gotten anyway, plus another player.

Or to put it another way, having taken Wigg at pick 35 is somehow worse than having had pick 49 instead.

179 cm isn't career ending.

Tyson Edwards 178 cm
AndrewMcLeod 181 cm

Jason Porplyzia 179 cm
Rory Laird 178 cm

Chad Wingard 182 cm

Personally I think they're overrated in football terms.

These are 17-18 year old kids and I think it's very easy to get tricked into going for a kid who interviews well, perhaps just because his parents could afford a private school education and tutoring in interviews, rather than whether he can actually play football.

Being an SA kid as well, the Crows would have plenty of trusted contacts in SA to get the lowdown on what he's actually like.

It may simply be a case that they ring Brenton Phillips and say "what's he like?" And they trust his response.

Still a little strange that he wouldn't have been interviewed.

Yeah well it turns out that Walsh was apparently present when port interviewed him earlier this year, so maybe that's the reason why.

He's straight into training first thing this morning and apparently has lunch with tex and danger tomorrow haha. Good on the kid! :)

I've got some real reservations about Wigg.

At his height he's already limited with regards to what he can do defensively. He's too small to take any medium forwards. He's too slow to take the quick ones. It's a rare matchup that'd defensively suit him - blokes like Porplyzia would, but not much more. He's too small to effectively play as a loose man. A defender needs to defend first - and I worry about Wigg's ability to do that. His footskills are lovely, that's not a worry (though he does have to be fed the ball wide). I think if he's to make it it's as an outside mid or even a half forward controlling our entries. I'd like to see him make it but I'm worried. I'd have been a little less worried about a Cavka or McGrath type. Frustrating that Viojo, Howe, Lamb, Blakely and Menadue all went so close to our selection - quality really thinned out after Blakely IMO.

With all due respect, I am sure our recruiting team and coaches would be fully aware of what your concerns are... He is obviously that good that he was worthy of selecting at pick 35 anyway..
Same goes for Caleb Daniel, he is short... Fairly sure that the Bulldogs were aware

Lol wigg and grigg both left foot cannons

And Trigg......

"The cannon, The cannon, The cannon"
13386_4_full.jpg

IMO Brown will eventually move to the midfield and Matty J is still has some work to do to convince me that he is a 150 game player
Can't see that happening. Brown hasn't shown much at AFL level to ever look like translating into the midfield - He doesn't rack it up, he doesn't offer anything offensively any doesn't have any real x factor about him. He's a stopper that's done reasonably well in the position he's given and I just cant see how that will ever translate to midfield minutes. We've got that many guys that are pushing for midfield spots, Brown would be one of the last ones to be given an opportunity imo.

Can't understand what the issue is really, picks after 25 are a crapshoot anyways
I hope you weren't one of the ones saying the first round downgrade was worth it to get a later draft pick upgrade then!

*Note - Am very happy with Lever and it looks like that went perfectly to plan*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see that happening. Brown hasn't shown much at AFL level to ever look like translating into the midfield - He doesn't rack it up, he doesn't offer anything offensively any doesn't have any real x factor about him. He's a stopper that's done reasonably well in the position he's given and I just cant see how that will ever translate to midfield minutes. We've got that many guys that are pushing for midfield spots, Brown would be one of the last ones to be given an opportunity imo.

I hope you weren't one of the ones saying the first round downgrade was worth it to get a later draft pick upgrade then!

*Note - Am very happy with Lever and it looks like that went perfectly to plan*
Midfield options aplenty probably why we didnt draft any.
Danger,sloane,crouch,crouch jnr, douglas, smith,grigg,mckay,vb,kedge,lyons,thommo,cey,

Criticisms of his potential as a defender are a bit misplaced I think. I don't see this guy being a defender in the "back pocket" sense of the word. More an outside mid who might sweep across the defensive side of the contest or drop spare behind the ball and look to hit targets. I don't imagine he will be a Luke Brown style defender at AFL level.

With all due respect, I am sure our recruiting team and coaches would be fully aware of what your concerns are... He is obviously that good that he was worthy of selecting at pick 35 anyway..
Same goes for Caleb Daniel, he is short... Fairly sure that the Bulldogs were aware

With all due respect, that logic applies to every single poster on here who's voiced discontent with any of their clubs picks.

Does it mean that their opinion is automatically redundant? Bigfooty survives on the discontent of supporters.

I'd love nothing more to be wrong. In fact, being wrong is in my best interests. I just feel that the desire to add left footers and skill might have blinded us a little here.

Criticisms of his potential as a defender are a bit misplaced I think. I don't see this guy being a defender in the "back pocket" sense of the word. More an outside mid who might sweep across the defensive side of the contest or drop spare behind the ball and look to hit targets. I don't imagine he will be a Luke Brown style defender at AFL level.

And that's something I'd be behind. He is a wide receiver; doesn't win his own ball at all and does lack pace relative to most outside receivers - but it's something he's done really well at at SANFL under 18 level - playing as more of an outside mid and less of a small defender. I think/hope that might be the end game with him.

I wouldn't worry too much about the first video I know the bloke who put it and a lot of the others together. I asked him the other day why some of the highly touted players look Slightly muppety in the highlight packages. Basically he only had the rights to use clips from the two or three televised carnival games (depending on the team) and simply chucked every 'game impact' on the video. So they're not highlights packages as such. Wigg is a jet though. Amazing kick as has been said.

With all due respect, that logic applies to every single poster on here who's voiced discontent with any of their clubs picks.

Does it mean that their opinion is automatically redundant? Bigfooty survives on the discontent of supporters.

I'd love nothing more to be wrong. In fact, being wrong is in my best interests. I just feel that the desire to add left footers and skill might have blinded us a little here.

And a fair point... But I guess if he was 189cm he wouldn't have been at pick 35... And your last sentence I am also concerned with

Who would you have preffered us taking at pick 35 then from who was available out of interest?

Absolutely DEVASTATED that we missed out on Menadue by 2 picks :(

Who would you have preffered us taking at pick 35 then from who was available out of interest?

I'm amazed Tom Lamb was almost there at pick 35... Would love to know whether we still would have gone Wigg... Guess we will never know?

I'd have picked Oscar McDonald and sured up our key defensive unit for the next 10 years. Failing that, I'd have looked into Ed Vickers-Willis who I feel would add some consistency and reliability to our defence or a Dean Gore/Reece McKenzie type on a pure best available basis. Declan Hamilton and Caleb Daniel too were worth a look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back