Opinion Do you have confidence in Chris Scott and the coaching staff?

Do you have confidence in Chris Scott and his coaching staff?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
no faith

did a great job in 2011 but since then he has made a heap of mistakes

*favouring Blicavs over West in the ruck
*bringing back injured players too quickly
*terrible development of KPF's
*not resting older players
*poor development of players
*having an eachway bet as far as development vs winning a flag
*really poor press conferences eg mission accomplished
*no contingency plans (eg rucks, Hawkins situation a few years ago)
*losing mid aged players Christensen, Varcoe, T Hunt for very little
*poor finals record
*has a clear set of favourites
*older players seem to do what they want

the sooner we get rid of him the better

I think that since he won a flag he got overconfident and is too loyal with the older players

Agree with the three bolded.

The poll lacks the logical 4th option, which is for people who are yet undecided whether he is the man, and who didn't regard 2011 as an automatic reason to have faith. I.e. they haven't lost faith, they were never fully decided, in spite of 2011. This is where I sit.

For one that is not what you said and two, yes accepting anything that is not a premiership is accepting mediocrity. Doesn't mean you expect a flag or haven't done well if you fail to win a flag, but you never accept it, you have never accomplished a mission unless it helps you win a flag, especially with the talent Scott has at his disposal.

With great respect, I think this is nonsense.

Doesn't have to be what I said. You said we were accepting mediocrity i rebutted that with what we have achieved. Which is not mediocre.

Oh and maybe take a break from the hash cookies for a while 'accepting anything that is not a premiership is mediocrity' so 17 teams are mediocre are they, the runners up are mediocre are they? Who said the club was accepting what happened?

but if you don't think you can learn in a loss, then you're an idiot......
We are going around in circles. You are changing what I'm saying to suit your argument and not responding to what I'm actually saying so there is no point continuing. Also when you resort to name calling as you have numerous times in this thread (sunshine, spoilt brat, DQ and now idiot) it makes your argument look weak. It is possible to disagree with someone and not resort to it.

We are going around in circles. You are changing what I'm saying to suit your argument and not responding to what I'm actually saying so there is no point continuing. Also when you resort to name calling as you have numerous times in this thread (sunshine, spoilt brat, DQ and now idiot) it makes your argument look weak. It is possible to disagree with someone and not resort to it.
It's also possible not to overreact to one comment and then claim we're accepting mediocrity. If the shoe fits.

It's also possible not to overreact to one comment and then claim we're accepting mediocrity. If the shoe fits.
It was never about one comment in isolation. You say take things in context. It was the culmination of a couple of years of public behaviour that seemed to show that Scott was happy with making finals and not going the next step.

2013 Finals Series was so ridiculous that it's hard to have a lot of confidence. Still think CS is a decent coach though, it's that he can make decisions that 90% of people would realise are wrong then fronts up to press confrences and acts like everything's cool.

Think this conveys what I think fairly accurately, 2013 finals were a total fiasco really, and on top of his decision in the 2012 Elimination final to (stubbornly) refuse to move Lonners off Pavlich it's eroded my confidence somewhat.

Also not keen on his preference for certain players over others, but having said that I'm not writing him of just yet, think this year will be telling though, another straight sets exit in September (provided we're there of course) will be damning and would have me seriously wondering if he's the right man to take us forward.

What he says at press conferences may be annoying at times but couldn't really give a toss personally, wouldn't be a coach in the comp who hasn't said something inane at some point or another.

It was never about one comment in isolation. You say take things in context. It was the culmination of a couple of years of public behaviour that seemed to show that Scott was happy with making finals and not going the next step.
I disagree. Do not for a second think that is the case.

By public behaviour you're meaning interviews and press conferences yes?

How on earth would any of us know what goes on in the inner sanctum.

The reason I don't think they're sitting back and accepting it, is that CHF and ruck have been problematic areas for us, now it's too early to tell if it will work but the recruitment of Stanley and Clark suggests to me we're not sitting idly by and accepting what's happening, we're trying to fix the problem to hopefully improve.

Cannot knock the club for trying to find the solution. Hopefully they help us find the solution.

If Clark kicks less than a goal a game I'd just delist him after the season and develop Walker... [finally]. If he kicks above 40 goals would give him a 1.2m 3 year contract
If Clark plays I think he'll be able to kick more than 20-25 goals this season. He'll be on the second defender too, where as at the dees he got the no1 defender.

I like Walker but Clark is better than him comfortably when fit.

