Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Your agenda is clear, however I disagree, there is room for both sports/events with a small serve of common sense & goodwill. It is exactly the same with Rugby Union at Subi, common sense & goodwill. IF the AFL dont move at Etihad , the Vic Govt will bulldoze all concerned to clear the MCG for a big event in the business of sport with its flow on to the local economy. That the A-League stuffed up on the date is no reason to apply common sense & goodwill.

Just for the record Soccers attempt to ride roughshod over the AFL & NRL to play the World Cup in Aus was disgraceful. I dont think Soccer ever gave a straight answer to whether or not these competitions were supposed to close down, what a joke.

My agenda is solely to get FFA to acknowledge contracts and stop goddamn whining when they cant get their own way.

My agenda is solely to get FFA to acknowledge contracts and stop goddamn whining when they cant get their own way.

After the World Cup bid debacle I understand your sentiment BUT this is a potential win/win, good PR, a better deal from Etihad negotiated & positive response from both the Vic Govt & Melbourne City Council to be returned in deals involving the MCC.
The sports community acknowledges true leadership from Australias #1 sporting body.

Whilst it isn't the AFL itself it must be noted that the FFA moved a Melbourne derby at AAMI park so Collingwood was able to host a fan day for the 2010 GF replay. And that was at short notice and at a venue that was built off the back of Melbourne Victory funding it with long term contracts.

AFL could turn thus into a PR win for them and do a deal with ES management. Calton vs GWS could be easily moved as it wouldn't draw a large crowd - if I was the AFL I'd offer thIs to ES and demand a better deal on future stadium negotiations.

But to sit stubbornly and refuse to budge would look silly and alienate all but the most hardcore footy fans.

After the World Cup bid debacle I understand your sentiment BUT this is a potential win/win, good PR, a better deal from Etihad negotiated & positive response from both the Vic Govt & Melbourne City Council to be returned in deals involving the MCC.
The sports community acknowledges true leadership from Australias #1 sporting body.

If the Vic Government decides to force this game to the MCG, then the AFL will no doubt be wanting a reassessment, as this is getting more and more frequent.

I dont think Etihad will budge.

If the Vic Government decides to force this game to the MCG, then the AFL will no doubt be wanting a reassessment, as this is getting more and more frequent.

Best solution is playing the GF on Friday Night at the G. No reschedule required.

Whilst it isn't the AFL itself it must be noted that the FFA moved a Melbourne derby at AAMI park so Collingwood was able to host a fan day for the 2010 GF replay. And that was at short notice and at a venue that was built off the back of Melbourne Victory funding it with long term contracts.

Youve said this in the other thread, and its not true there either. The AFL staged a fan day when the FFA moved its derby to clear the air for itself. Ive quoted Lyal Gorman, then CEO of the FFA as saying as much in that thread.

And Victory funding it with long term contracts? Dont make me laugh. They play their bigger games at Etihad. League and soccer are based there and actually play games there, not to mention the Melbourne football club.

The deal at the MCG for footy is nothing special - Etihad is worse, thats why the AFL should do a deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure it would have involved renegotiation of contracts and a reduction in rent with that cost being borne by the AFL.

The trial ends before the start of the next AFL season, applies to A-League & Big Bang only. Amazing that some seem to believe its a done deal by the AFL. More spin by the Dud.

The trial ends before the start of the next AFL season, applies to A-League & Big Bang only. Amazing that some seem to believe its a done deal by the AFL. More spin by the Dud.

bzzt. Wrong on all counts this time.

1. According to Stadium management they trialled this in the last few weeks of the footy season (According to the Heraldsun)

A trial of the new system was held in the final weeks of this footy season, but Etihad Stadium chief Paul Sergeant said the “unprecedented’’ move would now be extended indefinitely.

“In the spirit of ‘fan engagement’ and working with the AFL and other hirers, we are willing to see how it plays out,’’ he said.

But with Melbourne stadiums and the AFL this year under fire for exorbitant food prices such as $6.60 for a bucket of chips at Etihad Stadium and $5.60 at the MCG, Mr Sergeant said times were changing.

“We trialled it and we are going to continue it,’’ he said.

“And I think until such time as we think someone abuses it ... it’s OK.’’

And

Big Bash cricket fans and A-League soccer supporters will be among the first treated to the new test policy, with AFL crowds allowed to take their choice of tucker into the ground when the season starts in April.

ref: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...chips-and-coffee/story-fni0fit3-1227147803752

2. The AFL hasnt taken credit for this anywhere. Every quote has come from the stadium or its management. No comment from Mclachlan. No press release from the AFL. Its just co-incidence that all this happened after Mclachlan said they would address catering issues though.

bzzt. Wrong on all counts this time.

1. According to Stadium management they trialled this in the last few weeks of the footy season (According to the Heraldsun)

And

ref: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...chips-and-coffee/story-fni0fit3-1227147803752

2. The AFL hasnt taken credit for this anywhere. Every quote has come from the stadium or its management. No comment from Mclachlan. No press release from the AFL. Its just co-incidence that all this happened after Mclachlan said they would address catering issues though.

I based my comments on a radio interview with Etihad chief (ABC) & he was clear the trial applied to this summer A-League & BBL & decision would be made before the AFL season started. I suggest my hearing trumps your reading?

BUT you are right, its not the AFL cheering its their cheerleaders ie the Melbourne footy media - chalk it up Wookie, just poor communication on my part.

I based my comments on a radio interview with Etihad chief (ABC) & he was clear the trial applied to this summer A-League & BBL & decision would be made before the AFL season started. I suggest my hearing trumps your reading?

BUT you are right, its not the AFL cheering its their cheerleaders ie the Melbourne footy media - chalk it up Wookie, just poor communication on my part.

Actually in a way we are both right if the twitter remarks are true. They are running a trial still on commercial food, but have finished the one with home food

Remove this Banner Ad

Back