Dizzy says: Scrap T20 internationals; trial 4-day Tests

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting article by Jason Gillespie that I read this morning. He (and I'm sure plenty of others) believe that there is too much cricket being played year-round and that devalues many matches/series to the point where nations won't put out their best XI, to save them for more important fixtures. Ultimately this comes at a disadvantage to the fan.

Dizzy suggests that T20I's should be scrapped and that the format becomes the exclusive domain of domestic cricket. I'm not really a fan of T20 at all, so I wouldn't mind this change at all.

His next suggestion is a bit more 'out there' and I don't really agree. Dizzy wants to increase the amount of overs and hours played on each day of a Test to squeeze it in over four days, rather than stretching it out over five.

The article is here: http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/11/24/dizzy-scrap-t20-internationals-and-trial-four-day-tests/

What are your thoughts?

Interesting article by Jason Gillespie that I read this morning. He (and I'm sure plenty of others) believe that there is too much cricket being played year-round and that devalues many matches/series to the point where nations won't put out their best XI, to save them for more important fixtures. Ultimately this comes at a disadvantage to the fan.

Dizzy suggests that T20I's should be scrapped and that the format becomes the exclusive domain of domestic cricket. I'm not really a fan of T20 at all, so I wouldn't mind this change at all.

His next suggestion is a bit more 'out there' and I don't really agree. Dizzy wants to increase the amount of overs and hours played on each day of a Test to squeeze it in over four days, rather than stretching it out over five.

The article is here: http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/11/24/dizzy-scrap-t20-internationals-and-trial-four-day-tests/

What are your thoughts?

Love the T20 idea. The IPL and now the Big Bash are thriving, and even though I'm not a big T20 fan I take a bit of interest in them - much more so than T20Is which just seem to have a vibe of utter meaninglessness about them. There would be less cricket on the calendar which is good for reducing over cluttered fixtures, and there would be greater interest in domestic cricket. Would be a great solution, unfortunately it will never happen.

What are your thoughts?

I agree with most of dizzies comments. T20 is a kiddies sport and should only be played at lower levels of cricket. I would also like to see the Tippie Go rule should be added to T20.

In regards to test, 90 overs a day is reasonable and even 100 would be possible. However, I prefer results than draws so 5 days should remain until the 90/ 100 over change is assessed. This should see the rise of the importance of the all rounder.

Last edited:

don't mind the T20 idea

4 day tests i think could be too short. could reintroduce the 8 ball over however if the 4 day idea got up, would combat the time lost, but would mean more workload for each bowler

Good ideas. The T20 one especially. But with teams absolutely unwilling/unable to get through 90 overs on time I can't see them getting through more.

Play T20I's about as much as they were played prior to the 2007 T20WC. Nothing wrong with the format if it's managed properly.

I actually think we are managing it properly in that we're treating it as an exhibition, which is all it really should be.

India in particular I feel is responsible for a lot of the saturation of the one day game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T20I shold be restricted to the world T20 we have every two years.

This.

Im all for T20I being kept strictly for the World Cup every two years, its critical to keep Tests and ODIs fresh and exciting.

Its become to easy to represent your country in cricket with T20.

Agree about international T20s. Still think ODIs could be wound down on top of that too to build them up more. Far as 4 day tests would be a good idea if teams were interested in bowling 90 overs a day and authorities interested in punishing them when it doesn't happen.

I agree with most of dizzies comments. T20 is a kiddies sport and should only be played at lower levels of cricket. I would also like to see the Tippie Go rule should be added to T20.

In regards to test, 90 overs a day is reasonable and even 100 would be possible. However, I prefer results than draws so 5 days should remain until the 90/ 100 over change is assessed. This should see the rise of the importance of the all rounder.
Why not add "caught in the crowd and your out" in domestic T20? It sure would add some spice to the game? You want crowd involvement, you got it right there. I remember people calling the one day game "hit & giggle" or a game for kiddies, maybe T20 is a bit like that, but it sure has been popular for TV audiences and attendances, as insane as some ideas might sound, the T20 format allows you to actually think outside the square and all possibilities should not be overlooked. T20 is essentially a game made for TV.

Why not add "caught in the crowd and your out" in domestic T20? It sure would add some spice to the game? You want crowd involvement, you got it right there. I remember people calling the one day game "hit & giggle" or a game for kiddies, maybe T20 is a bit like that, but it sure has been popular for TV audiences and attendances, as insane as some ideas might sound, the T20 format allows you to actually think outside the square and all possibilities should not be overlooked. T20 is essentially a game made for TV.

and make streaking and pitch invasions legal between overs

Much to our chagrin. The format is just a money spinner and that's that

I don't get the hate. It's a money spinner because it is popular. Sure it might not be popular with the purists, but of all the things CA has to offer to the general public T20 cricket is the one that people get behind.

IMO it makes no sense for cricketers at one level (domestic) to be playing 40 over matches while cricketers at the next level (international) play 100 over matches. I just wish they'd lay off the gimmicks and just let it be a shortened version of ODI cricket. We don't need flares to set Aaron Finch on fire or dancing girls or the boundary rope to be 25m from the fence. Just leave to a quickfire contest between bat and ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back