Do the Liberals have any good policies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Much is written and spoken about , of the legacy of past treasurers Howard, Keating and Costello.

Why no mention of Swan?
By legacy I assuem you mean 'positive legacy'? Also do you mean Hawke? He wasn't treasurer, of course, but Howard is regarded by most to have been a poor treasurer. Which, incidentally, is why it's galling for Howard to say he voted with Hawke's and Keating's later changes as if their reforms were obvious or didn't require enormous skill, intelligence, negotiation and expenditure of political capital. I know people say Costello did OK with ATSIC regulations, but I'm unsure that he is really regarded as a great Treasurer. The GST took a lot of bedding in to remove the overbearing bureaucracy of it. Perhaps that's why you mention Howard - because he and Costello brought in the GST? As for your question regarding Swan, I think the stimulus approach to the GFC is correctly lauded, but as with most treasurers who aren't in the position for a long time he won't stand out, and the way he was screwed over by the Mining companies doesn't reflect well.
"There will be no carbon tax in any government I lead"
It appears you have to embellish the truth to make a point as well. Gillard never said that, and the fact you and other rightwingers repeatedly and deliberately misquote her suggests you know that the full and accurately transcribed statement Gillard made undercuts your whole "liar" rhetoric.

Last edited:

The carbon tax is a self inflicted economic own goal. Plus it is still in place hurting employment and sending electricity prices through the roof because Electricity Bill and the Greens refuse to accept the result of the last election.

Yep but the devil's in the detail- did you notice things like the guy mentioning how badly the carbon tax had impacted on his business, but he did acknowledge he's added to his workforce and employed a couple more people since it came in? Hmm. Name the last time electricity bills went down-a rose by any other name I'd say.

They said quite clearly before the election that they'd review the target in 2014. Just because you don't like the policy doesn't make it a broken promise.
If you go back to the first page you will see that this thread started pre-election, and they were committed to the 5% target by 2020 that Labor was committed to as well. Perhaps they were going to 'review' the best way to achieve that target? Here's a quote 4 days before the election from Tony Abbott (you know, the PM) himself:
''So there is enormous potential there, but the bottom line is we will spend as much as we have budgeted, no more and no less. We will get as much environmental improvement, as much emissions reduction, as we can for the spending that we've budgeted. We are very confident that we will achieve the 5 per cent target that we've set ourselves.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/carbon-target-may-be-missed-abbott-20130902-2t16g.html#ixzz2tdfZcCT7

If you go back to the first page you will see that this thread started pre-election, and they were committed to the 5% target by 2020 that Labor was committed to as well. Perhaps they were going to 'review' the best way to achieve that target? Here's a quote 4 days before the election from Tony Abbott (you know, the PM) himself:

Eh? The target under review is the 20% Renewable Energy Target, which they clearly said they would review and is due for a review by 2015 in any case. If they revisit the 5% target reduction in emissions, then it qualifies as a broken promise, but not before.

Eh? The target under review is the 20% Renewable Energy Target, which they clearly said they would review and is due for a review by 2015 in any case. If they revisit the 5% target reduction in emissions, then it qualifies as a broken promise, but not before.
Ah. Gotcha. I thought because they'd put a Climate Change skeptic in that they must've been questioning the validity of the overall target. He seems an odd choice. He isn't particularly knowledgable about the electricity industry and the Coalition cabinet rejected his advice on SPC Ardmona (incidentally the other two people they asked for and rejected advice on SPC do work in the energy sector - it all seems a bit insular)...

I also saw Abbott was saying that renewables aren't realistic of base load power, but surely a 20% target is quite obviously not suggesting renewables will be base load (there is another 80% after all)?

Yep but the devil's in the detail- did you notice things like the guy mentioning how badly the carbon tax had impacted on his business, but he did acknowledge he's added to his workforce and employed a couple more people since it came in? Hmm. Name the last time electricity bills went down-a rose by any other name I'd say.

The devil is in the $7 or so billion dollars of tax revenue ripped from businesses and given out as welfare.

The carbon tax is a self inflicted economic own goal. Plus it is still in place hurting employment and sending electricity priced through the roof because Electricity Bill and the Greens refuse to accept the result of the last election.

You will get your wish on 1st July and according to you I am going to see huge savings in my power and gas. There will be no more more unemployment so things should be all well. Please come back then and I will tell you how much discount I get.

Are you referring to NDIS and Educational reforms?
Could be PPL and the "Direct Action Plan" but I believe their combined figures exceed $7bn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to the Libs booklet, "The Plan". You know the one where one of their candidates was unable to tell you what was in it?

Has anyone seen a copy? How is that going?

This one:

https://www.liberal.org.au/our-plan

"The Coalition’s priority will be to build a stronger, more productive and diverse economy through lower taxes, more efficient government and more productive businesses that will deliver more jobs, higher wages and better services for all Australians.

Within five years I am confident that our economy can deliver at least one million new jobs; and two million new jobs within the next decade.

This is the Australia that we believe in."

The Hon. Tony Abbott MP

I generally do believe in cutting regulations, but with the recent Qantas and car industry discussions, it does seem like a "free-trade" global economy could end up with countries fighting each other with subsidies in order to remain competitive.

Obviously that won't happen in a major way for a long while yet, but logically if geological factors aren't relevant, then competition for these jobs is just going to get fiercer as more countries develop. I don't think there will be enough 'smart' jobs to offset a relative loss of earning potential, but with the exception of finite resources (electricity; our current limited approach to housing supply) life does seem cheaper to make up for it.

Geez that's bad news. I thought the uptick in Consumer Confidence after the election was meant to mean an uptick in investment?

You will get your wish on 1st July and according to you I am going to see huge savings in my power and gas. There will be no more more unemployment so things should be all well. Please come back then and I will tell you how much discount I get.
Electricity and Power will magically start to be run by the public instead of private companies if we get rid of the Carbon Tax, people really are stupid if they think the Carbon Tax is the root of all evil.

It was mentioned on Barry Cassidy's 774 segment that the ALP will wait for the budget reply this year before revealing the raft of their policy ideas. As Bishop, Turnbull, Morrison, etc. circle the leadership positions, the upcoming Budget will be the last chance for the current Coalition team to come up with some good policies.

As per this thread and their last budget, their track record is shocking. Does anyone think they can pull it off?

As per this thread and their last budget, their track record is shocking. Does anyone think they can pull it off?
They have completely changed rhetoric so the upcoming budget seems set to increase spending even further (they're already out-spending labor) with a larger deficit to focus on employment measures.

Not with Abbott as leader. He could deliver the best budget in the world and it would still be torched, he's lost the support of most Australians and his own party. Bishop or Turnbull would potentially be a different story.

Not with Abbott as leader. He could deliver the best budget in the world and it would still be torched, he's lost the support of most Australians and his own party. Bishop or Turnbull would potentially be a different story.

Well Abbott is trying to retrace some of his footsteps back before the last federal election, while he has his current 'clear air'.

We're back to square one on medicare 'co'payments' or whatever he now calls it, making announcements re Submarines & car industry 'support'
I think he is really confusing everyone with his back tracking, side stepping & his stupid statements.

Its hard to retrace ones foot steps, especially when ones foot is stuck in ones mouth.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back