Diving

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if he still feels the same, 6 years later.
Did you notice that Wakelin admitted to it, jimmy B could learn something from that.

Wakelin admitted he wasn't touched, Bartel was pushed to such an extent Suckling (or whoever) fell to the ground backwards from his hip n shoulder.

But let's not get sidetracked from the thread, Matthews says Diving is OK.

Wakelin admitted he wasn't touched, Bartel was pushed to such an extent Suckling (or whoever) fell to the ground backwards from his hip n shoulder.

Lol.

I have a lot of respect for Matthews, but disagree with him on this, the article was 6 years ago, I wonder if he still feels the same.

Lol.

I have a lot of respect for Matthews, but disagree with him on this, the article was 6 years ago, I wonder if he still feels the same.

People don't generally backflip on fundamental beliefs, if he was to publicly backflip now it would be purely to escape ridicule for his belief that divings fine.

People don't generally backflip on fundamental beliefs, if he was to publicly backflip now it would be purely to escape ridicule for his belief that divings fine.
Backflip or change of mind after seeing it become a little too common, he is right though, players have been doing it forever, it just seems to be getting a bit to theatrical, I mean, after watching Jimmy B I had to replay it to see where the cannon was that he was shot from.

Mate, come on now.

Matthew Suckling with full force wouldn't knock over a 6 year old schoolgirl.

Bartel dived and it was there for all the world to see.

Is diving preferable to ducking or buckling the knees? Diving is usually more obvious but I suspect ducking is more profitable. Naturally there's a lot of crossover and overlap here.

Preferable? dunno really what the question is but Leigh may be able to answer that for you.

"If you can milk a free kick then I think you do milk a free kick," Matthews said. "I'm certainly not going to be a moral arbitrator that you shouldn't milk free kicks.
"There's no rules against trying to milk a free kick provided it doesn't put you out of the next phase of play."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Facts are he said it. Hell, he wrote a whole article about it so there's no point putting words in his mouth. Untill he publicly revokes this article we can't claim he didn't mean what he said. And given his history of playing for frees himself I doubt he could deny the article with a straight face.

Now I get it. Leigh used to play for Hawthorn. It's going to be one of those threads.
Nah, he's just looking for a way to make Jimmy B's dive acceptable.
Funny thing is, if he had said, yep, I milked the s**t out of that and am a little embarrassed about it, you wouldn't be hearing about it now.

It's not the worst thing on earth. The main reason we are so anti-diving is we don't want to be seen in the same bucket as the soccer-sooks that carry on like pork chops. There's a sort of "sissiness" to the act, but realistically it affects 1, maybe 2 decisions tops per week? Bigger fish to fry. Stuff the fine, just pay a coupla free kicks against the divers next year, and watch it become a complete non-event. Would be interested to see if the serial divers like Thomas, Goodes and Goddard could immediately change their ways though.

Backflip or change of mind after seeing it become a little too common, he is right though, players have been doing it forever, it just seems to be getting a bit to theatrical, I mean, after watching Jimmy B I had to replay it to see where the cannon was that he was shot from.
he might of exageratted contacted but no one has suggested that he left the ground due to the contact, he was jumping for a contested mark. Unlike Thomas who got contact and then jumped

It's not the worst thing on earth. The main reason we are so anti-diving is we don't want to be seen in the same bucket as the soccer-sooks that carry on like pork chops. There's a sort of "sissiness" to the act, but realistically it affects 1, maybe 2 decisions tops per week? Bigger fish to fry. Stuff the fine, just pay a coupla free kicks against the divers next year, and watch it become a complete non-event. Would be interested to see if the serial divers like Thomas, Goodes and Goddard could immediately change their ways though.
The third umpire should get involved and pay the free kick against, Waite, Lewis, Bartel and the others should all have a free kick paid against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back