Last edited:
If Clark plays I think he'll be able to kick more than 20-25 goals this season. He'll be on the second defender too, where as at the fees he got the no1 defender.

I like Walker but Clark is better than him comfortably when fit.
Only because Walker has like 5 games to his name.. as does kersten

Only because Walker has like 5 games to his name.. as does kersten
Nothing to do with that in my assessment. Clark imo has a greater peak ability than Walker will ever attain. Clark has shown the ability to be a 50 goal forward but just hasn't been able to stay fit in previous seasons.

I have doubts that Walker will ever look like a 50 goal forward tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with that in my assessment. Clark imo has a greater peak ability than Walker will ever attain. Clark has shown the ability to be a 50 goal forward but just hasn't been able to stay fit in previous seasons.

I have doubts that Walker will ever look like a 50 goal forward tbh.
And you probably had those same doubts on Podsiadly for 2010.. 49 goals?

And you probably had those same doubts on Podsiadly for 2010.. 49 goals?
Big difference. Walker is a raw young forward who has shown to be inconsistent.

Podsiadly was recruited after years of banging goal after goal after goal in the vfl. Having watched him the previous season with our vfl side, no I didn't doubt Pods.

Thought he'd be a good foil for Mooney and would be able to carry the load for a season or two whilst Hawkins developed.

It would be useful actually. Allow us to book holidays in late September with total confidence.
That's the plan, the more that go on holidays the more tickets left for the rest of us;):D

Sure, but taking Walker's situation and attributes into consideration, a 29-year-old key forward (as Pods was in 2010) doesn't exactly look like a carbon copy does he?
Look, chuck Walker out there for 50 games and he'll look far better than he already does.

Put in into perspective how well we've done all things considered. In 2007 we broke our drought with that wonderful 119 against Port.

Since then they've fallen away, had bay covers, nearly won a spoon, had debt troubles, hired one of our premiership winning assistants as head coach and still had time to make finals for the last 2 years now.

In that time we've missed top 4 once.

Actually in the overall scheme of things Port have done pretty well - and have rebounded quickly

2008 they were ok - it was a good game in SA against Geelong that year

9 10 11 12 were their down years - 13 nearly made the PF - and 14 very close to the GF

So theve had 4 down years ( painful at the time - no supporter wants to see their club down the bottom) - but you contrast that to Richmond and Carlton - 35 and 20 year flag droughts respectively - and have picked up quite a few wooden spoons - and both are still miles off a flag

And you can throw Essendon into the same bracket - irrelevant for the last 13-14 years - and some woeful seasons in between - and Nth Melb - last 15 years never a serious flag contender

The only dissappointing thing for Pt Adelaide is if they dont jag at least 2 flags in this era with the squad theve got - they will be ruing 2014 forever - because they would have comfortably beaten Sydney in 2014 - im convinced of that

Actually in the overall scheme of things Port have done pretty well - and have rebounded quickly

9 10 11 12 were their down years - 13 nearly made the PF - and 14 very close to the GF

So theve had 4 down years ( painful at the time - no supporter wants to see their club down the bottom) - but you contrast that to Richmond and Carlton - 35 and 20 year flag droughts respectively - and have picked up quite a few wooden spoons - and both are still miles off a flag

And you can throw Essendon into the same bracket - irrelevant for the last 13-14 years - and some woeful seasons in between - and Nth Melb - last 15 years never a serious flag contender

The only dissappointing thing for Pt Adelaide is if they dont jag at least 2 flags in this era with the squad theve got - they will be ruing 2014 forever - because they would have comfortably beaten Sydney in 2014 - im convinced of that
I agree port have done well to recover so quickly. In that time of 2007 Melbourne and Richmond were the cellar dwellers. Richmond have slowly improved as the seasons have gone by while Melbourne are still rubbish. This shows how well port have done to overtake them both in terms of development.

Alas my comment was about how well we've done and I used Port as an example of that, as to rebut the stupid notion that we're accepting mediocrity:rolleyes:

port had a few things go there way but they still hit the draft hard and built their core up

with so many teams now you really just need a good young list on the rise and players will be throwing themselves at you for a trade

too many teams get stuck in the middle they hold onto fringe and old players too long and top up too much, clubs should be a bit more ruthless

finishing near the bottom and having a few A graders/B+ graders on your list seems to be a good thing, it usually results in a quick rebound up the ladder

unfortunately for us we have gone the other way (ross lyon list building 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back