Elder van Berlo

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
It has been said (although not by anyone official) that the reason the Hawks overlooked him was his shoulder issues. If there's an AFL footballer in there who is being held back by his body, I'm happy to take the risk. Better than picking some mediocre plodder.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hawthorn, pfffft. What have they done well lately. Seriously though, the 197cm type player seem to have a low success rate. Not a knock on the lad as I wouldn't have a clue. Good luck to him though, hope he makes it and has a long and premiership filled career with us.

I think the success rate of those 196-199cm KPPs is improving with reserves sides, plus I think they're actually getting played in key positions in jnr grades a lot more often(less so in SA by the sounds).

In the past though we'd draft a 196-199cm kid as a forward/defender, only for him to be sent to a SANFL club for development, where they'd play him predominantly in the ruck.

Now we can draft someone like Dear and play him purely as a forward right from the get go.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
if he is from sandringham dragons why does the crows photo of him show him in a SA state gurnsey, or is the photo wrong?

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
I have a good feeling about all our draftees. There no need to feel otherwise until later on if they are not rising as expected etc.
One thing I just thought of that would be ironic. Hawthorn spent five or six years developing Lowden, then traded him to us. What if in five or six years time Hawthorn come a calling for Harry and want the same.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I guess Hawthorn didn't F/S him due to them having an abundance of tall forwards. Hope it comes back to bite them in the arse like their decision to trade out Kennedy
OR was their intention to father/son Dear in the Rookie draft?

Essendon have with Jake Long ? .......do you have to nominate rookie father/sons before or after the National draft?

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
OR was their intention to father/son Dear in the Rookie draft?

Essendon have with Jake Long ? .......do you have to nominate rookie father/sons before or after the National draft?

Jeez, I am the wrong person to ask that to but I don't think you can F/S them in the rookie draft. To the point of them rookie listing him....well it makes sense, gives you three years to get them up to speed if you wish

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Jeez, I am the wrong person to ask that to but I don't think you can F/S them in the rookie draft. To the point of them rookie listing him....well it makes sense, gives you three years to get them up to speed if you wish
FATHER-SON – ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

The Father-Son Rule previously applied to players selected at the National Draft. Under the rule, other AFL clubs can bid for eligible players who have been nominated under the Father-Son Rule by an eligible club. The nominating club can select the eligible player by forfeiting its next available pick in the draft if a bid has been made by another club. If there is no bid from another club, the nominating club forfeits its last pick in the National Draft.

A club can pre-select an eligible player as a Category A rookie between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts (with the player’s consent) provided the player had nominated for but was not selected by another club at either the National or Pre-Season Drafts. In that case, the relevant club would forfeit its last available selection in the Rookie Draft to take the player.

6BTS

Club Legend
May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, King James
I don't mean to be harsh about the guy, but I'm not seeing him becoming an actual viable ruck option on a Crows team. I will be first to apologize if he proves me wrong.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the success rate of those 196-199cm KPPs is improving with reserves sides, plus I think they're actually getting played in key positions in jnr grades a lot more often(less so in SA by the sounds).

In the past though we'd draft a 196-199cm kid as a forward/defender, only for him to be sent to a SANFL club for development, where they'd play him predominantly in the ruck.

Now we can draft someone like Dear and play him purely as a forward right from the get go.

Not sure. I'd rather everyone go back hard. Although, it looks like we are heading that way.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ease up. His attributes are otherwise to be ascertained regarding lets put the big f##ker there.
Hang on ... someone posts he's not going to make it as a ruckman when he's not a ruckman at all.

Maybe some ruck relief here and there, but he doesn't have to make it as a ruck man

6BTS

Club Legend
May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, King James
Neither did they pick him to challenge sauce.

*sigh. Okay, to clear up for everyone out there that needs everything to be specifically addressed, I was referring to the ruck side of his game, he was clearly picked to be a Key Forward AND a backup Ruckman for the Leading Ruckman on game day, that's what they expect him to become and will be developing him as such. In my original quote, I foolishly didn't go into the specifics needed by some and I'm now using this chance to clarify that I was simply referring to the Ruck side of his game.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Hang on ... someone posts he's not going to make it as a ruckman when he's not a ruckman at all.

Maybe some ruck relief here and there, but he doesn't have to make it as a ruck man
I've over reacted Peter and I apologise.
I do however hold hope in his pedigree. X factor second ruck flying around the ground is nice to think of . Maybe he is JJ insurance.

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Phil wants players with hardness and he sees that in Dear. Doubt he sees it in Jenkins.

Back