PC Divinity: Original Sin

Remove this Banner Ad

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
About 60 hours in still a lot to go. In my opinion the best cRPG since Neverwinter Nights 2. Instant classic and hopefully ushers in a new wave of isometric RPG's for the PC.

Anyone else playing this?

• Banned
Been keen but wanted to wait for some reviews and opinions. Nothing but good news so far by the sounds of it :D I really miss the Black Isle era of RPGs and hope so much something can come along and match them.

Absolutely matches any of the classics thus far. Feels like a successor to the isometric Ultima games!

Absolutely matches any of the classics thus far. Feels like a successor to the isometric Ultima games!

Sold. It's on my wishlist. I will definitely try to crowbar it into my schedule shortly. Just the mention of Ultima... them feels. And then I don't even know where to begin working out the time I spent on UO.

Watched a couple of videos but it seems like a very generic fantasy story to me. To start playing longform RPGs I need a story that is at least somewhat compelling.

From what I read you can sink a lot of time into the side quests. Unlike many RPGs where the main story that the world is bound for impending and insists on some sort of urgency, in Divinity you can become fully engrossed in the side quests and learn of their individual stories rather than just "go kill 10 kobolds pls."

im playing this at the moment, Steam Id is Wentalmagic if you want to add me. Only really play this when i get sick of DOta 2, which is very rarely.

Just about to start playing Divinity now.

Im an avid dota 2 player but understand! There comes times where you get sick of pub games when you are solo queuing hah, so im hoping this game fills the void

oni_au is my steam id

My biggest problem with these type of RPGs with so many options is that i can never decide on my class , will then play 4 hours in and re-roll. Liking the idea you can make two characters however

Any tips for when i start? Have just got it today

Talk to everyone, absolutely everyone. Steal paintings $$. Dont be turned off by the slow pace of the first couple hours, like those YouTube videos say... it gets better. One very important thing that doesn't get said enough, have 1 character with high leadership, preferably a non-melee class. It makes a huge difference to you melee team members.

Excuse the double post, but for those who have it, how is the performance? Is it demanding on your PC? Does it run well?

It's not too demanding. I have a PC that's probably on the low end of Beastmode and I don't drop below 60fps on basically full settings.

-i7 3770k
-GTX 770
-16gb RAM

I'd assume you definitely don't need that to pull out the constant 60fps. It's not too demanding of a game, from what I can tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lack of discussion on this thread is kind of astounding... This is a 'gamers game'. So glad stuff like this still gets made.

It's not too demanding. I have a PC that's probably on the low end of Beastmode and I don't drop below 60fps on basically full settings.

-i7 3770k
-GTX 770
-16gb RAM

I'd assume you definitely don't need that to pull out the constant 60fps. It's not too demanding of a game, from what I can tell.

That PC sounds nice. I have an i5 and a HD7850oc and even with only 32bit limiting RAM with 4gb I can still play most new games on high. The main concern I had was with the forums on Steam; countless, and I mean countless complaints about the game crashing non stop when saving and other bugs, not just on 32bit machines (which I'm stuck with) but also 64bit machines, and some of these PCs specs were beast. I was so close to clicking buy but now i might just wait until there's a fix. I'm keen, but not willing to hurt my system over it.

Instead I bought Rise of Nations Extended Edition, and I'm so re-addicted.

That PC sounds nice. I have an i5 and a HD7850oc and even with only 32bit limiting RAM with 4gb I can still play most new games on high. The main concern I had was with the forums on Steam; countless, and I mean countless complaints about the game crashing non stop when saving and other bugs, not just on 32bit machines (which I'm stuck with) but also 64bit machines, and some of these PCs specs were beast. I was so close to clicking buy but now i might just wait until there's a fix. I'm keen, but not willing to hurt my system over it.

Instead I bought Rise of Nations Extended Edition, and I'm so re-addicted.

Haven't heard any of that mate. Know about 10 people in person playing it. None have any issues.

it's all over the Divinity Steam forums.

Fair enough, I don't trust internet anonymity too much... according to forums, my copy of New Vegas on PS3 should have been completely unplayable and it should have froze every 2 seconds, and every quest should have been bugged... yet none of that happened haha. I'm more of a buy before I try kinda guy... didn't mean that to rhyme so much!

Fair enough, I don't trust internet anonymity too much... according to forums, my copy of New Vegas on PS3 should have been completely unplayable and it should have froze every 2 seconds, and every quest should have been bugged... yet none of that happened haha. I'm more of a buy before I try kinda guy... didn't mean that to rhyme so much!

Are you on a 64bit machine? Most of the complaints were 32bit machines. Anyhow, might still buy it, still very keen on it.

I actually put off getting New Vegas for so long on the PS3 bcause of all the bad press, although eventually gave in but got it on PC with all the add ons and DLC. Filthy I left it so long cos it's such a great game.

I've finished the game recently.

Very good game, had a lot of fun with it. What I enjoyed the most was the combat, if you're playing on hard and don't fully grasp how the game mechanics work, it is definitely challenging. My only complaint is that the game gets a little too easy in the end. Probably because 2H fighters are OP as hell (I played two lone wolf characters, a 2H fighter and a mage).

I've had this on my radar for some time. I've spent 6 hours or so playing around with the Wasteland 2 beta the last couple of days. Really liking it, but I think I should stop and wait for the full release now. But it has whet my appetite for this kind of game. I keep hearing good things about D:OS, might have to pick it up after work. So many games on the horizon, Risen 3, Civ: BE, Pillars of Eternity, and DA Inquisition even looks like it might be good.

I've had this on my radar for some time. I've spent 6 hours or so playing around with the Wasteland 2 beta the last couple of days. Really liking it, but I think I should stop and wait for the full release now. But it has whet my appetite for this kind of game. I keep hearing good things about D:OS, might have to pick it up after work. So many games on the horizon, Risen 3, Civ: BE, Pillars of Eternity, and DA Inquisition even looks like it might be good.

Your taste is just sensational. I thought I was the only person in the southern hemisphere who plays Risen haha!

I bought it last night before going to bed and fired it up this morning* when I got up. I've played with it for a couple of hours, enough to know that I'm going to like it a lot and that I'm probably going to restart it a few times while I figure it out.

*afternoon

Bit of a thread bump, have been following this game since last year but I pledged myself out of this for a while with money going to other games.

Picked it up late last month and have been hooked since I got it. Fantastic game. There have been decent turn based RPGs/strategy games in recent memory (Expeditions: Conquistadors, Shadowrun Returns, etc) but this is a classic.

You can see the inspiration from other games (Ultima, Baldur's Gate, etc) but it's come to me that Divinity: Original Sin is a polished Arcanum.

Not to say it's better, Arcanum has very noticeable flaws but also elements that are exceptional. I just find plenty of similiarities between the two and OS comes out on top more often than not. Especially when it comes to gameplay and combat.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back