Do you rate Michael Voss as a coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 16, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have to admit the more I reflect on Voss' short coaching career the less I think of his abilities. When you look at the kind of massive year a guy like Tom Rockliff is having this year finally being played as a permanent midfielder, you've got to wonder why on earth Voss persisted with him as a forward target.

Watching him on the Recruit - and yes its just a tv show so who knows how properly representative it is of his coaching - he inspires very little. I'm not struggling to understand why the "Brisbane 5" decided to head back home.

Not really the most qualified judge though so I'm keen to hear some other opinions.

I thought Rockliff went okay under Voss, maturing will always help young players. Ie, Cunnington took a big step forward this year, if we changed coaches you would say Scott was a s**t coach because Cunnington now is playing much better...

I have to admit the more I reflect on Voss' short coaching career the less I think of his abilities. When you look at the kind of massive year a guy like Tom Rockliff is having this year finally being played as a permanent midfielder, you've got to wonder why on earth Voss persisted with him as a forward target.

Watching him on the Recruit - and yes its just a tv show so who knows how properly representative it is of his coaching - he inspires very little. I'm not struggling to understand why the "Brisbane 5" decided to head back home.

Not really the most qualified judge though so I'm keen to hear some other opinions.

There is some dispute over why the 5 left, some say they left because he was fired. Either way who cares, we probably had a best draft in recent times as a result.

I thought Rockliff went okay under Voss, maturing will always help young players. Ie, Cunnington took a big step forward this year, if we changed coaches you would say Scott was a s**t coach because Cunnington now is playing much better...

Certainly true but if you look at Rocky's stats, his numbers are great, then Voss decides he's more valuable as a forward and they go way down, then Voss leaves and he resumes midfield and they go way up... he's not playing him forward because he can't play midfield yet, he clearly was already capable of it.

Not basing it off a single player either, he just strikes me as one of the most notable examples.

p.s. as an aside, your "other teams" line is the best on BF.

Coaching is a funny game.
I'd of thought between Voss, Hird and Buckley, that one of them would've made a half decent coach.
All champion players - all average coaches.
On field Hird is a good coach.

Its the little business off that has people confused over his credentials.

Think he was a lot better than given credit for.

A lot of Brisbane fans I talk to out in the real world all seem to have a bit of confusion as to why he was let go which I think is fair enough, especially under the circumstances and how they had just started to gel a bit more under him.

Coaches that are given a team about to/at the start of a rebuild really have a thankless task. Footy fans expect results within 2 yrs and realistically thats not an option.

They want teams to be bolters like i.e Port have been in the last year or so but that is always the exception not the rule, good teams in MOST cases work toward it over a long period.

We need to get to the point where we stop assuming champion players are going to make great coaches. I never understood this as for all we know one of the worst players currently in the AFL might make one of the best coaches. It is all down to football brain, knowledge of tactics and ability to motivate and manage players. A person can be amazing at all these things but still be a terrible player as they might not have good skills.

Most of the great coaches in soccer were so so players and I think the AFL needs to start looking for football brains when deciding who is going to coach rather than who got the most All Australians.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to get to the point where we stop assuming champion players are going to make great coaches. I never understood this as for all we know one of the worst players currently in the AFL might make one of the best coaches. It is all down to football brain, knowledge of tactics and ability to motivate and manage players. A person can be amazing at all these things but still be a terrible player as they might not have good skills.

Most of the great coaches in soccer were so so players and I think the AFL starts needing to look for football brains when deciding who is going to coach rather than who got the most All Australians.

Ryan Crowley: the game's next mastermind coach.

Brisbane did win 10 games a season in his last two years there, so I think Vossy did a reasonable job. Players develop, and Rockliffe has just reached a point this year where he has the tank to be a midfielder. Maybe that's because of how Vossy developed him too. The reasons those guys left was not just about Vossy, although I'm not saying he's entirely blameless. You have to remember just how bad that club was from the board down, and they deserve just as much criticism for what happened.

Just because you see him on TV coach for like 30 seconds, then you're an expert on Vossy. Give me break.

Just because you see him on TV coach for like 30 seconds, then you're an expert on Vossy. Give me break.

OP contains the phrases "its just a tv show so who knows how properly representative it is of his coaching" and "Not really the most qualified judge though so I'm keen to hear some other opinions". At no point did I suggest watching The Recruit makes me an expert on his coaching style.

Rockliff played mid brilliantly in 2011 with no "tank" issues.

nope. he gutted brisbane. players left, staff left, fans left....all in mass numbers. millions in debt. brisbane was worse in every way by the time he left. end of story.

awesome player, crap coach, arsehole person.

What a s**t post. Clearly you have based everything you know off the media bullshit.

Have you actually met Voss to determine that he's an arsehole person or is that because of the Recruit? You do know how TV shows work right?

If the players were upset with his coaching, why did the leave even after he was sacked? Please name all the 'staff' that left. He was severely underresourced as a coach, and the club was against him from the very start.

As to the point of this thread, if you are basing Voss's coaching ability off the back of Rockliff being put forward when he could be playing midfield, that's just sad.

Realistically, has Leppitch's performance as coach actually bettered Voss's yet??

The Lions were a game off the 8 last year, and were stiff not to beat the Cats at KP in the last game which, I think, would have gotten them there.

He had the side playing reasonable footy from what I can remember.

I think there's some truth to the idea that average players are generally the better coaches.

They generally possess less natural talent than the superstars, and have to stay motivated and have a good work ethic in order to bridge the gap between them and the better players. They are able to get the best out of themselves and can apply that to others in a coaching sense.

Superstar players, on the other hand, have natural talent and don't need to work as hard as others to play well. They also expect others to be as good as them and something that comes easily to them is very difficult for someone else (e.g. kicking skills).

Voss was obviously a very good player and I hope another team gives him an opportunity to coach again.

Fair enough, but what's your call on Voss' coaching ability?

I think inexperience showed in the first couple of years but by the end he was fine and unlucky to lose his job. Would be good at another club. I don't think he was a great game day coach, Leppa is better. So while disappointed to lose him I think the Lions are in a much better position now than 12 months ago, even though we won less games this year. Also, as Greg Swann said on SEN last night we have a lot of room in the salary cap with recent retirements of Black & Brown, so could go after a big name aggressively in the trade period. Very positive about the direction of the club.

Realistically, has Leppitch's performance as coach actually bettered Voss's yet??

The Lions were a game off the 8 last year, and were stiff not to beat the Cats at KP in the last game which, I think, would have gotten them there.

I am pretty happy with Leppa's performance this year. We had new coach, heaps of new young players, injuries and suspensions to key players and a really tough draw for the first 6 weeks. I don't see any reason why we would move backwards from here considering we have a very young list.

New Coach = Different Game plan/style = Less results until we adapt. It isnt uncommon.

As far as Voss coaching, he got us to finals in 09, we bombed in 10/11 due to our overexcitment at making finals and trading in matures and then lead us to 10 win seasons for 12/13. I think he has the smarts to do it, IF he had the smarts around him to support.

He didnt have that at Brisbane, and we have gone to lengths to fix that for Leppa.

Most of the great coaches in soccer were so so players and I think the AFL needs to start looking for football brains when deciding who is going to coach rather than who got the most All Australians.

We do though.
It's why so many coaches were half back flankers and back pockets.

The players played for him until the end. You can't say that about every coach that has been in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back