Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

An attack of the sads because games are not scheduled at your preferred venues equals precious princess material
OR
just underlines how the demand for footy in Melbourne exceeds the supply ( & womens footy might further exacerbate this problem)

No, it simply means people prefer one stadium over another. Its that simple. Anything else said here reeks of anti victorian rubbish.

No, it simply means people prefer one stadium over another. Its that simple. Anything else said here reeks of anti victorian rubbish.

Wakey wakey, Melbourne fans dont think enough of their footy team to travek 1.5km - FACT. If you care to characterise it as anti Vic FACT,ok.
Its a clear example of supply exceeding demand, simple !

Wakey wakey, Melbourne fans dont think enough of their footy team to travek 1.5km - FACT. If you care to characterise it as anti Vic FACT,ok.

Melbourne fans can go to any of 45 games at the MCG or 45 games at Etihad during a season. Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn all play their biggest games at the MCG - and the crowd figures show the fans prefer to go there. This isnt rocket science.

Apparently you think you can make people like a stadium by believing they have to, just because folks in other states have no choice. Yes its anti victorian rubbish. Seriously they HAVE to like the stadium when they have a choice? Give me a break...

I just dont get the hate for etihad. I love the ground.
With Victorian crowds being so poor over the last few years, including prime Friday night games, when its brought up as an issue the answer from the talking heads in the media is that no one likes to go there. How the hell doesnt anyone want to go there. Its in the CBD. It is undercover and free of rain and wind. The seating is awesome to watch footy from. So how the hell is not supported. Excuses like "its not our home ground" or "Collingwood supporters prefer the MCG" etc etc just seem pathetic.
My personal view is it isnt the stadiums fault, but rather a supporter problem.
I personally prefer Docklands over the MCG, considering what Melbourne weather is like.

I know Victorians are used to that cold but don't get why people would rather be freezing at the 'G at a night game rather than warm at Docklands.

Having said that if both venues were in Brisbane I'd prefer the G

Just went to Adelaide Oval on the weekend - out of all the AFL venues I've been at Docklands and the MCG are easily the best

It does if you dont like the stadium.
You would think your love of you team would be more important that if they are playing at one great stadium or another great stadium.
I guess this shows which teams are frontrunners and whos arnt.
How many members does the Pies and Hawks have? Yet they struggle to get 25,000 to a great undercover stadium with the BEST viewing for supporters there is.

I personally prefer Docklands over the MCG, considering what Melbourne weather is like.

I know Victorians are used to that cold but don't get why people would rather be freezing at the 'G at a night game rather than warm at Docklands.

Having said that if both venues were in Brisbane I'd prefer the G

Just went to Adelaide Oval on the weekend - out of all the AFL venues I've been at Docklands and the MCG are easily the best
Totally agree. However the G with a small crowd is cold, empty and depressing. 70,000 plus and it rocks. No other stadium can match it.
If Docklands was in Adelaide or Perth it would be sold out every game. Rain, hail or shine.

Agree totally. Crows supporters used to rock up to AAMI in winter with no protection from the elements, no public transport and no before or after game places to go.
For people to think they have a good arguement that they dont really like a great stadium like Docklands so they dont go is just rubbish.
What they are saying is that they dont love their club enough to have to go to a state of the art undercover stadium in the centre of the city to watch them play.
Poor.

Melbourne fans can go to any of 45 games at the MCG or 45 games at Etihad during a season. Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn all play their biggest games at the MCG - and the crowd figures show the fans prefer to go there. This isnt rocket science.

Apparently you think you can make people like a stadium by believing they have to, just because folks in other states have no choice. Yes its anti victorian rubbish. Seriously they HAVE to like the stadium when they have a choice? Give me a break...
Why wouldnt Melbourne supporters just go to the matches their club plays at? What the hell does every other team playing have to do with it?
Their team will play maybe 15 or so games a year in Melbourne.

Agree totally. Crows supporters used to rock up to AAMI in winter with no protection from the elements, no public transport and no before or after game places to go.
For people to think they have a good arguement that they dont really like a great stadium like Docklands so they dont go is just rubbish.
What they are saying is that they dont love their club enough to have to go to a state of the art undercover stadium in the centre of the city to watch them play.
Poor.

They also had no where else to watch Adelaide play. And it was one of 12 times they could see the team play live in a year.

And its not a good argument, or even an argyument. Its folks from outsdie Victoria in this thread trying to force people to like something they dont want to. Victorians dont have to like Etihad, you cant make them. What they are saying is they dont like Etihad stadium. I really dont get how you think you can just build a stadium and make people like it, when they have a stadium they prefer just up the road.i

Totally agree. However the G with a small crowd is cold, empty and depressing. 70,000 plus and it rocks. No other stadium can match it.
If Docklands was in Adelaide or Perth it would be sold out every game. Rain, hail or shine.
Went to Melbourne v GWS last year and found that to be exactly the case.

