Opinion Do you have confidence in Chris Scott and the coaching staff?

Do you have confidence in Chris Scott and his coaching staff?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
very worried now
an_nailbiter.gif

He does things that leave me scratching my head but the general direction he is taking the list gives me confidence.

We are at least four years off a flag though. Whether he is able to get improvement from our 18-23 year olds in the next 18 months will decide whether he is around for our next flag tilt.

very worried now
an_nailbiter.gif
Seriously, we don't have the cattle. This was THE youngest team Scott has coached at Geelong in 5 1/4 years.

At some stage this year this young group will gel and we'll start winning more than we lose

I'm concerned, what's the plan ?

Handball to someone standing still who will get pinged ?
I heard CS from where I was sitting at 1/4 time, and he clearly told his team to handball at all times to stationary players.....?

Seriously, Guthrie explained to the K rock team post match that it was discussed a lot, but they succumbed to NM's pressure. Bigger more experienced players. It happens. We will go through a lot of misery rebuilding this team, but it'll be worth seeing the ongoing development of Bews, Thurlow, Gregson, Lang, Murdoch-yes, Murdoch et al.

Looking like a dumb team right now. And that doesn't reflect well on the coach.

Opponent gets the ball, waits to draw the inevitable swarm of blinkered Cats, then has his pick of wide open runners to get an easy handball to. How many times? How many times were our players too slow to read the play on a switch, resulting in them arriving a step late to a contest that they absolutely should have broken up? How many ridiculously undisciplined (genuine 'lost the plot') free kicks against, North's good run with the umpires notwithstanding?

Looking like a dumb team right now. And that doesn't reflect well on the coach.

Opponent gets the ball, waits to draw the inevitable swarm of blinkered Cats, then has his pick of wide open runners to get an easy handball to. How many times? How many times were our players too slow to read the play on a switch, resulting in them arriving a step late to a contest that they absolutely should have broken up? How many ridiculously undisciplined (genuine 'lost the plot') free kicks against, North's good run with the umpires notwithstanding?
But as Veedubs pointed out this is what happens to a young and inexperienced bunch of kids who succumb to the pressure of a well drilled team like North. There isn't much a coach can do about it

Did Lethal become a crap coach after the 3-peat when Brisbane plummeted so dramatically?

Absolutely no future in pointing the finger at CS. This was inevitable and healthy for us and the competition.

But as Veedubs pointed out this is what happens to a young and inexperienced bunch of kids who succumb to the pressure of a well drilled team like North. There isn't much a coach can do about it

I don't buy that. That's dumb football, junior footy stuff. Everyone desperately chasing the ball carrier and ignoring everything else. It's a standard drill at training, draw the extra defender and then get it off to your teammate, that is subsequently in the clear. It happened constantly. And if the coach isn't responsible for that, I'd like to know what he is responsible for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our defence is replenishing well, the forward line probably fuller than it's ever been, it's just the midfield and ruck. Stanley and another good ruck could be the answer and if we get danger and another A grade midfilder then I'll consider us rebuilt and ready for contention.

I don't buy that. That's dumb football, junior footy stuff. Everyone desperately chasing the ball carrier and ignoring everything else. It's a standard drill at training, draw the extra defender and then get it off to your teammate, that is subsequently in the clear. It happened constantly. And if the coach isn't responsible for that, I'd like to know what he is responsible for.
If only it was that easy to rectify. How about accepting that we were simply outplayed by a classier, more accomplished team, on the way up, with their players very well drilled. We have done that to teams for over a decade, now our personnel for varying reasons are not quite up to it. We were beaten by 16 points, and despite being smashed in possessions, were always in the game.
Did you select Geelong pre game?

I think our defence is replenishing well, the forward line probably fuller than it's ever been, it's just the midfield and ruck. Stanley and another good ruck could be the answer and if we get danger and another A grade midfilder then I'll consider us rebuilt and ready for contention.
Who knows. If Gore is as good as everyone thinks he is and we play him for the rest of the year we could have a B+ by next year.
Also Blitz. I know everyone will laugh at me but I think he could be as good as Kouta. He could be an A grader as early as next year.
Personally id like to go after Treloar or Shiel next year. I think we'll have a few players to trade with too.
Possibly another A grader there.

If only it was that easy to rectify. How about accepting that we were simply outplayed by a classier, more accomplished team, on the way up, with their players very well drilled. We have done that to teams for over a decade, now our personnel for varying reasons are not quite up to it. We were beaten by 16 points, and despite being smashed in possessions, were always in the game.

Jeez that is very well said. Its exactly as I see it.

If only it was that easy to rectify.

It is. Like I said, it's junior footy stuff. And early junior footy, at that.

How about accepting that we were simply outplayed by a classier, more accomplished team, on the way up, with their players very well drilled.

Yes, with those young exciting players like Nahas and Waite being the chief scoreboard contributors.

