Do Fitzroy deserve a VFL team

Do Fitzroy deserve a VFL team

• Yes

Votes: 88 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see the VFL competition go back to its original name of VFA, and maybe move its matches to Sunday and the AFL Victorian sides run a reserves comp amongst themselves called the VFL. I could see Fitzroy one day joining the VFA to compete against the likes of Port Melbourne and Williamstown for example. Fitzroy are building once again (VAFA D-Grade to B-Grade in five years and possibly A-Grade next year) but its going to take a while to build up the BSO facilities and generate enough funds to maintain their position.
If the club can maintain a good stream of players from the local YJFL and Government schools ( Northcote , Fitzroy etc ) - and attract those who have had VFL experience already - there is enough walk-up talent to provide locals with a fantastic footy experience. And keep the coach !

Buddying up with Coburg again may be unfeasible seeing as they're having money problems of their own, Brisbane have their NEAFL team so that's out of the question and even if they managed to break into the VFL in their own right, they'd have to go with "Reds" as their name because Coburg has taken that moniker back after splitting with Richmond.

Would love to see it happen though.

Buddying up with Coburg again may be unfeasible seeing as they're having money problems of their own, Brisbane have their NEAFL team so that's out of the question and even if they managed to break into the VFL in their own right, they'd have to go with "Reds" as their name because Coburg has taken that moniker back after splitting with Richmond.

Not necessarily. When Richmond and Coburg were aligned, both they and Werribee were the Tigers, and this continues with Richmond. It's not ideal to have two teams with the same nickname, but it has been that way since the VCFL and VFL merged in 2000.

they'd have to go with "Reds" as their name because Coburg has taken that moniker back after splitting with Richmond.

"Maroons" was Fitzroy original nickname so they could use that. Could also be known just as the "Roys".

They could even be the "Gorillas". Let's hope they wouldn't use that one though.

VFL don't have any rules against same names

Coburg and werribee both had the "tigers" nickname for a while there, and now Richmond and werribee do

Fitzroy should have their own VFL side, but they need big financial backing, just as port do, as the league itself is near broke

But we'd be able to sell beer at games and not lose all that money to those on the grass with their eskys
You forget the offsets to that income such as vomit remover and telco bills for all the calls to the cops!

Fitzroy as a VFA Team :
Ground - Brunswick Street Oval is inhibited by various failures to meet standards. You can't charge entry there as there it is not an enclosed area. The Fitzroy City Council have long been unsupportive of the footy club's desires at the BSO (Fitzroy Reds and later Fitzroy FC) though I'm out of the loop and that may have changed.
Finances - Costs a lot more to play in the VFL than in the VAFA. Currently its unaffordable for the Fitzroy FC, and if Brisbane somehow were looking at it, I think they'd consider it a bad deal.

Fitzroy seems to feel pretty comfortable in the VAFA right now. They've climbed to B Grade (the player base progression is predominantly linked to the Fitzroy Reds who were in D3 Grade just over 15 years ago. That's four grades of improvement with one to go. Many might feel that VAFA A Grade is the highest level they want, and a flag in A Grade the highest achievement the club needs pursue.
Many fans would love to see Fitzroy back in the AFL. A lot feel a VFL slot would be awesome enough. A number are totally happy with the VAFA. There is a lot to be said for the atmosphere at BSO matches these days (though personally I've never seen Fitzroy there, only the Reds).

One thing that disappointed me was the fading of the rumours that surfaced some years ago about a new Metropolitan l33t club league forming, The rumour touched upon leading successful clubs from the suburban leagues (none of which are central) breaking away from their own competitions and starting a new league ... which would vie for premier status at state level with the VFL (and VAFA A Grade).

That might have been something a few of us old fans could have sunk their teeth into.

You forget the offsets to that income such as vomit remover and telco bills for all the calls to the cops!

Fitzroy as a VFA Team :
Ground - Brunswick Street Oval is inhibited by various failures to meet standards. You can't charge entry there as there it is not an enclosed area. The Fitzroy City Council have long been unsupportive of the footy club's desires at the BSO (Fitzroy Reds and later Fitzroy FC) though I'm out of the loop and that may have changed.
Finances - Costs a lot more to play in the VFL than in the VAFA. Currently its unaffordable for the Fitzroy FC, and if Brisbane somehow were looking at it, I think they'd consider it a bad deal.

