Games Does anyone Play Football Manager?

Remove this Banner Ad

Since theres a few of us that play, would any be interested in a Bigfooty Football Manager Challenge?

I've completed a fair few in my time and they are generally good fun and challenging.

I could find an easy-ish one online. Or create one like the "Alex Ferguson Challenge".

Could be fun! How about a 'win Champions League with Belgian Club, as an example?

Could be fun! How about a 'win Champions League with Belgian Club, as an example?

The problem with that Challenge is that its pretty much Hard core in terms of playing length.

I once did something similar with AIK from Sweden and it took the best part of 15 seasons to build a squad capable of winning in the Champions league. It gets super tedious.

I was thinking more of something like

"The Alex Ferguson Challenge"

Your goal - to break the Old Firm then Break the EPL Domination

Rules -

Must start as semi professional reputation
Must start in Scotland
Cannot Play as Celtic or Rangers
Cannot accept job offers from Celtic or Rangers
Must complete a Scottish domestic double (Leauge + a cup)
Must compete in the knock-out stages of the Champions League at least 3 times.

Once completed can move to English Premier League

Cannot accept Job offers from Manchester United, Arsenal, Manchester City or Chelsea
Must win the English Premier league title twice

Must play with

Minimum English, scottish, french, spanish, germany, italy 1st and 2nd divisons active (e.g Premier League and Championship for England)
Medium Offical Football manager player database

That's a very comprehensive challenge and sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to do an online round (fm 2012 player here), but I live in England so timezone-wise it could be tricky.

The problem with that Challenge is that its pretty much Hard core in terms of playing length.

I once did something similar with AIK from Sweden and it took the best part of 15 seasons to build a squad capable of winning in the Champions league. It gets super tedious.

I was thinking more of something like

"The Alex Ferguson Challenge"

Your goal - to break the Old Firm then Break the EPL Domination

Rules -

Must start as semi professional reputation
Must start in Scotland
Cannot Play as Celtic or Rangers
Cannot accept job offers from Celtic or Rangers
Must complete a Scottish domestic double (Leauge + a cup)
Must compete in the knock-out stages of the Champions League at least 3 times.

Once completed can move to English Premier League

Cannot accept Job offers from Manchester United, Arsenal, Manchester City or Chelsea
Must win the English Premier league title twice

Must play with

Minimum English, scottish, french, spanish, germany, italy 1st and 2nd divisons active (e.g Premier League and Championship for England)
Medium Offical Football manager player database
Love it! Going to start one with St Johnstone tonight

So I've decided that I should do the Challenge about as well since I threw it up there.

After creating the game I asked it to randomly choose one for me, landing on(Getting Celtic the first time :rolleyes: ).

vinyl-decal-sticker-13533.jpg

Now, first thing I always do when I start is to look at the squad. This will shape the tactics I use. The Scottish League is notoriously bad when it comes to slow players, poor fitness, passing, creativity, slow players, bad finishing, bad decision making and did I mention slow players?

Lets have a look at the Dundee Utd first team squad and see what we have to work with!

DUNDEE UNITED SQUAD: GOALKEEPERS

Both very average. Will bring in a back up on loan.
DUNDEE UNITED SQUAD: DEFENDERS

Solid three central defenders, although no pace at all. Two wingbacks that have good pace.
DUNDEE UNITED SQUAD: MIDFIELDERS

Lots of quality in this midfield - Wilo Flood, Gary Mackay-Steven, Richie Ryan, Mark Millar are capable passers and creative. Lacking a decent DM though so will look for one on loan.
DUNDEE UNITED SQUAD: FORWARDS

Wow. Two forwards....lucky both are quite decent and should back a few goals this season! Though will need to bring in another one as backup in case someone goes down injured.

So with the players I have in mind i'll be playing

2013-10-22_00016.jpg

and away against attacking teams

2013-10-22_00017.jpg

So Season under way!

Players in - (Loan) Jose Semedo - DM from Sheffield Wednesday
- (Loan) Derrick Williams - Young Centre back from Aston Villa, just to provide cover
- (Loan) Sam Johnstone - Young Goalkeeper from Manchester United to provide cover
- Bernardo Corradi - 36 yr old Journeyman striker to give some backup

First 4 fixtures

Lech Poznan (UEFA Cup qualifier - AWAY) 1-0 LOSS
Hibs (SPL - HOME) 2-1 WIN
Lech Poznan (UEFA Cup Qualifier - Home) 2-3 LOSS
Dundee (SPL - HOME) 1-0 WIN

Tough games against Lech, played well but finishing and defence really let the team down. Exploited for pace at the back.