We have done that to teams for over a decade, now our personnel for varying reasons are not quite up to it. We were beaten by 16 points, and despite being smashed in possessions, were always in the game.

Not sure why it matters, but I did, actually. I think they should be up to it. We're getting nowhere near enough from the vast majority of players that are between the 30-120 game range and that's not acceptable. Most of them have been on an AFL list for 5+ years, many of them playing under Chris Scott for his entire tenure at Geelong. Cockatoo and Lang have had their ups and downs so far, but I'm not blaming them. I'm talking about players that are 23, 24, 25 years old. That's supposed to be pretty close to the prime of a player's career, I thought.

It is. Like I said, it's junior footy stuff. And early junior footy, at that.

Yes, with those young exciting players like Nahas and Waite being the chief scoreboard contributors.

Not sure why it matters, but I did, actually. I think they should be up to it. We're getting nowhere near enough from the vast majority of players that are between the 30-120 game range and that's not acceptable. Most of them have been on an AFL list for 5+ years, many of them playing under Chris Scott for his entire tenure at Geelong. Cockatoo and Lang have had their ups and downs so far, but I'm not blaming them. I'm talking about players that are 23, 24, 25 years old. That's supposed to be pretty close to the prime of a player's career, I thought.
Exactly- They are not as good as what you, and I, are used to.
Waite beat several players last year, namely ours and NM's defence. ON his day, a very accomplished and difficult match-up. Today was not a great day to miss Lonergan.

A bit derogatory likening our set-up to junior footy. And unless you are a junior footy coach, or better still, a more senior coach, yourself, or even part of a coaching panel, then your comments are very reactive at best.

Last edited:

Ah, but you mustn't have been told this, he only has input.

Exactly- They are not as good as what you, and I, are used to.

If you think that's what I'm saying, you're missing my point. They're not as good as they should be. It's not about me expecting them to be superstars, it's about expecting them to be significantly better than they were when they were still on their P plates now that they are approaching - or in - their mid 20s, as would be expected of every footballer in the AFL.

Waite beat several players last year, namely ours and NM's defence. ON his day, a very accomplished and difficult match-up. Today was not a great day to miss Lonergan.

26 disposals, 11 marks and 2.2 in two games against us. And, of course, he's 32. I'm not sure which of these 'up and comers' made a major contribution to their win, to be honest.

A bit derogatory likening our set-up to junior footy. And unless you are a junior footy coach, or better still, a more senior coach, yourself, or even part of a coaching panel, then your comments are very reactive at best.

Well, there's a first on Big Footy: someone seeing something that happened time and again during a game and making a comment on it. If you have any suggestions on how you'd like me to be proactive about it, I'm all ears. Sounds like a pretty standard 'unless you've played/coached at AFL level, you have no right to make a comment' argument, which of course, only seems to be an issue when the comment is a criticism. And of course, if everyone stuck to that philosophy, there wouldn't be a Big Footy.

Our players are continually being caught out when the opposition has the ball, by being drawn to the carrier in groups of 2/3/4 and leaving the supporting runners unguarded. And, yes, it is very basic stuff.

Our players are continually being caught out when the opposition has the ball, by being drawn to the carrier in groups of 2/3/4 and leaving the supporting runners unguarded. And, yes, it is very basic stuff."

For me, It means that either they don't have chemistry yet or lost it somewhere. The problem could be more at the defence setup. It looks that if something is not right, everything looks not right.

Last edited:
If you think that's what I'm saying, you're missing my point. They're not as good as they should be. It's not about me expecting them to be superstars, it's about expecting them to be significantly better than they were when they were still on their P plates now that they are approaching - or in - their mid 20s, as would be expected of every footballer in the AFL.

26 disposals, 11 marks and 2.2 in two games against us. And, of course, he's 32. I'm not sure which of these 'up and comers' made a major contribution to their win, to be honest.

Well, there's a first on Big Footy: someone seeing something that happened time and again during a game and making a comment on it. If you have any suggestions on how you'd like me to be proactive about it, I'm all ears. Sounds like a pretty standard 'unless you've played/coached at AFL level, you have no right to make a comment' argument, which of course, only seems to be an issue when the comment is a criticism. And of course, if everyone stuck to that philosophy, there wouldn't be a Big Footy.

Our players are continually being caught out when the opposition has the ball, by being drawn to the carrier in groups of 2/3/4 and leaving the supporting runners unguarded. And, yes, it is very basic stuff.

You always make very informed and useful comments. Nothing wrong with showing your passion.
You have your points, I have mine. Not in any order,
1.I object to the junior footy reference for obvious reasons.
2. Waite was recruited to help their assault on the top 4 for he next 2 years, BS believes he will assist their flag aspirations. What is your point about Waite being 32?
3. Those Geelong players you refer to are just not that good. What is so hard to accept ? If you are referring to Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop, Caddy, GHS, can I presume that?
Of that group, only Guthrie looks the goods. I fear the rest will never be the A graders we would like them to be. Time is on their sides though, and we have a well established development of players at Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back