Arts & Humanities Does anyone remember Frog and Toad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I realise this discussion is ill-fitting here, but the book sub-section is naturally ignored and I can't seem to think of a place to chuck this. But does anyone remember the book series Frog and Toad? It revolved around a short little toad and a tall, string bean frog who lived together – they would sleep, cook, write, swim, and do almost everything with one another.

It's supposed to be a book about friendship and kindness but when you read it these days, you can see its commentary on love and relationships.

However, as a kid, I was very much prone to melancholy despite being a very happy person. I always felt it heavily towards animals, the idea of them being sad and expressing human emotions always hit me in a weird way and I reckon it could've stemmed from this.

The illustrations were grey and green and it was easy to find that morose. Also, stories revolved around one needing the other. Frog would lure Toad out of his bed when he refused to get up, and then there's this frankly humanistic and adult subtleties being brought up
frog_%26_toad2.jpg

frog_%26_toad3.jpg

Does anyone else remember this book? Did anyone else have a sad reaction to it? Or do you remember any other wrong-reactions to children's books or shows?

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I realise this discussion is ill-fitting here, but the book sub-section is naturally ignored and I can't seem to think of a place to chuck this. But does anyone remember the book series Frog and Toad? It revolved around a short little toad and a tall, string bean frog who lived together – they would sleep, cook, write, swim, and do almost everything with one another.

It's supposed to be a book about friendship and kindness but when you read it these days, you can see its commentary on love and relationships.

However, as a kid, I was very much prone to melancholy despite being a very happy person. I always felt it heavily towards animals, the idea of them being sad and expressing human emotions always hit me in a weird way and I reckon it could've stemmed from this.

The illustrations were grey and green and it was easy to find that morose. Also, stories revolved around one needing the other. Frog would lure Toad out of his bed when he refused to get up, and then there's this frankly humanistic and adult subtleties being brought up
frog_%26_toad2.jpg

frog_%26_toad3.jpg

Does anyone else remember this book? Did anyone else have a sad reaction to it? Or do you remember any other wrong-reactions to children's books or shows?
At first glance I thought this would be " Wind in the Willows" ? But this seems different ? I have never heard of this .

grouse mate

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2014
On a bike
AFL Club
GWS
I was unsure when i opened the thread but after reading those pages posted I vaguely remember it. My favourite childhood book was The Sailor Dog. I always remembered that he kept his ship neat and tidy, have considered buying an old version off ebay, not sure why.

I remember them. I had that very book. Frog writes toad a letter to cheer him up. Think the letter says 'thank you for being my friend.' Frog gets as much pleasure from writing and sending letter as toad does from receiving it. Books were full of Americanisms which looked odd to my unworldly eyes

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
However, as a kid, I was very much prone to melancholy despite being a very happy person. I always felt it heavily towards animals, the idea of them being sad and expressing human emotions always hit me in a weird way and I reckon it could've stemmed from this...

Jesus. Hope you didn't read Watership Down as a kid. For a book about talking rabbits that was some serious heavy s**t. It was made into an animated movie that was almost horror-esque in some bits.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jesus. Hope you didn't read Watership Down as a kid. For a book about talking rabbits that was some serious heavy s**t. It was made into an animated movie that was almost horror-esque in some bits.
I actually enjoyed the sadness of Frog and Toad, the sensitivity was always nice. I'm still like that – find a big worth in melancholia. There's some great words about that

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually enjoyed the sadness of Frog and Toad, the sensitivity was always nice. I'm still like that – find a big worth in melancholia. There's some great words about that

Have you read Watership Down, though? Great read. If you haven't, chase down a copy. Even reading it for the first time as an adult, you'll get something from it.

etm1

Draftee
May 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

frog_%26_toad2.jpg

frog_%26_toad3.jpg

Wow, you nailed it! I feel the exact same way about this book. There was always something about it that made me feel a bit sad. I recently found my childhood copy which triggered those memories. Glad to see someone else feels the same way!

CaloundraClown

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2015
LGE Ward
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
PSV, Arizona Cardinals, SC Falcons
I completely forgot about this book series!! I remember our school library had them, can't remember being too into them though - pretty sure the sad toad gave me the shits so I stopped reading lol as a kid I liked to read books that made me happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back