An 87 minute strike by Jon Daly gave a deserved 2-1 win over hibs and a late 86th winner by Wilo Flood edged Dundee in the Dundee Derby!

Next 4 Fixtures

St Johnstones (SPL - AWAY) 2-4 WIN
Hearts (SPL - HOME) 1-1 DRAW
Ross County (SPL - HOME) 2-0 WIN
Livingstone (SC - HOME) 3-0 WIN
Inverness (SPL - AWAY) 0-2 WIN
Motherwell (SPL - AWAY) 0-3 WIN
Abeerdeen (SPL - HOME) 1-0 WIN
St Mirren (SPL - AWAY) 1-0 LOSS
Cowdenbeath (LEAGUE CUP - AWAY) 3-1 LOSS

Really disappointed with the Mirren game. Played well but sucker punched. Team is going along well.

Cowdenbeath was a ******* Football Manager special - 20+ shots on goal for 1 goal. Cowdenbeath scored all 3 of their 3 shots. :rolleyes:

Next Fixtures

Cetlic (SPL – HOME) 0-2 LOSS

No match for a Celtic team determined to kick the s**t out of my team. Both fullbacks out injured in the first 15 minutes replaced by two 16 years olds who spent the rest of the game being carved apart at will.

Hibs (SPL – AWAY) 3-2 LOSS
Kilmarnock (SPL – HOME) 1-2 LOSS
Ross County (SPL-AWAY) 0-4 WIN
Motherwell (SPL-HOME)1-2 LOSS

Getting ******* reamed in the goal scoring. Teams scoring at will. Might have to switch tactics.

Next fixtures

Livingstone (Scottish cup – AWAY) 1-0 LOSS

Dundee (SPL-AWAY) 1-4 WIN

Inverness (SPL-HOME) 4-0 WIN

St johnstone (SPL-HOME) 5-1 WIN

Aberdeen (SPL-AWAY) 0-0 DRAW

Celtic (SPL-AWAY)4-1 LOSS

No match for Celtic. Should have been 20-0.

Kilmarnock (SPL-AWAY) 1-2 WIN

Ross County (SPL-HOME) 1-2 LOSS

Two stupid ******* red cards in the first half killed the game.

Motherwell (SPL-AWAY) 1-3 WIN

Hearts (SPL-HOME) 1-3 LOSS

Celtic (SPL-AWAY) 2-1 LOSS

* off you cheating campaigners. Scored the winner in the 94th minute.

Hibs (SPL-HOME) 2-1 WIN

Inverness (SLP-AWAY) 1-1 DRAW

St Mirren (SPL AWAY) 3-1 LOSS

Dundee (SPL-HOME) 3-3 DRAW

St. Johnstone (SPL-AWAY) 0-4 WIN

Aberdeen (SPL-HOME) 2-0 WIN

Champions Group Final Stage

Celtic (HOME) 0-3 LOSS

St Mirren (AWAY) 0-0 DRAW

Hearts (AWAY) 3-1 LOSS

Kilmarnock (HOME) 3-2 WIN

Aberdeen (AWAY) 0-2 WIN

2013-10-23_00001.jpg

Second in the first season, giving me a place in the EURO cup 3rd qualifying stage.

Overall a pretty Shitty season. Dumped out of both cups easily and 13 losses in the league is not good enough.

Top goal scorer: Gavin Gunning (CB) with 14
Most assists: Gary Mackay-Steven with 14
Highest average rating: Jose Semedo 7.54 (33 games)

He's playing FM13, I'm assuming he's holidaying.

No Holidays.

I have a pretty decent gaming rig so processing the the time inbetween games is quite fast. I can run around 20 leagues with the games performance level still being 3 stars.

Takes a few hours to get through a season.

No Holidays.

I have a pretty decent gaming rig so processing the the time inbetween games is quite fast. I can run around 20 leagues with the games performance level still being 3 stars.

Takes a few hours to get through a season.
lol my comps performance is half a star with 6 leagues.

When there are international breaks, it takes me around 20 minutes to get through two weeks lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to start mine again with someone like Hibs or Motherwell. St Johnstone were already over there wage budget and had £0 transfer budget!

