FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoniverse cancelled :(

http://www.thehubproductions.com/Events/Whoniverse/

Matt has provided us with the following statement at this time:
I am deeply saddened to have to advise that I will not be able to come to Australia for the Hub Productions' Whoniverse event. Although I wish it were otherwise, due to a personal family emergency it's not possible for me to leave England at this time. I truly regret the situation, and the disappointment it must be causing, but I'm hoping to be able to reschedule as soon as possible for the future; I look forward to see you all then.

Not everyones bag, but will be taking this in

If you’ve ever wondered what real scientists have to say about the sci-fi world of Doctor Who, now’s your chance.

BBC Worldwide Australia & New Zealand, in collaboration with RiAus, has created The Science of Doctor Who, a live stage event which will be touring Australia from April to June in order to explore Doctor Who’s scientific mysteries such as time travel, regeneration and teleportation.

The event will be hosted by DWCA favourite Rob Lloyd, who will be joined by fellow fans Dr Martin White, a particle astrophysicist at the University of Adelaide; Dr Allie Ford, a science communicator at Monash University; Dr Alan Duffy, an astrophysicist at the University of Melbourne; and David Jennens, a physicist from the University of Melbourne working at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

http://www.dwca.org.au/?q=blog/science-doctor-who-tour-australia

Last edited:

I must be one of the very few that like Eccleston the best out of the revived series.
I did quite like him but I think my opinion is now tainted by his post-DW attitude.

I get that he had issues with them behind the scenes, but playing The Doctor has post-role obligations and the fact that he just doesn't want anything to do with it irks me a bit. If he had even come back to shoot one final scene so that we got the Hurt-Eccleston regeneration properly, that would have been enough.

but playing The Doctor has post-role obligations and the fact that he just doesn't want anything to do with it irks me a bit.
It's disappointing and frustrating for us fans him not being in stuff like the anniversary by why should the man be 'obligated' to any return appearances? If he wants to move on with his career and to distance himself from the show that's up to him, it's also one of the worst roles for potential typecasting.

It's disappointing and frustrating for us fans him not being in stuff like the anniversary by why should the man be 'obligated' to any return appearances? If he wants to move on with his career and to distance himself from the show that's up to him, it's also one of the worst roles for potential typecasting.
Doctor Who isn't a new show. There is also a history of bringing actors back and the role of The Doctor has obligations after you finish.

If he didn't like that, or was afraid of being typecast, he didn't need to accept the role.

Matt Smith will always be MY Doctor.. incidentally it's sad that a 51 year old show is the only creative writing on TV at the moment

Controversial opinion: Far, far too many Dalek stories lately. They've lost their impact given we see them every 6 episodes or so.
Agreed. And I think many do. I wouldn't mind seeing only 1-2 of the "big three" (Dalesk/Cybermen/Master) each series, with one being the more common. Even the occasional zero, with "classic" series ones trickled in as had happened with the ice warriors and zygons recently - but not too many too quickly.

The angels have done their dash for a while too I reckon. They were great in Blink, but they need a very strong story to back them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MOAR Daleks.. and I love it when they say Doctor Who?

It really is the oldest question in the universe.. hidden in plain sight

Who are we? it's the question science religion philosophy and psychology tries to answer by answering everything else

Last edited:
I must be one of the very few that like Eccleston the best out of the revived series.

I thought Eccleston's Doctor could have taken the series in a very interesting direction had Eccleston chosen to stay on with the revived series for more than a season. Hopefully it would have at least deferred, if not completely avoided, the godawful "love story" between Billie Piper's Rose and David Tennant's Doctor, as Eccleston's Doctor was still clearly coping with the aftermath of the Time War. I very much enjoyed Eccleston's portrayal of the Doctor, particularly when he put Adam Mitchell back in his box.

Doctor Who isn't a new show. There is also a history of bringing actors back and the role of The Doctor has obligations after you finish.

If he didn't like that, or was afraid of being typecast, he didn't need to accept the role.
Sorry but the man as a professional actor doesn't have any 'obligation' to fans to come back to Dr Who for anything, it's silly stuff like this that gives people that love the show the stereotype of Simpsons 'comic book store guy' style characters.

Sorry but the man as a professional actor doesn't have any 'obligation' to fans to come back to Dr Who for anything, it's silly stuff like this that gives people that love the show the stereotype of Simpsons 'comic book store guy' style characters.
Sorry, but like it or not, the role does come with obligations. Once you accept the role of the Doctor, you're agreeing to that. If you don't want that, don't accept the role.

The same is true now if you take a role in the Marvel universe, you have to know it is different, and people will expect you to reprise that role if needed. Luckily, I don't expect his character from Thor will be returning.

Every Doctor has returned post-role except him.

Sorry, but like it or not, the role does come with obligations. Once you accept the role of the Doctor, you're agreeing to that. If you don't want that, don't accept the role.

The same is true now if you take a role in the Marvel universe, you have to know it is different, and people will expect you to reprise that role if needed. Luckily, I don't expect his character from Thor will be returning.

Would say that was the case with the classic series and the modern series as we know it now but when the series came back with Eccleston in '05 there was nothing to say it would last more then one season and wasn't even taken serious in coming back until an actor of Eccleston's quality got on board. So while the role now clearly comes with obligations and any actor taking the role needs to be aware of that but that was not necessarily going to be the case when Eccleston took the role.

Would say that was the case with the classic series and the modern series as we know it now but when the series came back with Eccleston in '05 there was nothing to say it would last more then one season and wasn't even taken serious in coming back until an actor of Eccleston's quality got on board. So while the role now clearly comes with obligations and any actor taking the role needs to be aware of that but that was not necessarily going to be the case when Eccleston took the role.
I can understand that argument, but even in the 96 movie that really bridges between the classic series and the new McCoy came back to allow a regeneration to McGann.

At the very least he would have had to have expected that some time in the future they would want to complete the sequence and show the McGann (expected at the time, later Hurt) to Eccleston regeneration.

Wow talk about a sense of entitlement.

Wow talk about a sense of entitlement.
How is recognising that a role has obligations a 'sense of entitlement'?

Do you feel the same about the post above that assigns those obligations to all the Doctors except Eccleston?

nobody seems to have an argument against this beyond 'comic book guy' and other digs at me personally...great job guys.

How is recognising that a role has obligations a 'sense of entitlement'?

Do you feel the same about the post above that assigns those obligations to all the Doctors except Eccleston?

nobody seems to have an argument against this beyond 'comic book guy' and other digs at me personally...great job guys.
So if we were having this discussion 12 months ago, what would you have had to say about Tom Baker?

lol, just because it's something you've invented in your fanboy mind doesn't mean it exists. It's disappointing he hasn't returned but FFS without him doing very well in the revival role initially the show currently wouldn't even still be alive today.

Hell iirc the greatest Doctor Tom Baker didn't even return to the show until about 12 years after he left which pretty much ruined the 5 Doctors 20th anniversary, but I can understand and respect the reasons the man gave for not coming back for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back