Movie Documentaries to Download?

Remove this Banner Ad

Great recommendation. I caught this on SBS or ABC one night. Detroit is a city that has really fascinated me of late and this doco really captures its rise, fall and rebirth very well.

These are some of my favourites I listed in another doco thread:

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Collapse
Exit Through the Gift Shop
The Thin Blue Line
Senna
The Fog of War
Inside Job
Bowling for Columbine
Loose Change
Man on Wire
The Smashing Machine
Hoop Dreams
Pumping Iron
Devil at your Heels
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
King of Kong
Capturing the Friedmans
Deliver Us from Evil
DIG!

This site is also a good avenue of watching some quickly:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/watch-online/

You got some good ones there, mate. 'Capturing the Friedmans' is quite a movie. Harrowing.

sport ones

30 for 30
hard knocks
americas game
fire in Babylon

other docos

we live in public
the pat tillman story
Bill Cunningham New York
Bobby fischer against the world
The Rockefellars
my musical brain
touching the void

A couple to check out :

I cant remember the exact name but there are a handfull of movies about 9/11 conspiracy theories and conspiracy nuts(mildy interesting and some of the theories these crackpots come up with are worth a laugh).

And if you have foxtel you should definetley check out a doco that recently aired on the nat geo channel called jfk:the lost bullett. ( should have a torrent up somewhere by now).

And one of my favourite docos i have seen to this day is cocaine cowboys if you can get a hold of this you will not be dissapointed.

Trying not to mention ones already posted so:

Inside the firestorm - story of the recent Victorian Bushfires that claimed 200+ lives. Amazing footage of the fires and harrowing tales of survival.

Monty Pyhton: Almost the truth (Lawyers edition)

For the bible tells me so - a doco about how the church has persecuted homosexuals.

Bob Dylan: No Direction Home - when Dylan went electric he changed the world.

Sicko - you will appreciate just how lucky we are to have our health system (flawed though it may be)

The Incredible Human Journey: Learn how primitive man migrated from Africa to Europe a beyond

The Captains - Shatner interviews the Star Trek Captains

The World at War, best documentary series of all time. Planet Earth after that.

As a kid was pretty into reading or watching anything about World War 2. This series was just as comprehensive as it got. I found some of the parts depicting the Eastern Front particularly compelling. Funny how there's millions of movies about America or England but they tend to gloss over that part of the war where most of the huge battles were fought.

The Times of Harvey Milk is probably my favorite doco. So well made.The political and social atmosphere was really captured well in this film. So good I didn't really rate the film Milk when it was released as much as others.

Best one i've seen lately is the survival reenactment gem Into the Void.

One i'm about to watch soon is The Fog of War

The World at War, best documentary series of all time. Planet Earth after that.

The World At War is a must buy DVD set, it's too big, too involving to trust it to a half arsed option, besides the DVD extras are great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great recommendation. I caught this on SBS or ABC one night. Detroit is a city that has really fascinated me of late and this doco really captures its rise, fall and rebirth very well.

These are some of my favourites I listed in another doco thread:

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Collapse
Exit Through the Gift Shop
The Thin Blue Line
Senna
The Fog of War
Inside Job
Bowling for Columbine
Loose Change
Man on Wire
The Smashing Machine
Hoop Dreams
Pumping Iron
Devil at your Heels
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
King of Kong
Capturing the Friedmans
Deliver Us from Evil
DIG!

This site is also a good avenue of watching some quickly:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/watch-online/

I googled "best doco's ever" when i had run out of ideas for what to download and got a very similar list to this. Most of them are great - another is 'Lake of Fire', though it's not for the faint of heart and is pretty confronting. Is about abortion in the US.

Thanks for all the replies - I went away for two nights and came back expecting to have maybe 10 or so to check out! I'll start watching some soon!

Deliver us from evil is intense. There is a BBC one about the same thing which is equally appalling but great doco.

In general, the bbc are the kinds of documentaries.

Restrepo: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1559549/

Grizzly Man: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427312/

Into Eternity: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1194612/

All quality.

Just re_watched Into Eternity again this afternoon and I'd have to say this movie is unique in almost every way.

The narrative, the direction, the photography and the subject matter all combine to give this an almost horror type feel.

Not to mention the sheer ambition of the Finnish approach to what is conceivably the biggest threat to future generations we will ever devise.

Just an amazing movie on all levels.

As others have mentioned Grizzly Man is a great doco.
Forbidden Lie$ is a great Australian doco about a woman who writes a book that is factually bull s**t about the honour killing of her friend their. She and the doco producers go to Jordan where she (Norma Khouri) tries to prove her story. More lies ensure. Very cunning woman . Very good doco. You don't need to like books to enjoy this doco lol!
SBS play it once in a while too.
The World At War sounds like one to check out.

As others have mentioned Grizzly Man is a great doco.
Forbidden Lie$ is a great Australian doco about a woman who writes a book that is factually bull s**t about the honour killing of her friend their. She and the doco producers go to Jordan where she (Norma Khouri) tries to prove her story. More lies ensure. Very cunning woman . Very good doco. You don't need to like books to enjoy this doco lol!
SBS play it once in a while too.

Yeah, I've seen this. Good doco.

I am a huge fan of 'Restrepo', but I do watch any war documentary. Restrepo is real, seeing the emotions of these kids, its amazing.

For fans of Restrepo, I can reccomend 'Armadillo', its a Danish documentary in the vein of Restrepo. Extremely powerful, again, shows the reality of war and the lasting effect combat has on a soldier.

I will definitately watch 'Into Eternity', looks good.

Fork over knives - a documentary about nutrition. I really enjoy documentaries about this topic. Anyway it talks about the benefits of whole food plant based diet. I will consider going vegan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back