Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Roof closed and seats out for Wallabies v Lions Test on Saturday night. I asked on Twitter and the Stadium said that with AFL the next day they couldn't move the seats. Not sure if the ARU would have requested it anyway due to the huge crowd expected - the extra few thousand seats would definitely sell.
Even if there wasn't AFL the next day you'd think they'd opt for crowd maximisation and leave the seats out. I suppose if they were keen to put the seats in, they could always sell the seats for higher prices in order to make up (profit wise) for the -5000 seats being made unavailable.

Even if there wasn't AFL the next day you'd think they'd opt for crowd maximisation and leave the seats out. I suppose if they were keen to put the seats in, they could always sell the seats for higher prices in order to make up (profit wise) for the -5000 seats being made unavailable.
I think the excuse of AFL being the day after is pansy. ANZ Stadium chucks their seats in an out with 24 hours between games easily - look at the AFL & NRL finals played there on consecutive days last year.

I think the excuse of AFL being the day after is pansy. ANZ Stadium chucks their seats in an out with 24 hours between games easily - look at the AFL & NRL finals played there on consecutive days last year.

ANZ is a more modern stadium than Docklands & regularly move their seating - not sure a direct comparison to support your claim is valid, are you?

ANZ is a more modern stadium than Docklands & regularly move their seating - not sure a direct comparison to support your claim is valid, are you?
Etihad was opened in 2000. ANZ was reconfigured post-Olympics in 2003. They use pretty much the same technology to move their seating forwards and backwards. How is it not a valid comparison? The only difference is that Etihad is an oval stadium capable of having a rectangular-mode, and ANZ is essentially a rectangular stadium capable of having an oval mode. If one stadium can re-configure from Rugby to Aussie Rules or vice-versa overnight, so can the other.

While most events at ANZ are rectangular sports, it's default mode is actually the oval mode to keep the grass on the wings alive. The seats get moved the night before an event.

If ANZ can do it than Etihad should as well, but with the reduction in capacity by having the seats in, it probably makes more economic sense to have the seats in oval mode for the rugby.

While most events at ANZ are rectangular sports, it's default mode is actually the oval mode to keep the grass on the wings alive. The seats get moved the night before an event.

If ANZ can do it than Etihad should as well, but with the reduction in capacity by having the seats in, it probably makes more economic sense to have the seats in oval mode for the rugby.
Agreed. Better viewing at ANZ from the "wings" when the seats are in rectangular mode I'd guess...they look to be designed to run along the sideline of a pitch, but work for an oval.

1. it was a condition of the Collective Bargaining Agreement signed with the Players that the stands would not be moved due to surface concerns during the AFL season for a period of 3 years. That ended in 2012.
2. ANZ Stadiums surface is for crap.

Great for AFL.
Great for T20, possibly better than the MCG for the short form of the game.
Terrible for just about anything else, especially those sports requiring a rectangular field.
Wow, sorry they cant cater for all sports.

please......:rolleyes:

Those Lions fans finally have a few days to wash those red shirts. Seriously, did they ever take them off?

The effect of that game in attracting tourism was obvious to anyone in the Melbourne CBD over the weekend, visible & noisy - I trust the noise didn't offend Melburnians ears, gosh, some cant even handle booing at a footy game.

The effect of that game in attracting tourism was obvious to anyone in the Melbourne CBD over the weekend, visible & noisy - I trust the noise didn't offend Melburnians ears, gosh, some cant even handle booing at a footy game.

They were seriously outnumbering pedestrians in some patches. The pubs in Docklands and up towards Parliament would've been doing a roaring (lol) trade.

It did get me thinking about the World Cup, though. I mean, if you combined that with the tennis and multiplied it by four weeks and 31 other countries... it'd just be huge. Melbourne genuinely suits those kinds of crowds, and plenty of people seem to enjoy the atmosphere (as much as lagered up overseas lad trips aren't my thing – at all). Bit depressing we'll probably never see one here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were seriously outnumbering pedestrians in some patches. The pubs in Docklands and up towards Parliament would've been doing a roaring (lol) trade.

It did get me thinking about the World Cup, though. I mean, if you combined that with the tennis and multiplied it by four weeks and 31 other countries... it'd just be huge. Melbourne genuinely suits those kinds of crowds, and plenty of people seem to enjoy the atmosphere (as much as lagered up overseas lad trips aren't my thing – at all). Bit depressing we'll probably never see one here.

Agree, a real pity, i did post on the crowds thread, i remember one year around Melbourne Cup time that the International Rules as well as WC rugby was played in Melbourne ( hope i am getting times right).

Fantastic atmosphere due to the Irish crowd at the IR, and IMO a much better game than Rugby the night before.

The Melbourne Cup had a great Irish flavour that year as well ( Dermot Weld)

Unlike most people these days i actually still like the IR.

Unfortunately for our game, as great as it is, there is no platform like Rugby for touring other countries, the IR does not seem to get the punters up and going like the Brits, but lets face it, Brits are great supporters of their teams.

However IMO there is quite a market for people interested in our game from O/S particuarly when things like Lions tours are going on, most are curious to see our game, organising it is a different matter though.

I've posted about attracting tourism on the new WA stadium site & it doesnt seem to register as a factor - even 1000 seats provided for non Perth teams visiting would improve the case for a bigger better u-bewt facility. Apologies for using the Etihad forum to beat my drum albeit to Silent Alarm :confused:

Seems like they're Americanising the sport.

Now we know the real reason behind Andy's trip to the US.

Seems like they're Americanising the sport.

Now we know the real reason behind Andy's trip to the US.
There's been electronic signage at AAMI for 3 or so years now. 'Gabba, SCG, ANZ, Pattersons, Simmonds have as well.
Would be even more useful at a ground with 2-3 matches most rounds and different home teams with different advertising needs.
I'm surprised neither of the Melbourne grounds have electronic fence signage.

Would've been better off investing in a scoreboard so we don't have to read off that pissy little strip at the bottom of the video screen.
Not a fan of Etihad's screens at all, need to do it more like the 'G.

Would've been better off investing in a scoreboard so we don't have to read off that pissy little strip at the bottom of the video screen.
Not a fan of Etihad's screens at all, need to do it more like the 'G.

Etihad's screens were great when it first opened, but they do look very much straight out of 2000, and the ground should look at replacing them. Maybe if Etihad complete the electronic signage on the second (maybe even the third) tiers, they may make part of it a scoreboard. It also means they could have graphics for when each club kicks a goal (like what the MCG did in the finals last year with their scoreboards - not sure if they kept that going this season or not)

Etihad's screens were great when it first opened, but they do look very much straight out of 2000, and the ground should look at replacing them. Maybe if Etihad complete the electronic signage on the second (maybe even the third) tiers, they may make part of it a scoreboard. It also means they could have graphics for when each club kicks a goal (like what the MCG did in the finals last year with their scoreboards - not sure if they kept that going this season or not)
Apparently they trialled new replay screens at Etihad a few weeks ago. That's all I know about it but I saw Etihad Stadium tweet about it.

The little scoreboards at the MCG have had a goal animation for a while now, and now those electronic signs at Etihad on Level 2 behind the goals have the same animation now.

Apparently they trialled new replay screens at Etihad a few weeks ago. That's all I know about it but I saw Etihad Stadium tweet about it.
It was still there last night. The old one is still there behind it.

One of the things that annoyed me last night was that as soon as it went into time on they had on the video boards advertising (Heinz big read TIME ON or something like that) Even while there was play!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back