FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh.

Not a huge fan of the finale. A letdown from the lofty heights of last week.

What's the deal with two cybermen being able to keep their emotions, but the rest of the horde not? The potential risk of a cybermen uprising wasn't communicated well at all.

The Doctor falling into the Tardis was cringeworthy.

Michelle Gomez was brilliant as Missy.

I thought that the season as a whole was passable, but had some really disappointing moments.

I like Capaldi in the role and think he could be better with a new supporting cast.

I enjoyed the finale I must admit, though I don't think it would stand up to multiple views.

I thought that Missy was under-utilised. The idea of the Master and the Cybermen collaborating would have worked well as a four part episode but that isn't done any more.

The idea of the Cybermen being subservient to the Master reduced their threat even further, though they did send my three year old scurrying out of the room most of the time.

I assume we will have one last hurrah for Clara in the Christmas special as that episode is being talked about as Coleman's last episode.

Moffat set up Pink still looking after Clara as love being a promise not an emotion. So presumably the Brigadier was one of the Cybermen who attacked Air Force One and then saw his daughter falling towards the ground as a result of the Master's intervention and that triggered his rebellion against the Cybermen conditioning. Pity it wasn't explained well but it was quite obvious that there would be some influence from the Brigadier given his portrait was on the plane and his daughter talked about his dream of receiving a salute from the Doctor.

Loved the finale, best use of the finale ever ..

I actually think.the episode will stand up to multiple viewings, unlike the garbage RTD/Tennant season finales like Last of The Time Lords and Journey's End, which was self-indulgent fan wank.

At the very least, Moffat deserves credit for trying something different and getting viewers out of their comfort zone.

Tennant's Doctor was far too much of a sanctimonious boy scout, much prefer Capaldi's much darker and more alien interpretation (still undecided if i like him or Matt Smith more)

Samuel Anderson is such a terrific actor, what a performance!

Yeah unfortunately I think the episode wont get any better on re-watching, more likely worse.

Don't mind Missy even though I wished they just made her another Timelord, even still imo it's pretty embarrassing for Simm's version Master that a woman managed to do a far better job..

John Simm was so terribly shite as The Master, he made Eric Roberts Master have gravitas in comparison.. Mind you, he had terrible material to work with ..

John Simm was so terribly shite as The Master, he made Eric Roberts Master have gravitas in comparison.. Mind you, he had terrible material to work with ..
Yeah I don't have a problem with him as an actor generally but he was written terribly and probably miscast imo.

I cant believe this series is already at its finale, went far to quick for me...
There was no mid-season break bullshit this time around. BBC America's idea. Every show's doing it in the US. Glad Doctor Who got back to normal at last.

Peter Capaldi - Awesome

Michelle Gomez - Awesome

Why do the Cybermen speak like the Judoon?

Was this the most useless iteration of the Cybermen in Doctor Who history? They did and achieved literally nothing.

"Permission to squee"? The *? You can't go killing people like Osgood and Kate in one scene then have lines like that in the next. Decide on the tone of the episode ffs Moffat.

Smiled like a dork every time I saw the painting of the Brigadier. But was MAKING HIM A ******* CYBERMAN really the best way to end his "time" on Doctor Who? Really?

Note: Danny Pink died on his way back to his home planet. Now let us never speak of him again.

6.5/10. Largely carried by Capaldi and Gomez.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The very loud mechanical clunking sound they make as they stomp about drives me absolutely nuts.
It's at least consistent. I in no way understand the decision to completely change the voice of the Cybermen from what it's been every time since 2005.

Well that was so average.

The Doctor stumbled around not having a clue and not knowing what to do until Danny.

What a waste of last weeks episode and build up.

Glad Clara is gone and don't care where she came from, I mean the world is turning to Cybermen and she phones the doctor and emotionally blackmails him into helping her. It's all about her ffs.

Hopefully Capaldi can take the limelight from now on and restore some serious credibility to the show.

Smiled like a dork every time I saw the painting of the Brigadier. But was MAKING HIM A ******* CYBERMAN really the best way to end his "time" on Doctor Who? Really?

Yeah that was waay to cheesy.

About the only thing they could have done worse would be to bring Sarah Jane back as a bloody Cyberman..

Last edited:
Yeah that was waay to cheesy.

About the only thing they could have done worse would be to bring Sarah Jane back a bloody Cyberman..
Why not just make Tom Baker a Dalek and be done with it.

I wish so hard that the doctor had captured missy and was taking her back to a time lord trial thing but along the way she had set up a series of speed bumps that derail the tardis/send it away leaving the two of them to bounce off each other.

She was so much fun if albeit a bit crazy for the sake of crazy at times. I'd rather a more flippant and reckless missy who would take the doctor somewhere they will both die unless he comes to terms with part of himself.

Well that was so average.

The Doctor stumbled around not having a clue and not knowing what to do until Danny.

What a waste of last weeks episode and build up.

Glad Clara is gone and don't care where she came from, I mean the world is turning to Cybermen and she phones the doctor and emotionally blackmails him into helping her. It's all about her ffs.

Hopefully Capaldi can take the limelight from now on and restore some serious credibility to the show.

I read in the Herald-Sun last week that Jenna-Louise Coleman has apparently changed her mind and wants to return to Dr Who for at least half of the next season. Here's a report from another outlet:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00077611.html

Steven Moffatt floats the old chestnut of the Doctor become a woman in the next regeneration.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...xt-doctor-who-be-a-woman-20141210-123ubp.html

I read in the Herald-Sun last week that Jenna-Louise Coleman has apparently changed her mind and wants to return to Dr Who for at least half of the next season. Here's a report from another outlet:

Steven Moffatt floats the old chestnut of the Doctor become a woman in the next regeneration.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...xt-doctor-who-be-a-woman-20141210-123ubp.html
Regarding the Jenna thing, she keeps changing her mind. It's getting annoying now. One month she wants to leave, and then the next she'll say she wants to stay, only for a few weeks to pass and she's back where she started.

Great.

It would have to be a great actress to make a female doctor work.

Either that or she would have to be extremely sexy. Lol

Anyone with both?

FFS with the Female (or Black) Doctor. Missy should have been a female Timelord, not the Master (the Rani would have been perfect). If they want a Female Timelord then have one who somehow survived the Time War, be an (equal) companion of the Doctor for half a season, then see if it survives as it's own spin off. Not relying on the Doctor Who fan base to hit every PC target.

The Christmas Special was on tonight. To be honest, apart from the very final scene (which I thought very out-of-character), I thought it was a brilliant episode and the best of Capaldi's turn as the Doctor.

The plot borrowed heavily from "Alien" with "dream crabs" substituted for "face huggers", but Moffat was savvy enough to reference "Alien" directly in the episode. The heavy promotion of Santa Claus' appearance in the episode suggested a very saccharine episode, but apart from one particular scene between Danny Pink's memory and Clara Oswald, this was a terrific episode, with a great amount of tension built into it. It was scary enough to send my two youngest children straight to bed, while my oldest was hooked throughout the episode.

But I had the feeling that the very final scene was tacked on when Coleman changed her mind and decided to stay on for the next season. The previous scene, where the Doctor and Clara were exchanging pleasantries with Clara in her 80s/90s (she said it was 62 years after they last met) seemed fit and proper for a send-off, and the power of the scene was undercut by the following scene.

There were also other movies listed in Shona's Christmas Day list which also heavily influenced the episode.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back