Do your local police need armoured fighting vehicles?

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This article reveals that in the US:

*There are 80,000 SWAT raids every year.
*62% of all SWAT raids are drug-related.
*Only 7% of SWAT deployments are for hostage/shooter/barricade situations. 1 in every 14.
*In at least 36% of raids, no contraband of any kind is found.

Incredible. I will try to dig up stats for Australia.

I grew up in Northern Ireland and the police did have similar armoured vehicles. I took them for granted. Almost missed them when they disappeared. They don't make you feel very safe though. If I suddenly saw the police driving round in those things, I might start to think some seriously bad s**t is going down. Like a massive car bomb, or a home-made semtex rocket launcher. - http://books.google.com.au/books?id...v=onepage&q=semtex packet of biscuits&f=false

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How would you feel if you saw this taking place out the front of your house?

Bu2_Sp_IgAA4Avz.jpg

In the laaaaaaaaaaaaand of the freeeeeeeeeeeee...

kanye_best

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2011
Levi's Beard
AFL Club
Carlton

on Saturday an unarmed 18 year old man was shot and killed by a policeman. the reason why is still unclear. 3/4 days later, tensions are high and peace vigils to mourn the death of the man escalated into rowdy protests wanting answers for the savage crime.
I believe the image SB posted is from one of the protests.

on Saturday an unarmed 18 year old man was shot and killed by a policeman. the reason why is still unclear. 3/4 days later, tensions are high and peace vigils to mourn the death of the man escalated into rowdy protests wanting answers for the savage crime.
Interesting, thanks.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
How would you feel if you saw this taking place out the front of your house?

Bu2_Sp_IgAA4Avz.jpg

In the laaaaaaaaaaaaand of the freeeeeeeeeeeee...

except your comparing the us which is a dangerous s**t hole to us
on average over hundred police die on the job every year. roughly 50% die in car accidents (no wonder they want armoured cars lol s**t campaigners can't drive) the rest well.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-citizens-killed-cops-remains-unchanged.shtml

that's right 50 cops getting "killed" most by firearms and stabbings is a good year.

inversely 6 police have died on duty in Australia since 2010*, that includes car accident's everything thats dying between walking out the front door to go to work to walking back through it at the end of shift.

america is a shithole weather people admit it or not.

*doesn't include dodgy cops who don't get on the honour roll.

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
Was that the dude that was holding a BB gun and was apparently (jokingly) aiming it at kids inside a Walmart? store, only for a concerned customer to call the police mistakenly thinking he had was holding real gun? I believe real guns are sold in retail stores in the US, so their confusion can be somewhat justified.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
except your comparing the us which is a dangerous s**t hole to us
on average over hundred police die on the job every year. roughly 50% die in car accidents (no wonder they want armoured cars lol s**t campaigners can't drive) the rest well.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-citizens-killed-cops-remains-unchanged.shtml

that's right 50 cops getting "killed" most by firearms and stabbings is a good year.

inversely 6 police have died on duty in Australia since 2010*, that includes car accident's everything thats dying between walking out the front door to go to work to walking back through it at the end of shift.

america is a shithole weather people admit it or not.

*doesn't include dodgy cops who don't get on the honour roll.
Last year 31 were shot and 2 were stabbed. 44 died in vehicle accidents, 13 died of job-related illness, 6 fell, 2 drowned, etc. Mostly it's accidental deaths.

Meanwhile 17 people have been shot dead by police this month so far.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was that the dude that was holding a BB gun and was apparently (jokingly) aiming it at kids inside a Walmart? store, only for a concerned customer to call the police mistakenly thinking he had was holding real gun? I believe real guns are sold in retail stores in the US, so their confusion can be somewhat justified.
Different guy, that was John Crawford (and the facts are still confused about that). Mike Brown is the teenager.

Back