Also went to Hawthorn v Richmond this year, while the G was rocking I couldn't stop thinking about how cold it was!

They also had no where else to watch Adelaide play. And it was one of 12 times they could see the team play live in a year.

And its not a good argument, or even an argyument. Its folks from outsdie Victoria in this thread trying to force people to like something they dont want to. Victorians dont have to like Etihad, you cant make them. What they are saying is they dont like Etihad stadium. I really dont get how you think you can just build a stadium and make people like it, when they have a stadium they prefer just up the road.i
They support their team, not the stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Crows played 3/4 of their games at the AO and the other quarter at AAMI, and then quarter of their away games at each venue (7 home, 3 away at AO and 4 home, 3 away at AAMI), which games do you reckon would get the crowds? That's kinda the comparison. Except IMO there's not much reason to dislike Etihad so much you don't rock up there.

I'm not Victorian, and I have a strong dislike for Docklands. I spoke about this on the Adelaide board yesterday. It is showing its age and is completely under resourced by the current owners, who are only looking to make a profit out of it before it is handed over the the AFL.

When the AFL take ownership, they should knock it down, sell the land to residential, which would be worth a mint! and build a new smaller boutique that meets the needs of people in the 21st century.

WA fans have one stadium to play at. So do South Australians. Victorians have two, thus a choice. Victorians no doubt do realise they have two of the best stadiums, they just prefer one over the other.
From 1987 to 2000, the WACA averaged 23,700. Subiaco Oval got about 25/26,000 on average – obviously more, but is it that more? It doesn't seem like that same mentality entirely exists.

I'm not Victorian, and I have a strong dislike for Docklands. I spoke about this on the Adelaide board yesterday. It is showing its age and is completely under resourced by the current owners, who are only looking to make a profit out of it before it is handed over the the AFL.

When the AFL take ownership, they should knock it down, sell the land to residential, which would be worth a mint! and build a new smaller boutique that meets the needs of people in the 21st century.
I've never had an issue with the amenities. Never waited more than about four minutes for some food, never had to queue for a leak... the GSS at the G is probably slightly worse, and the newest parts are barely seven years older than Etihad's. I really don't think it's danky or old in any way. Then again, I primarily went to Subiaco Oval as a kid...

The AFL has said recently its not happy with the condition of etihad given the contract specifically requires the stadium to be maintained at state of the art levels ahead of the handover. One would imagine that this will affect the amount the AFL woulkd pay in an early buyout.

No way they sell the stadium.

The AFL has said recently its not happy with the condition of etihad given the contract specifically requires the stadium to be maintained at state of the art levels ahead of the handover. One would imagine that this will affect the amount the AFL woulkd pay in an early buyout.

No way they sell the stadium.

I'm not sure why Gillon said that. In the last 12 months they've populated the concourses with HD television screens, put in place free wifi for spectators and added LED advertising screens around the ground on the bottom two levels. What else can they do to keep the stadium in world class condition that's realistic?

Melbourne footy fans just like to complain about Etihad for some stupid reason. Yes footy is more expensive at the stadium than the MCG but thats what happens in small venues. Same happens in A-League. Etihad is the cheaper venue to attend matches compared to AAMI Park if you are a Victory fan who pays at the gate. Melbourne Derby at AAMI Park will set you back $10-20 more than the Docklands one.

Stadium is in its Prime at the moment I think. Not only is the surface now one of the better ones in the comp, its got wifi, TV screens everywhere so you don't miss a moment, other matches shown at the breaks on the tv screens. Was great being able to watch the last 5min of the last Showdown at half time in the St Kilda v Richmond match. Also, AFL clubs have more freedom in using the technology the stadium offers.

A major improvement is also finally using the rectangle seating for a-league matches at every Victory match outside AFL season.

Too much concrete, not enough carpet or padded seats

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Melbourne footy fans just like to complain about Etihad for some stupid reason. Yes footy is more expensive at the stadium than the MCG but thats what happens in small venues.
Isn't it the same price? $17 concession, $25 adult?

From 1987 to 2000, the WACA averaged 23,700. Subiaco Oval got about 25/26,000 on average – obviously more, but is it that more? It doesn't seem like that same mentality entirely exists.
WACA almost only held night games which would have helped boost its attendances. Personally I never went there for footy, only cricket since 95.

Isn't it the same price? $17 concession, $25 adult?
While technically the same minimum price, you do usually end up spending more at the smaller stadium. If a medium to high crowd expected, general admission either aren't available or you'd want to get there early, hence why some may be inclined to purchase a reserved seat, which are more expensive than the mcg for similar seats. At the mcg, you can usually rock up 5 minutes before the game and grab a general admin seat on level 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back