338px-Dundee_United_FC_logo.svg.png

Season Two!

Offseason Transfer news -

So what did we learn from the first season?

Basically, i need cover for the fullbacks. When both starters were injured the youth team couldnt cope. I'll also need to look at bringing in another DM since Jose Semedo has gone back to Sheffield Wednesday.

Up front, Bernardo Corradi's year long contract is up and despite hitting a hattrick, was very dissapointing, so he'll be released meaning i'll need atleast another forward. Will probably try and get two.

Of the other two loanee's - Derrick Williams and Sam Johnstone, both had great seasons with Johnstone actually become the Number 1 keeper by seasons end. Both are out of contract at their clubs (Manchester United and Aston Villa) so i'll probably be offering them contracts and seeing if i can convince them to sign on.

Defense wise we really conceeded too many goals so i'll be looking at maybe re-shaping the formation to tighten up at the back.

Pre-season

I arranged for a pre-season tour of Northen Ireland just to get the fitness up. I dont really care what the results are. There were a few 5-0 wins and a lost or two.

Had a game against Celtic to raise a bit of cash. Lost 3-2 trying a new tactic that i might use during the season.Basically it's a standard 4-4-2 with both the CM's dropping down into DM roles but set to be playmakers. I'll post up a screen shot later if someone wants it. I dont know if its going to provide enough goals though, so we'll wait and see.

Pre Season Transfer activity

Board expectations- Title Challenger

Transfer budget = $80,500 (No, you read that correctly)
Wage Budget = $37,500 a week

So this is the life at a Scottish Club and why this challenge is so damn hard. After finishing the season in second place i managed to get $2.1 million in prize money! But the clubs debt was a nice -$1.6 million. So most of the prize money when to wiping that debt out and left the club with a nice balace of +500k odd. This will be eaten away during the season with predicted debt to be around - $1 million again this season's end.

I'm not overly worried about this. If all goes to plan then another second place is on the cards ($2.1 million) and hoping to qualify for the EURO Cup group stage (around + $1 million more + gate attendences and tv money) should result in the club making a nice profit.

Transfer activity

Out

With my transfer kitty being so low and not really useful for picking up any players i'll be looking for free agents and using the money to bolster my wage bill instead.

In
Loans - Dean Santangelo ( GK Manchester United)
Joe Riley (RB Sunderland)
Tyler Blackett (Left Back Manchester United)
James Tevernien (CB/Right back Newcastle)
Liam McAlineden (Forward Wolves)

The trick with loans is to not expect any big loan signings. Look for players that might be able to add cover and dont even bother trying to loan players that are on 5k wages - you'll never be able to afford the wages and even if you can you can only get 1 player on 10k a week vs 5 on 2k a week.

Transfers
Sam Jonhstone (GK Manchester united - free)
Barry Ferguson (DM - free agent)
Derek Williams (Centreback - free agent)
Scott Wootton (DM - Free agent)

All in all a pretty good transfer window. 9 players in to give some depth. Very happpy to have picked up Ferguson even at 35 i still think he'll be a starter. Wootton looks like he could start as well dependng on what formation i choose to use.

Season two gets under way!

Hibs (SPL - AWAY) 2-2 DRAW

One of the worst own goals you will ever see as Dillion decided to dribble pass Johnstone in goal and proceede to run the ball into my own net with no Hibs players within 30 meters. Stone cold penalty decision turned down as well.

EURO CUP 3rd Qualifying round

OB (DENMARK - AWAY) 0-1 WIN

Good solid away performance with Jon Daly winning the game.

OB (DENMARK - HOME) 3-2 WIN

Debut goal from Barry Ferguson and one each from Johnny Russel and Jon Daly was enough to see off OB and progress to the EURO CUP playoff stage. MOTM - Scott Wootton

EURO PLAYOFF DRAW - AaB (DENMARK)

EURO CUP PLAYOFF

AaB (AWAY) 1-1 DRAW

Johnny Russel scored again but another poor back pass resulted in AaB sharing the spoils

Kilmarnock (SPL HOME) 0-1 LOSS

Kilmarnock's goalkeeper showed superhuman ability blocking a number of point blank saves. Dissapointing.

I've switched back to the same tactics i was using last season. Im not liking the 4-4-2 atm.

