Society & Culture Disgraceful behaviour of parents at kids sporting games

Remove this Banner Ad

My junior cricket team was like that.

We had two batsmen in the crease who were set. One of the blokes could drive so went down to KFC to bring back to the ground.

So the two poor bastards were batting whilst the rest of the team sat around eating fried chicken.
It's a pity your team lacked a batsman who could cut and pull.

Used to ref Soccer u/16's and below and I will never forget this example of Ugly parent syndrome.

It was half time of a game and one of the team's forward was getting tackled tough but fair, as I've blown for half time, this forwards mum steams on to the field and gives me both barrels.

"Why aren't you giving my son freekicks, hes injured, got a dodgy calf"
I politely advised her that if hes injured he shouldn't play, but once he's on the field he's 100% fit.

Long story short she ended up complaining to the association about me, and was told in no uncertain terms to bugger off.

parents at the younger age brackets haven't been banned yet. The older age brackets have sorted out the filth.

Anyone started sledging parents in the crowd while playing juniors?

I found I was involved a bit in basketball due to the close proximity of the 'fans'.

One mother started yelling at me for setting screens 'stop doing that #34'...'you thug' etc etc. Sorry lady, excuse me while I stand stil and your son runs into me. May have told her to cook her son some chicken because he's getting abused until he stops resembling a pre-pubesent girl....

Had a bunch of Italian moms getting strangely vocal during one close game, so I thought I'd dedicate some buckets for you. 'This next ones for you maria', 'If I score on your son this play he doesn't love you' and 'my mums lasagna is better than yours'.....they were the oddest group of vile supporters I'd seen. Looked like pretty quiet 40 year old itialian mums...but the things that came out of their mouths were more vile than what went in (marios wang)/

Strange having parents directly address players. I don't think it's on, I was more than happy to get into it, but I won't be doing it if I'm a parent.
Yup! I was in year 11, only playing 2nd 18 footy as I am not the best player going around... Anyway, the ball clearly went through for a behind, and everyone saw that but the local goal ump (parent of someone from Trinity, the team we were playing at their home ground), who tried calling it a goal and recorded it like that on his little card. So, I called him on it (would have been a 40-50 fat middle aged guy), and told him to 'f**k off', at which point he sent some words my way, but the goal was rewarded so I let it go and ran back to my position. Felt good though.;)

I admit to being a bit naughty as Auskick yesterday. The kids are supposed to take 2 steps then have a kick or handball. My boy took 9 steps to get closer to goal and I let it go. It sailed through !!!!! ;). It is only, the second week for the pre primary kids though and I was lax with the other kids too. Poor kids. Some of them can only kick it 1 foot. Some kicks go back over their heads !!!

I admit to being a bit naughty as Auskick yesterday. The kids are supposed to take 2 steps then have a kick or handball. My boy took 9 steps to get closer to goal and I let it go. It sailed through !!!!! ;). It is only, the second week for the pre primary kids though and I was lax with the other kids too. Poor kids. Some of them can only kick it 1 foot. Some kicks go back over their heads !!!
Disgrace!

Little different but my son umpires district level basketball(when not playing) he has the perfect weapon for abusive parents / coaches the tech foul, opposition get 2 shots regain possession other team have a team foul recorded against them belligerent supporter gets cold stares and is taken care of by the club.

Little different but my son umpires district level basketball(when not playing) he has the perfect weapon for abusive parents / coaches the tech foul, opposition get 2 shots regain possession other team have a team foul recorded against them belligerent supporter gets cold stares and is taken care of by the club.

I remember Junior Footy Umpires used to pull the 50 m penalty against the crowd trick.

Fixes the issue fairly quickly (although it takes the occasional bunch of feral geniuses 4-5 50 m penalties to get the message).

Actually won an under 13 premiership out of it!

This is not a new phenomenon

I recall getting dads getting into slanging matches at my primary school footy in the mid-1960s

Very true and very sad.

I tend to think most of these pathetic types are re-directing their frustrations at whatever is wrong in their lives.

Having said that, the guy I had the above exchange with just seemed genuinely unhinged. His words and subsequent over the top reactions were too disproportionate to deduce otherwise.
And you just know he's going to take that anger ( wherever it's coming from) and unleash it on his kids and wife. Piece of s**t. You're a better man than me. I would have decked him then and there without a word.

A mate and I co-coach an under 15s team at the moment, and when we aren't coaching,we either run messages or water.

I always offer water to our boys and the other team when they are there, especially as there are often kids running water so some players rarely see any during the game.

