Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anybody know why Docklands and the MCG still use the rotating advertising boards on the sidelines when every other regular ground has upgraded to the video boards?
I was thinking this the other day actually. I reckon that the MCG will have them by the time the Cricket World Cup comes around. Only because most ICC Tournaments have them nowdays

Maybe both grounds have deals with the company that owns the roller signs.

They do look very very outdated especially compared to what we now have at Adelaide Oval, dual electronic ribbons which can be customised for the home team, after hoing to a couple of games there, thry really are brilliant.

Docklands has started putting in video boards on level 2.

Still, why they continue to use the rotating advertising is a bit perplexing. Even Spotless Stadium has video advertising!
The ones that flash Toyo Tyres and Coles insurance behind the goals? If so they've been there since late last year.(Round 20 or around that mark)

I heard them talk on "on the couch" last night about how the roof at Etihad should always be closed due to problems with the sun glare, and that it would be better for players and spectators with the roof shut. I agree its probably better on tv with roof shut, but I went to that game on Sunday and it was a perfect afternoon, sunny, and I enjoyed sitting in the sun- to me it would be so depressing to go into a closed stadium on a nice day like that- leave it open I say!

I heard them talk on "on the couch" last night about how the roof at Etihad should always be closed due to problems with the sun glare, and that it would be better for players and spectators with the roof shut. I agree its probably better on tv with roof shut, but I went to that game on Sunday and it was a perfect afternoon, sunny, and I enjoyed sitting in the sun- to me it would be so depressing to go into a closed stadium on a nice day like that- leave it open I say!
Were you looking directly into the sun though?

Were you looking directly into the sun though?

I was, hat and sunglasses took care of it. Same as on ANZAC day at the G. I know I'm probably in the minority, and I know players can't wear hats and sunglasses, but as a spectator I like a bit of sun on a nice day. Sure if its rainy close the thing though!

Just a question for all the Docklands regulars. What's the view like from the first row of level 3 on the wings?

I'm heading over for a weekend later in the year, got level 2 tickets to the Bombers/Eagles game, now for the Blues/Cats game. My choices seem to be level one behind the goals or up on level 3. Cheers!

Just a question for all the Docklands regulars. What's the view like from the first row of level 3 on the wings?

I'm heading over for a weekend later in the year, got level 2 tickets to the Bombers/Eagles game, now for the Blues/Cats game. My choices seem to be level one behind the goals or up on level 3. Cheers!

It's a great view from the first few rows of level 3. Excellent overview of the ground

Have been to Etihad Stadium before and watched North Melbourne vs Collingwood. I was seated up in level 3 and saw North Melbourne get absolutely punished by Collingwood.
I kind of wish that North Melbourne would do a deal with Etihad stadium that all membership holders need to fill level 1 and 2 first before allocating us to level 3 where you simply get a sore neck from watching down upon Etihad Stadium.
Let us get amongst the action.

Have been to Etihad Stadium before and watched North Melbourne vs Collingwood. I was seated up in level 3 and saw North Melbourne get absolutely punished by Collingwood.
I kind of wish that North Melbourne would do a deal with Etihad stadium that all membership holders need to fill level 1 and 2 first before allocating us to level 3 where you simply get a sore neck from watching down upon Etihad Stadium.
Can remember Geelong v North early last year, level 3 was near full but level 1 wouldn't have been anymore than 50%. Looks bad for the AFL on TV and a pain for spectators

How much of the stadium do North control at a home game & who do they allocate preference to?
What seating does the AFL members get allocated?

Have you expressed your views to your club?
Have you expressed your views to the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't listen to these pampered Victorians. Have you been to Etihad before? If not you'll walk past a train station and be astounded that people could complain about the joint. Then when you walk in you'll realise it's almost too good for somewhere you go to watch s**t football teams get flogged. It's a great venue and level 3 is where I always sit and never think "hmm this view isn't good enough." Tactically you can see the game unfurl, you're close to the game in relativity (in terms of the AFL grounds, nowhere else would be closer at the top tier), and there's plenty of room.

Do it.

How much of the stadium do North control at a home game & who do they allocate preference to?
What seating does the AFL members get allocated?