AaB (HOME) 3-0 WIN (4-1 AGG)

Centre back Brian Mcleen headed in a double in the first half and a Keith Watson 30 yard screamer were enough to send Aab Packing and send Dundee United into the Group Stage of the EURO Cup!

Prize money - $1.13 Million

Dundee (SPL HOME) 2-0 WIN

A very lackluster game with a Barry Douglas free kick and a Mackay-Steven low drive sealing the Derby win.

EURO CUP GROUP STAGE DRAW

GROUP B - CHELSEA
- ROMA
- ESPANYOL
- DUNDEE UNITED

*. Not the best group to have gotten, being seeded 4th was always going to be tough though. I'm just going to focus on trying to get 4 points this time around and try to put in a good showing. Realisiticly its going to be difficult to get a result against any of the teams.

Hamilton (SPL AWAY) 1-3 WIN

Standard win with goals from Mcleen, Russel and Douglas.

EURO CUP GROUP B MATCH DAY 1

Espanyol (AWAY) 0-0 DRAW

A great performance away from home. Solid at the back and a few missed chances. Chelsea and Roma drew 1-1 too so thats a valuable point.

Queen of Sth (League Cup - HOME) 3-1 WIN

Two penalties converted by Mark Millar and Jon Daly and a Gavin Gunning header. MOTM - Mark Millar

St Mirren (SPL AWAY) 0-0 DRAW

Both teams serving up a trash game with a combined total of 4 shots on goal for the entire game.

EURO CUP GROUP B MATCHDAY 2

Roma (HOME) 3-3 DRAW

I decided that im going to need to attack at home if i want to get anything out of this group and we went close to beating Roma!

A johnny Russel double and a single by Jon Daly were almost enough to snatch a win, except Osvaldo was unplayable and scored a hattrick.

Ross County (SPL HOME) 3-1 WIN

The highlight of this game was a superb solo goal by Mackay-Steven. Picking up the ball on the wing near the half way line, he blew down the wing before cutting inside, making space between 3 defenders and slotting home across the County Keeper. Mackey-steven scored again in the second half with Jamie Taniever scoring his first and Dundee's 3rd. MOTM - Mackey-steven

St Johnstone (SPL HOME) 3-1 WIN

Jon Daly netted twice as Dundee made short work of St Johnstone. Johnny Russel picked up the third goal. MOTM - Jon Daly

EURO CUP GROUP B MATCH DAY 3

Chelsea (AWAY) 2-6 WIN

In a night that will go down in EURO CUP history, Dundee United travelled to Stamford Bridge expected to be nothing more that scraps for a Chelsea team boasting the likes Falco, Baines, Lukaku, Lampard, Richards etc but shocked the footballing world with a 4 goal win.

This win was no fluke. With Barry Ferguson dropping deep to cover the back three, and the whole team pressing Chelsea's midfield, The Terrors created chance after chance by causing turnovers.

Barry Douglas netted in the 5 mintue, Johnny Russel again in the 10th minute.

Lukaku pulled one back in the 15th minute but that did nothing to stop the Terrors rampaging all over the park with Russel, Jon Daly and Wootton piling on another 3 goals for a 1-5 first half finish!

After half time Lampard managed to lash home another goal for Chelsea but that was as good as it got as the game was well and truely over. Johnny Russel finished his hattrick towards the end of the game leaving the final score 2-6 and putting United top of the Group.

I ask because I intend to share my Football Manager 2012 story, which represents my best ever fortunes on an FM game (it's not my best ever run on a management sim- that came on Ultimate Soccer Manager, but that's a far easier game).

It begins (obviously) at the 2011/12 season, and as a Liverpool fan, I took on the role of Liverpool manager. At this point the club has only £2 million or so available to spend, so you have to make do with you've got. The likes of Agger, Carragher, Gerrard, Suarez and Reina made up the core of my side and then the likes of Bellamy, Aurellio, added to it. I managed to win the FA Cup in my first season and finished second in the league, only losing three games- but Man Utd only lost once and cruised the title race.

I would however, win three league titles and three Champions League titles until departing the club in the summer of 2018 (along with a smattering of FA and League Cups). I was reasonably pleased with that- I don't generally fair too well at the game so it felt good to actually get a few trophies. I signed the likes of Giuseppe Rossi and Marik Hamsik (Hamsik in particular was a bargain of a player), but I got an offer to become England manager and didn't want to turn that down. I won the 2020 European Championships but faired poorly at the World Cup in 2022 (Quarter finalists, I think). I left England after that and after a year became AC Milan manager.