One game there was a father from the opposition screaming at his teams young water boy for giving one of our guys some water. Telling him not to "waste water on those assholes"

The same team also had a bogan dad doing the boundary. I was on the ground and saw one of our boys with his foot at worst on the line for the bounce and he blew the whistle and called him for breaking. Not once, but twice, and the second time our wing was well and truly behind the line.

In all my years of junior footy I've only ever seen the boundary umpires give them a warning and explain that it can be a free kick, but this was blatantly trying to get an advantage.

Both frees resulted in a goal to them, and we lost by four points, playing with 16 against 22 for the while game.

One of our boys dads went and asked them if they were proud of the win. Got a bit heated but I'm glad he said something.

I used to ref senior inline hockey when I wasn't playing u/16's and was drawn to ref my Dad's team one day. At one point he tripped someone so I correctly assessed him a tripping penalty and some time in the box and which point he unloaded about how it wasn't a penalty and I shouldn't call s**t like that.

This is when I also gave him an unsportsmanlike penalty and even longer in the box

Fun drive home that day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to ref senior inline hockey when I wasn't playing u/16's and was drawn to ref my Dad's team one day. At one point he tripped someone so I correctly assessed him a tripping penalty and some time in the box and which point he unloaded about how it wasn't a penalty and I shouldn't call s**t like that.

This is when I also gave him an unsportsmanlike penalty and even longer in the box

Fun drive home that day

That is fantastic

That is fantastic

I should point out that he was always great in junior sports getting up early for cricket and sticking around helping umpire etc and i'm pretty sure he watched almost every junior hockey game I played.

Completely out of the ordinary, but none the less still funny in hindsight

I had been involved in our local footy club for 8 years, 4 as assistant and 4 as coach. Keep in mind that I started all of this when i was 18/19 years old at Auskick level and i have no child of my own.

6 out of the 8 years were fantastic from a parent point of view, all were very supportive, offered encouragement, always offered to help at training, game day the works. was brilliant.

the last two years were a slightly different story. getting into the older age groups is always a tough gig as expectations are higher and there is obviously more on the line so to speak.

For the best part most of the parents were pretty good. There was a minority however, who were just relentless in the constant yelling out during games not only at their own kids, but at other kids in our team as well. They never yelled abuse or swore (that i can remember) but they were always being ultra negative "cmon timmy that was pathetic you can do better than that", "why don't you handball it off next time cause you're a bad kick" etc.

Used to drive me nuts, but given how much i was concentrating on the game i kind of missed a lot of it. They always made a very obvious habit of talking up their kids as if they could do no wrong, which was a load of crap. decent players but had a very bad habit of giving away stupid free kicks for off the ball stuff which drove me nuts.

so anytime it happened i would drag them (was a team rule) and then I would cop the 3rd degree as the parents walk over to the bench questioning why i had taken them off the ground, then the parents would try defend the players by playing down what they had done off the ball.

absolute nightmare.

Anyway, fast forward a season and we were playing a year out of our age group (for reasons we couldnt control) but we were playing some awesome football (ended up winning the grand final!). this one particular game we were winning by around 120 points, now just to set the scene a little bit i have a pretty good relationship with that particular opposition club and their team was getting belted each week and this unfortunately lead to very low numbers turning up to games. they turned up with 15 players and the kids who turned up just looked flat cause they had to forefit.

I decided to put it to the boys and we had a few put their hand up to go over and play for the other team to make sure they all got to play a game, and to be honest it was played in brilliant spirit.

we the game finishes and we ended up winning by a heap. After the game i get bailed up by a furious parent who went off at me for leaving his kid on the back flank for 2 quarters. i was gobsmacked. i was being sworn at, yelled at the works. threatened to take his kids from the club if i'm coaching next year etc. just pathetic.

so i brushed that all off and got in the car to go home. my fiance gets in (who was my team manager) and she looks a bit upset. i asked her what was wrong and the same parent had a crack at her as well after she asked if he could do one of the vote slips for the game. just totally uncalled for.

anyway, it was at that point i decided that no matter what, I'm not coaching next year. i have no kids at the club and don't need to put up with that crap on a weekly basis (we still had 4-5 games to go plus finals at this stage)

then the rumours start.. that I'm a crap coach, im this that and the other, just childish rubbish. my revenge? Winning the grand final was my revenge. and to make it better after we won my 76 year old grandma ran over to the said parents and gave them the 'he isnt so crap now is he?!" and told them how pathetic they are :D gotta love grandmas.

moral of the story is, coaching is a unpaid role. go and support your kids, support the team and enjoy yourself. don't give people a hard time about coaching or umpiring etc unless you're prepared to step up and do it yourself and then you can see how hard it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back