Do we dare dream

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles and Dockers have to work together to get rid of Hawthorn imo. We somehow beat them in a QF and freo can finish them off in a PF. Ironically I think we can only win the flag if we play Freo in the GF. I reckon freo would be feeling the same with us.
Disagree. Freo will be much harder to beat in a Grand Final than Hawthorn in my opinion.

You can't quantify desire and hunger, but how can you compare the amount that Pavlich, Sandilands, McPharlin and Lyon want a premiership medal with Hawthorn's best players (most of whom have three flags already).

I reckon Hawthorn are a better side than Freo, but have much much much less to play for when it comes down to it.

Disagree. Freo will be much harder to beat in a Grand Final than Hawthorn in my opinion.

You can't quantify desire and hunger, but how can you compare the amount that Pavlich, Sandilands, McPharlin and Lyon want a premiership medal with Hawthorn's best players (most of whom have three flags already).

I reckon Hawthorn are a better side than Freo, but have much much much less to play for when it comes down to it.
It would be two non-vic teams who don't have MCG home ground advantage.

It would be two non-vic teams who don't have MCG home ground advantage.
Doesn't outweigh the fact it's the last roll of the dice for a bunch of players who have dragged their side through the s**t heap over a decade.

Just my opinion

Doesn't outweigh the fact it's the last roll of the dice for a bunch of players who have dragged their side through the s**t heap over a decade.

Just my opinion
Yeah, I see your point of view. I suppose all other top 4 teams have recently played in a GF. I think we'd be against it whoever we play if we happen to make it. Unless a team from the bottom half of the 8 defies the odds and makes it.

Yeah, I see your point of view. I suppose all other top 4 teams have recently played in a GF. I think we'd be against it whoever we play if we happen to make it. Unless a team from the bottom half of the 8 defies the odds and makes it.
Norf v WC grand final pls

Just my opinion
And what about the pain driving Hurn, LeCras and Rosa after being "too young" in 06. The hunger of some of our players after winning our first wooden spoon. The hunger for Hawthorn to be considered the best team of the modern era better than Brisbane. People dream as kids of winning premierships. There won't be a difference in hunger. There'll be a difference in composure and in skills.

And what about the pain driving Hurn, LeCras and Rosa after being "too young" in 06. The hunger of some of our players after winning our first wooden spoon. The hunger for Hawthorn to be considered the best team of the modern era better than Brisbane. People dream as kids of winning premierships. There won't be a difference in hunger. There'll be a difference in composure and in skills.
Not comparing us and Freo, I'm comparing Freo and Hawthorn, which was the original point.

If you think Freo's drive will be no different to Hawthorn wanting to be 'considered better than Brisbane' then fair enough. I don't buy it though. That kind of logic suggests that strong teams should simply continue to win flag after flag after flag.

You said people dream of winning premierships...well that's my point. Freo's senior players will know that it's now or never. None of Hawthorn's players will think that because they all have silverware on the mantelpieces already.

There's a reason why premiership hangovers exist and it's not injuries and bad luck.

Not comparing us and Freo, I'm comparing Freo and Hawthorn, which was the original point.

If you think Freo's drive will be no different to Hawthorn wanting to be 'considered better than Brisbane' then fair enough. I don't buy it though. That kind of logic suggests that strong teams should simply continue to win flag after flag after flag.

You said people dream of winning premierships...well that's my point. Freo's senior players will know that it's now or never. None of Hawthorn's players will think that because they all have silverware on the mantelpieces already.

There's a reason why premiership hangovers exist and it's not injuries and bad luck.
Maybe yes at the start of the season (Premiership Hangover) but these guys are in the 4 and are still the team to beat. Their real season begins in September that's their motivation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. I guess the fear of losing a Derby GF also influences my thoughts.

I have thought all season that Hawthorn are the best side going around but some of their senior players' indiscipline has made me wonder whether they're not really committed.

I have thought all season that Hawthorn are the best side going around but some of their senior players' indiscipline has made me wonder whether they're not really committed.

That is a fair question too. Certainly points to a lack of discipline, doesn't it?
I am not too worried about facing the hawks really, as with a full team in, at subi, I reckon we can do 'em over.
Roll on the finals. It is great to be able to say that again.

Excellent post Keys.

I said earlier this year I wanted to believe. Since the game v Hawks, something inside me changed.

I do believe.

Bring it home boys.

Last edited:

I'm with you for some reason I'm a bit scared of playing Freo at the G. I just feel like they'd do a good job of reducing it to a slog fest and I wonder if we would be able to cope.

Long time before we have to worry about that yet though. Hopefully we face them in a home prelim.

I'm with you for some reason I'm a bit scared of playing Freo at the G. I just feel like they'd do a good job of reducing it to a slog fest and I wonder if we would be able to cope.

Long time before we have to worry about that yet though. Hopefully we face them in a home prelim.
You could argue that playing Freo at the 'G plays into our hands. Both teams play heavy defence, we know that. But the 'G is wider than Subiaco, making gaps a little wider. The quality of the offence matters a little more than it would do in a derby at Subiaco.

We have (yes, I'll say it) the best offence in the league. Only Hawthorn comes close. Freo are not worth a mention in an attacking sense. We play them at the MCG, and we can try force the issue into a shoot out.

And if that happens, it's advantage us.

Look people may say its too early for us to win a flag but these chances are not guaranteed to come in year after year take Brisbane for example. So we have to make the most of it if we are in it we must be in it to win it

When was the last time a team came from outside the 8 to with in the following year?
Port in 2007 made the GF after missing finals in 2006

Adelaide were 12th in 1996. Won the flag in 1997

Don't think there are any others

Edit: how could I forget the cats in 2007

would enjoy seeing Emac back in the side - then we would be very major chance - is the the dream thread?
I'm curious to see how EMac and maybe Brown affect our side when they're back.

Gov, Schofield and Barrass are all fairly attacking KPDs and like to back in their rebound skills over killing the ball. Mackenzie has learned to be super conservative from Glass, and Brown is Brown.

Is there any chance our defense and our rebound through the corridor is actually worse off once eric is back? It sounds ridiculous but you just never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back