Do the Lions have the best midfield in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon, Richmond,North, geelong, Gold Coast, gws, freo, there are more

We have 4 or 5 A grade midfielders brisbane have 2 or 3
was talking about which teams have a better midfield than adelaide, but anyway

how do they have 4 or 5 A grade midfielders? are you kidding? they have 2: sloane and danger

And went within four points of winning one with Gardiner playing as a key forward.

Exactly. Midfields are key in winning games these days. The way teams structure these days, it is possible to nullify dominant KPF's. Don't get me wrong, having a gun KPF makes life a hell of a lot easier. However, not having them doesn't mean you can't have success.

And as I was typing this out, first thing that came to mind was the Doggies in their prelim finals losses. Their midfield was still probably a level below the others though at the time.

Geelong. On the "Adelaide scale" I think we have 11 A Grade midfielders.

Sheez even the Tiges would have a few on the "Adelaide scale".

Gee on the adelaide scale nearly every player is A grade, potential is a wonderful thing or living in the past

B crouch an A grader really after 20 games and barely saw a game this year, on that scale ollie would be an A grader same age 49 games and allot better stats than crouch. Not saying he won't be an A grader but he ain't close at all atm, all would agree ollie isn't an A grader yet needs allot more runs on the board.

Love to have this guy across the road B Smith, but as a midfielder isn't A grader either, all the stats put up for him where from the half back flank a running one at that with devine skills, last time i looked that's not the midfield, he could become also a great midfielder but you can't release him from the flank as there is no one to replace him there.

Thomo - has slowed massively even looking at your board near end of season most where thinking he should or would retire, was a A grader back in the day but those days have passed by him now a solid contributor but that is it. Be interesting which way phil goes next year if he plays the kids for experience for life after thomo (as depth) or he goes for experience and wins and plays him regularly, hope phil has some freedom and slack in setting his team up for the future, just not play finals at all costs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty impressive lot the Lions have now running through the Midfield.

Badly need some fowards and a key backman though.

Won't argue with the forwards part but I don't think the backman part is as dire as many think. Agree long term we need 1 more KPD and we definitely need a lockdown small but for the next season or so I think we're ok in the KPD defender category. We have Clarke (had a very underrated year), Maguire, Gardiner, Merrett and Bourke off the rookie list. Added another in the draft with our academy selection. McStay can also play reasonably tall down back. So I think we're doing alright in the next year or so. Longer term we're relying on development of a few of those younger guys but they're tracking pretty well at the moment.

Speculation is fun in the off season.
We have to do something or we can watch test match cricket!

What is a midfield these days! Quite often Hawks will have Bruest, Rioli, Roughy, Poppy starting in the square and they have been vital in our midfield success.

Pretty impressive lot the Lions have now running through the Midfield.

Badly need some fowards and a key backman though.

Agree with this. The bears have a good midfield on paper. obviously the whole group are yet to play a game together and the ones that did, though great individually coped some massive midfield smashings. My worry is there forward and back line as well.

Just to be clear I am not bashing brisbane. Just responding to the OP who asked for peoples opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back