Have you expressed your views to your club?
Have you expressed your views to the AFL?
Yes i have already done so. Do you think anyone has listened? No way and plenty of people have brought it up.
If you have a general admission membership you are up on level 3.
Says it on the back of our memberships. Should be level 2.

Yes i have already done so. Do you think anyone has listened? No way and plenty of people have brought it up.
If you have a general admission membership you are up on level 3.
Says it on the back of our memberships. Should be level 2.

So who is on level 2, Medallion Club, AFL Members. MCC members?

Don't listen to these pampered Victorians. Have you been to Etihad before? If not you'll walk past a train station and be astounded that people could complain about the joint. Then when you walk in you'll realise it's almost too good for somewhere you go to watch s**t football teams get flogged. It's a great venue and level 3 is where I always sit and never think "hmm this view isn't good enough." Tactically you can see the game unfurl, you're close to the game in relativity (in terms of the AFL grounds, nowhere else would be closer at the top tier), and there's plenty of room.

Do it.

Only been there the once about 11 years ago for a North/Essendon game and bought tickets at the gate and sat right behind the interchange, thought the stadium was awesome though, although most are when you're sitting at Subi every 2nd week :)

Ended up getting Level 3 seats Row B for the Carlton/Geelong game and towards the back of Level 2 for the Eagles/Bombers game, looking forward to it now.

Probably go to the Demons/Giants game at the G on the Sunday too, but I doubt I'll have to worry about pre-ordering for that one.

Cheers guys!

Funnily enough I'm going down to Melbourne in the same weekend as you Mr Smith.

Haven't booked any tickets yet (only flights so far) but will obviously go to Lions v Pies on Saturday Night, intend to go to Blues v Cats the night before, watch the Roys on Saturday arvo at Brunswick St Oval and I'll decide on the Sunday whether to go to Demons v Giants or North v Footscray.

Bit of a shame that the Dons v Eagles game is on Saturday Twilight rather than Saturday Arvo otherwise I'd go to that as well.

A question about the Docklands game, am I able to book wing seats on Level 2 as someone who isn't an AFL/Medallion Club member?

Funnily enough I'm going down to Melbourne in the same weekend as you Mr Smith.

Haven't booked any tickets yet (only flights so far) but will obviously go to Lions v Pies on Saturday Night, intend to go to Blues v Cats the night before, watch the Roys on Saturday arvo at Brunswick St Oval and I'll decide on the Sunday whether to go to Demons v Giants or North v Footscray.

Bit of a shame that the Dons v Eagles game is on Saturday Twilight rather than Saturday Arvo otherwise I'd go to that as well.

A question about the Docklands game, am I able to book wing seats on Level 2 as someone who isn't an AFL/Medallion Club member?

We're thinking of racing over to the G for the Magpies/Lions game, but seeing how we'll probably miss most of the first quarter we might just find a good pub somewhere.

As far as booking seats on level two, I booked mine for the Eagles game through Ticketmaster, for games at Etihad you can choose your own seats. For the Carlton/Geelong game no seats were available on Level 2, so it might just depend on who's home game it is. But if you try to book tickets through Ticketmaster you should be able to find out which seats are available.

Etihad Stadium profits up 24pc to $4.8m .... year to December 2013.

The financial report of the stadium’s owner, Stadium Operations Limited, revealed net operating profit reached about $4.8 million in 2013, up from $3.9 million the year before.
Total revenue rose by about 10 per cent to $79 million. However, the stadium’s net loss after about $21 million worth of interest expenses was $16.7 million, down slightly from the $17.3 million loss recorded in 2012.
The Stadium Operations balance sheet showed its owners have a loan of about $199 million outstanding. The stadium is owned by five investment and superannuation funds, including the Statewide Superannuation Trust and the JF Infrastructure Yield Fund.

The stadium will also hold a three-day Jehovah’s Witnesses global conference later this year that will attract 50,000 people a day.

I'll be sitting in the Medallion Club for the first time this weekend at Dogs v Freo and just curious regarding the dress code. Does anyone have any of the rules (as I'll be sitting in the spectators seats) and was intending on rocking up in jeans or chinos with a dogs Guernsey over a tee. What would be the odds of me getting in?

Gee the AFL logo on the edge of the centre square is almost closer to the boundary line now.
Started the season right against the line, then it moved to a few metres down, and the Indigenous Round logo is even lower!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back