MRP / Trib. Dockers shock as Sylvia faces month-long ban

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me this:- why did his missus suddenly drop the charge, or even, why did she lay the charge in the first place?

Did she? I've only been going by what been written in that article and I didn't read anything about her pressing charges and later dropping them. If that's true, then i agree that is a fair bit of smoke.

Why was a witness willing to testify in a court hearing? Do you know how much bullshit that entails?
There's a fair chance that when the witness got involved Sylvia gave them a fair serve and possibly did threaten them, so I can why they'd want to. Plus it's the right thing to do if you saw something.
Why would you kick someones handbag?
Whatever the reason it's got to be better than the reason to kick a person

Fair dinkum you guys, I mean fair f***en dinkum.:rolleyes:

Two bogan idiots go out and get drunk. Despite the man being on an AFL list and under orders and "curfew".

Woman pisses off man at 3-30am and they blue.

Things escalate and it gets violent.

Someone gets gets slapped, kicked, flogged....whatever.

You'll see it every Saturday night in Lake Street.

Bystander steps in, as some of us do when a woman is getting a touch up, and gets told to "piss off or I'll kill you". A Grade bogan speak.

Coppers come and s**t hits the fan.

AFL footballer in the s**t. Oh noes!!

Man sobers up and realises that he is deeply in the sewer.

Says..."sorry honey, I love you so much, it'll never happen again"...which hopefully it didn't.

Woman reconsiders her position and the implications if she goes forward with her statement...and she does "love" him afterall.

Backs down and supports "her man".

This happens every day of the week all over the world.

It goes to court and there is no case, however the coppers are concerned enough to push for an order against the man, which is duly granted by the judge.

Said man then shows the same reactive behaviour over years on the footy field and even smacks a bloke out of frustration in a game with the twos after not being selected in the ones, despite trying to force his way into a team within the premiership window.

This, after showing petulant behaviour in front of fans and coaches at training.

but yeah, he didn't smack her.:rolleyes:

I've got to admit even as an ardent Sylvia fan this incident is surprising (given the context of Sylvia's situation).

He's only got a few years left and this is his chance to achieve a coveted premiership.

He obviously has a different mentality to life and the privilege that is football to what I do.

I still have faith in him, if only because self interest is enough of a motivation to change his ways.

Is all this chat really about something that happened over 8 years ago? And I thought Eagles supporters liked to live in the past. Prefer to focus on the now - Sylvia's in trouble for his cheap shot on the weekend and rightly so. Up to him to pull his finger out and redeem himself. I hope he can do it. Something that happened 8 years ago, well I'm sure the club is not holding him to account for that. Young footballers are stupid and can't handle their booze, we see it time and time again ... he's no Robinson Crusoe, probably in the majority actually.

Is all this chat really about something that happened over 8 years ago? And I thought Eagles supporters liked to live in the past. Prefer to focus on the now - Sylvia's in trouble for his cheap shot on the weekend and rightly so. Up to him to pull his finger out and redeem himself. I hope he can do it. Something that happened 8 years ago, well I'm sure the club is not holding him to account for that. Young footballers are stupid and can't handle their booze, we see it time and time again ... he's no Robinson Crusoe, probably in the majority actually.

I somewhat agree with that, the blokes made a mistake when he was young and so should be given some leeway in terms of using that incident to make judgements on his current character. I think the club knows that, and most reasonable people know that.

However, that doesn't mean we can't use his past as a reference point to interpret the kind of person he might be now. It just shouldn't be the main point of discussion, like some people want it to be.

In the end, I don't care about all this moral posturing tbh. This is a football club first and foremost. Sylvia is a good footballer, that's enough for me to support his position at this club. If it all goes awry then we'll deal with it then. Don't condemn him to purgatory prematurely based on 'what might happen'.

I think we can consider the weight of evidence to conclude that Colin Sylvia is a dickhead and can once and for all put to bed the idea that any club has a "no dickheads" policy.

Agreed to an extent, however there would be a "can we possibly rehab the dickhead" policy.

I know what you're saying, however he has hardly been a golden boy with his behaviour on and off the field since then.

It is a pattern of behaviour which has shown itself, yet again, with us.

i truly hope that he makes it, but at his age, and with his current opportunity blown, i seriously doubt it.

You just have to hope he 'grows up' fast. I know I did between being a typical know-it-all dickhead at 17 and age 25 where I was completely different. But yeah, I've met some people and personality types that never ever mature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back