I wasn't there for long- I won the Copa Italia in 2023 and Seri A in 2024. I was thrashed 8-0 by my old club Liverpool in the 2024 CL final, and midway through the 24/25 season I wasn't 'feeling' it anymore, but I wasn't ready call time on my career so I resigned as AC boss and waited till I felt the urge to play again.

When I resumed I wound up in the middle of the 25/26 season at League 2 Chesterfield- yes, Chesterfield. They were flirting with relegation, but I managed to keep them going, signing a few youngsters and free transfers to bolster the squad- we snuck into the playoff places on the final day of the season and then went and won the playoffs- not something I'd expected but at the time it felt like a better accomplishment than anything else I'd achieved.

Midway into the 26/27 season and I'd gotten Chesterfield into the playoff places of League 1. I was quite happy, but then I received an offer to take charge at Real Madrid. I couldn't say no to that!

When I joined they were some way behind leaders Barcelona and well off the pace of a CL spot. I knew I faced a battle on my hands and two wins and two defeats from my first four games weren't encouraging signs for consistency. However, I stomped Barca at the Nou Camp and went on to chase them down- eventually winning the title with games to spare.

It was the start of FIVE consecutive La Liga titles, though sadly I would only win one CL with them- all too often I'd reach the final only to come unstuck- at the end of my fifth season in charge, and yet another final defeat, I left.

I was in charge of Spain for a year- working toward qualification for either WC or EC- I forget which, However, at the end of that year, Liverpool asked me to take over again. Once again, I couldn't say no.

In my absence Liverpool had only won three more league titles but, after I'd brought them up to 8 CL titles, they'd won five more to rest on 13. My next sequence is what I regard as my best achievement on an FM game by far.

I won the Premiership six times on the trot, and for the first five seasons also won the Champions League- I have never known such a run- I lost my sixth CL final, but I retired my manager feeling very pleased.

I've since started up a new manager within the same game- this time at Spurs. I lead the title race by four points from Arsenal, and my 'old' club Liverpool are struggling a little.

Bizzare facts: at one stage, Manchester City, despite their millions, were relegated. Yup, that's right, relegated. Former Premiership side Wigan have sunk to the Blue Square Premier league. Swansea and Southampton have both qualified for the Champions League. Scotland won the World Cup, as did Mexico. It's been a funny career.

Anyone else got any FM stories?

Great read darth_timon - Chesterfield to Real Madrid, a bit of a change in scenery there!

I haven't played FM religiously as I used (last time I did a 10+ season career was probably 09).

To date, my best memories are my supercastle conquerors - EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, UCL, Community shield, Super Cup and Club world championship all in 1 season and leading Forest Green from semi professional relegation candidates with no money to the Championship playoffs after a succession of promotions over about a 6 year period. Would love to try this one again and see if I can take the Rovers into the EPL :thumbsu:

I even won the WC with Australia one year (back on fm 2007 or 08 I think).

Haven't played FM for a few weeks (GTA and Fifa14 taking my gaming time) but will probably get back into it with the new FM

The season continues

Aberdeen (SPL-AWAY) 0-1 WIN

An own goal by Aberdeen was enough to nick the points in a crappy game.

Hearts (League Cup Quarter Final – AWAY) 1-3 WIN

One player being sent off wasn’t enough to stop Dundee Utd getting the win. Johnny Russel scored twice.

Hearts (SPL –AWAY) 2-0 LOSS

Second time in 3 days a Dundee Utd player was sent off against Hearts. This time there would be no positive outcome.

EURO CUP MATCH DAY 4

Chelsea (Home) 0-6 LOSS

After the humiliation at Stamford Bridge, the Billionaire Club rolled into town and returned the 6 goal favour. A team consisting of Mata, Hazard, Falcao, Torres, Lampard, Cech, Lukaku having too much firepower for the United defence.

Falcao, whose salary is 5 times that of the entire Dundee United teams, netted a hattrick.

Hibs (SPL-HOME) 2-1 WIN

Having to come from behind with a Jon Daly strike and a Hibs own goal getting the win.