Fitzroy seems to feel pretty comfortable in the VAFA right now. They've climbed to B Grade (the player base progression is predominantly linked to the Fitzroy Reds who were in D3 Grade just over 15 years ago. That's four grades of improvement with one to go. Many might feel that VAFA A Grade is the highest level they want, and a flag in A Grade the highest achievement the club needs pursue.
Many fans would love to see Fitzroy back in the AFL. A lot feel a VFL slot would be awesome enough. A number are totally happy with the VAFA. There is a lot to be said for the atmosphere at BSO matches these days (though personally I've never seen Fitzroy there, only the Reds).

One thing that disappointed me was the fading of the rumours that surfaced some years ago about a new Metropolitan l33t club league forming, The rumour touched upon leading successful clubs from the suburban leagues (none of which are central) breaking away from their own competitions and starting a new league ... which would vie for premier status at state level with the VFL (and VAFA A Grade).

That might have been something a few of us old fans could have sunk their teeth into.
The council covers those bills when there are impromptu dance parties in Edinburgh gardens anyway. That and blame it in the bowls club next door.

Not unless a miracle occurs and the AFL decides to push for and (at least for the first few years) fund a Fitzroy VFL side.

So the chances aren't great to say the least.

I would have thought any possible move to the VFL would be in at least 10 years time, that's if it ever happens at all( which I'm doubtful of). It would be nice to have Fitzroy running around in the VFL, but financially and logistically they're a long way off.
If I win the $70m on Thursday I will buyout the Bendigo licence. Port operate off a budget of about $600k so would be easy to run each year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I win the $70m on Thursday I will buyout the Bendigo licence. Port operate off a budget of about $600k so would be easy to run each year.

$70 million to gain entry to the LOLFL,,,,,,,,,,,, what a bargain.

Stay where you are Lions, the VAFA Premier League is of a higher standard.

Didn't say it would cost $70m, more like $1m for first season.

Problem with VAFA no alcohol and I can't agree to that.

Still a million is pretty steep for a league that has ripped itself apart over the past few decades.

I'd like to see the Roys build itself as it has been and push for either the EFL, NFL, or EDFL or even contact the SANFL............. wouldn't that get up the skirts of a few people.

Still a million is pretty steep for a league that has ripped itself apart over the past few decades.

I'd like to see the Roys build itself as it has been and push for either the EFL, NFL, or EDFL or even contact the SANFL............. wouldn't that get up the skirts of a few people.
NFL did contact Fitzroy about there intentions but the Roys chose to stay in Amos (don't know if EFL or EDFL contacted them)

NFL did contact Fitzroy about there intentions but the Roys chose to stay in Amos (don't know if EFL or EDFL contacted them)

Seems strange that they've been left in the wilderness for so long.

I can imagine all of the money to be made from them being in a suburban league due to exposure.

Seems strange that they've been left in the wilderness for so long.

I can imagine all of the money to be made from them being in a suburban league due to exposure.
Not just that, but they have a large untapped supporter base. Most suburban clubs will be happy to get a hundred to a match, Fitzroy get more than that and can't sell beer. Allow them a bar and the crowd will increase as to the revenue.

Not just that, but they have a large untapped supporter base. Most suburban clubs will be happy to get a hundred to a match, Fitzroy get more than that and can't sell beer. Allow them a bar and the crowd will increase as to the revenue.

Maybe leading up to a move?

Yes they were once apart of the VFL/AFL.

Also I think University deserve a football team in the VFL too. They've been out of it for more than a century.

Yes they were once apart of the VFL/AFL.

Also I think University deserve a football team in the VFL too. They've been out of it for more than a century.

I suppose you think Melbourne deserves a side as well?

Uni don't.

I suppose you think Melbourne deserves a side as well?

Uni don't.
I personally hope to see Melbourne get a stand-alone side. Clubs like Geelong and even Collingwood (with the exception of this year) do so much better with stand-alone sides because they have so much more control over the development of their fringe players. Hence when someone like a Jimmy Bartel gets injured a Billie Smedts can step in knowing his role in the midfield.

I would much rather the AFL fund us a stand-alone team than give us a priority pick which we will most likely mess up anyway.

University certainly don't deserve one, but I want to see one in there to try and emulate footy of the old Austro-Hungarian, Russian and Ottoman empire days ha ha.

Back