Celtic (SPL-HOME) 3-2 WIN

Finally, a win over Celtic! After coming from behind twice, Jon Daly with the double and an own goal from Celtic.

Inverness (SPL-AWAY) 3-2 LOSS

******* Inverness playing the same ******* bullshit formation as Barcelona despite being the bottom team in the league. ******* cheating campaigners.

Falkirk (4th Round Scottish Cup) 2-1 WIN

s**t performance. s**t game.

EURO CUP MATCHDAY 5

Espanyol (HOME) 1-2 LOSS

Barry ferguson tripped in the box by their player on a yellow card, penalty, but no ******* sending off? Then this campaigner goes and scores the winner for them?!!

Kilmarnock (SPL-AWAY) 0-0 DRAW

God they are such an unambitious s**t team. Completely defensive. 2 shots for both teams in the entire game. Mackay-Steven out for 3 months injured. Yay.

Hamilton (SPL-HOME) 2-1 WIN

Spiteful game with both teams finishing with 10 men. Millar with the penalty conversion and youngster Ryan Gauld with the winner.

EURO CUP MATCH DAY 6

Roma (AWAY) 1-1 DRAW

1 Minute away from finishing second in the group! A 73rd minute McAlinden strike was cancelled out by a Borriells dive and penalty in the 93rd minute of injury time, knocking both teams out of the EURO Cup.

Final group positions – Espanyol (1st – 13 points) Chelsea (2nd – 7 points) Roma (3rd – 6 points) Dundee United (4th – 6 points)

Dundee (SPL- AWAY) 1-2 WIN

Fiesty derby with end to end football. Ryan Gauld with a penalty and a Barry Ferguson winner.

Hearts (SPL-HOME) 4-0 WIN

New Firm Derby. Thrashed them silly. Daly, Gauld, Russel and a Hearts own goal.

Ross County (SPL AWAY) 2-1 LOSS

Another s**t loss to a s**t team that does nothing but defend the entire game. Ryan Gauld continuing his good form. Might have someone special here at 18 years old.

Celtic (SPL-AWAY) 2-0 LOSS

Both fullbacks sent off again finishing with 9 men.

St Johnstone (SPL-AWAY) 0-0 DRAW

My notes – zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

St Mirren (SPL-HOME) 1-0 WIN

Finally back in with a win. Ryan Gauld with a tidy close range finish to win it.

Aberdeen ( SPL-HOME) 1-1 DRAW

Played them off the park but nothing to show for it. Jon Daly with the goal.

Hibs (SPL-AWAY) 3-2 LOSS

The slump continues……Jon Daly and Mark Millar goals.

Celtic (League Cup Semi Final) 2-0 LOSS

Never in the game.

After the game devastating news with both Jon Daly and Sean Dillon rejecting the new contract offers by Dundee United and both opting to sign with Bolton in the English Championship on free transfers at seasons end.

Celtic (SPL-AWAY) 0-2 WIN

A Jon Daly double inflicted only the 3rd defeat on Celtic all season so far.

Hearts (Scottish cup 5th round – AWAY) 3-1 LOSS

Running out of fit bodies with players going down injured all over the place. Ryan Gauld with the only goal for Dundee.

Kilmarnock (SPL-HOME) 1-1 DRAW

More ******* injuries! 75 minute injury left me with 10 players. Kilmarnock then scored in the 85th minute. Barry Douglas goal.

Hamilton (SPL AWAY) 2-2 DRAW

******* joke. Bottom team scoring with their only 2 shots all game.

Dundee (SPL-HOME) 3-0 WIN

Even with 10 men, United swarmed all over their city rivals. Wootton with the double and a Russel Single.

Ross County (SPL-HOME) 0-1 LOSS

Yep come and defend for the entire game. Not one single ******* highlight for me, and they scored one goal from their 3 shots….

Hearts (SPL AWAY) 1-1 DRAW

Barry ferguson with a good strike. Hearts equalising in the 92nd minute

Massive form slump at the moment. Only 4 wins in the last 14 odd games. Terrible form.

St Mirren (SPL – AWAY) 2-2 DRAW

Ryan Gauld and Mackay Steven, back from injury, scoring in a good attacking game from both teams.

Kilmarnock (SPL-HOME) 4-2 WIN

Best attacking display all season in the league by Dundee United. 30+ shots on goal resulted in Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Gauld, Johnny Russel and Mackay Stevens getting the goals.

Aberdeen (SLP-AWAY) 1-1 DRAW

Johnny Russel scoring in an uneventful game.

Championship group stage

Hibs (SPL HOME) 3-2 WIN

Dominated all game, should have won by more. Jon Daly double with a single from Stuart Armstrong.

Celtic (SPL-AWAY) 2-1 LOSS

Two Celtic goals in the final 10 minutes gave Celtic an undeserved win. Just cant stop them scoring. Jon Daly with the goal.

St Johnstone (SPL-HOME) 2-2 DRAW

Another game where they didn’t deserve s**t. 2 shots on goal for two goals. Pathetic.

Ross County (SPL AWAY) 2-2 DRAW

My ******* bogey team. 18 shots on goal for Jon Daly to score 2.

3 shots on goal for Ross County to score twice.

Hearts (SPL-AWAY) 3-0 WIN

Smashed hearts in the final game of the season. 2 goals from Jon Daly and a single from Mackey-Steven.

2013-10-27_00001.jpg

So that’s the end of the second season.

Final league position – 2nd overall finishing 11 points clear of 3rd place but a whopping 28 points behind Celtic in 1st.

Top Goal scorer – Jon Daly with 22 (Garry Hooper league best with 36)

Most Assists – Ryan Gauld with 8 (Garry Hooper League best with 16)

Mackey-Steven wins the Scottish Football writers Player of the Year and also Goal of the Year

Ryan Gauld wins the Scottish Football writers Young Player of the Year

Gary Hooper wins Scottish Player of the Year.

Dundee United players in team of the season – Barry Douglas, Mackey Steven and Jon Daly.

338px-Dundee_United_FC_logo.svg.png

Dundee United season 3

Offseason

So what did we learn?

It’s going to take a monumental effort to dislodge Celtic from the top. Although improving from last season, with 5 fewer losses, we couldn’t convert them into wins with 13 draws.

A massive blow to the team is the loss of the captain Jon Daly on a free. With 22 league goals, that’s going to be tough to replace. Sean Dillon is also gone leaving me a forward and Centre back short with no cash from their transfers.

Gary Mackey-Steven continues to be the main man in the team now having established himself in the Scottish national team. Ryan Gauld had a superb break out season and at 18 years old I wouldn’t be surprised to see him given the “Wunderkid” title if he continues the same way next season.

Barry Ferguson was immense all season racking up 35 games at an average of 7.33, with fellow midfielder Scott Wootton making 33 games for 7.22 averages. Ferguson is out of contract and I’m struggling to re-negotiate terms with him at the moment.

Tactics

I’m happy with the current formations but I’ll need to pick up a 3rd more offensive one I think to start converting some of these draws.

Pre Season Transfer activity

Board expectations – Title Challenger

Transfer budget – $2.1 million

Wage budget – $38,000

Although that sounds like a nice transfer budget, the truth of the matter is that it is the clubs entire balance. It will be hard to find any players to transfer to Dundee that won’t eat up the entire amount in one or two hits so I’m going to use it again to increase the wage budgets and look for free signings and loans once again.

I’ll be looking to strengthen the midfield with more bodies to give some flexibility and allow me to cover the injuries I suffered last season better. I’ll need at least another centre back and a forward to replace the ones that are gone.

The main goal again this season will be to qualify for the EURO Cup group stages and second place in the league. I really need to start going further in the Cups too.

In

Will Keane – Free Transfer ( Forward - Manchester United – youth released)

Simao - Free Transfer (DM)

Abdi Ibrahim – Free Transfer (Midfielder – Manchester City
David Beckham – Free Transfer (Midfielder)
James Tevernien (CB/Right back Newcastle) Loan
Liam McAlineden (Forward Wolves)

Well!! Hows that for an offseason of Transfers. Two massive signings in David Beckham and Abdi Ibrahim will really improve the midfield no end. Simao I’ve had on plenty of games and am yet to be disappointed with.

Berisha (yes of Brisbane roar fame) is going to be a real gamble. Has ok stats but im worried that he might not be upto it at this level. We’ll have to wait and see. The two loanees come back again after good seasons.

Club upgrades – Expanded youth coaching, Expanded scouting range (Now all over the world)

Tomorrow I feel like actually doing it.
Been all talk, no action in the past.
Going to try and create the perfect 2-3-5 team.

What would be the perfect personal for that formation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back