Does Boyd cop a free ride?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what the OP is on about. When we traded for Boyd it has been publicly stated by the club a number of times this year and next are development years and not to expect to much. Very much in line with our developing list.

We font expect him to be kicking buckets of goals this year so don't know why your expectations are so mixed up

Not a huge fan of overpaying young players on the basis of 'potential' rather than 'output.' It only fast-tracks the fat and happy syndrome. It was a problem at MFC for years. Young players overpaid because they wanted to front-load the salary cap to off-set any financial problems when they all became guns. Only issue is they never did.

What incentives do Boyd and Scully have to improve? They are on multi year deals for huge money. All they have to do is front up and be reasonable players.

Not a huge fan of overpaying young players on the basis of 'potential' rather than 'output.' It only fast-tracks the fat and happy syndrome. It was a problem at MFC for years. Young players overpaid because they wanted to front-load the salary cap to off-set any financial problems when they all became guns. Only issue is they never did.

What incentives do Boyd and Scully have to improve? They are on multi year deals for huge money. All they have to do is front up and be reasonable players.

It all comes down to attitude and how you want yourself perceived. Boyd shows leadership qualities and I'm sure he is driven to provide the dogs what they want compared to rocking up each week with a lax mindset knowing his financial future is virtually guaranteed.

Yes, he does cop a free ride and no, he is not worth his salary yet.

But he wasn't traded for and given such a large contract to dominate the competition this year. While that would have obviously been fantastic, given his age and his physical attributes I don't think anyone seriously expected it.

Boyd going well, presenting and creating a contest as well as some nice marks and goals along the way. 2nd year forward, was always going to take time ffs.

Is doing ok but not spectacularly for a key forward who doesn't have an AFL tank yet.

Is providing a contest and looks like he wants to be out there - unlike the guy we traded him for who looks like he can't be bothered

Clearly haven't seen any media this week I guess. Whether you think Boyd deserves to get criticized or not, he does. Especially by people like Matthew Lloyd and Garry Lyon. But that's fine.

The other end of the trade.. not so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Jeremy Cameron yes, for Tom no chance
Your club would offer tom Boyd that deal tomorrow if you had the chance. Don't even try and deny it. Unfortunately for you, Liam Jones is running out there embarrassing himself and your footy club for the next 3 years! Enjoy him! I'll make sure i enjoy 19 year old Tom Boyd develop over the next few years in a dogs jumper

Does the man at GWS who is a multiple All Australian and Best and Fairest winner, as well as a former club captain get a free ride? More free kicks against than kicks today. Had an impact in maybe 2 games, handballing most times he gets it, 2 goals for the year. But no its the 19 year old kid who gets a free ride ...

I absolutely hate how he left the club in the manner he did. As such, I hope he earns zero success on the field.

That said, he's obviously still suffering a lot from depression and I hope he gets all the help off the field he needs.

I actually agree with this. I think the Dogs made the right call, cause that was going to be our best opportunity to snag someone like Boyd. But generally speaking, I think overpaying promising youngsters is terrible policy. And it may yet bite us on the backside.

But as for this:

Is it just me or does Boyd get a free ride?

The guy moved down south 1 year into his rookie contract (breaking it) for a mill a year (or there abouts)

Looking at his last 2 games. He has had 1 possession against the demons and this week when his club was playing all over the giants could only get one goal.

Where as other rookies or kids on much smaller salaries (eg Scully) are being belted piller to post for poor performances this tall timber seems to be able to get away with anything.

I can only presume this is a joke thread because GG knows that BF posters are writing this kind of thing about Griffen. Not even a mega-flog like GG could seriously think this.

Has there even been a 19 year-old in the game under MORE scrutiny than Tom Boyd? The guy gets red vested in one game and it's a talking point on all the footy discussion shows. What other 2nd year tall forwards would get that? How many other 19 year olds have had people riding them all year, constantly comparing their progress to the best up-and-coming stars in the game? Which media figures compare say Josh Kelly to every other young star having a hot streak in the game? Who compared Toumpas to Wines most weeks last year? I honestly can't think of one youngster who cops that kind of attention. And by the way, I'm not whinging about that. He deserves this scrutiny - he's the one on the big contract. But to suggest that scrutiny doesn't exist is simply not true.

By contrast, Griffen actually IS the invisible man. He barely rates a mention - despite recently being considered one of the stars of the game. Once again, I'm not complaining about that - I would ignore Griffen too if I was the footy media. Just explaining why I think GG must be having a lend.

Oh, and gillo94 suggesting Carlton wouldn't have offered Boyd a 7 year contract is hilarious. Carlton's designs on Boyd were the biggest open secret in footy. That was why the Dogs HAD to go early.

There's no doubt he is copping a free ride.

To put it into perspective, a guy like Travis Cloke cops heat week in week out despite actually having runs on the board, yet not a murmur for a guy who is on more coin than him and is stinking it up.

At some stage, they(the media) will come for Boyd.

But has boyd done anything to earn his cheque?

He doesn't need to. The contract is signed, for guaranteed money, so it's already been "earnt" in that sense. He can coast for half a decade with total financial security if he so well pleases.

That being said, just because a club offered him big money and he accepted it, doesn't mean that he's somehow going to develop quicker than any other 19-20 year old in the league. He's still years away from his prime, like pretty much every other player his age.

Last edited:
I agree. GWS I still believe are closer to a finals appearance than Bulldogs but atm I rate other forwards in that age bracket better than him, maybe I'm being harsh and might get proven wrong with time

1. Jeremy Cameron
2. Joe Daniher
3. Jesse Hogan
4. Tom Lynch
5. Josh Bruce
6. Cam McCarthy
7. TOM BOYD
8. Patrick McCartin (only rookie season)

Tom is on more money than what he is producing but i think will get better, shouldn't be on that kind of money until is established like Jeremy Cameron is

You forgot to add Liam Jones somewhere above Boyd.

For Jeremy Cameron yes, for Tom no chance
Aren't you the same person who thought that Liam Jones was a good pickup?

Let's just put your ability to rate a player into perspective.

While it is still very very early to be calling him out as a failure I must admit that I was disappointed that he could only muster 8 disposals, 5 marks and a goal on Aidan Corr (who had 16 disposals and 6 marks). I would've thought yesterday was the perfect opportunity for Boyd to have some impact and though he wasn't bad he was only barely adequate as a key forward being kicked to by a rampant midfield.

While it is still very very early to be calling him out as a failure I must admit that I was disappointed that he could only muster 8 disposals, 5 marks and a goal on Aidan Corr (who had 16 disposals and 6 marks). I would've thought yesterday was the perfect opportunity for Boyd to have some impact and though he wasn't bad he was only barely adequate as a key forward being kicked to by a rampant midfield.

Considering GWS started panicking and putting multiple defenders on Boyd, I think he played well and did his part in beating the so called up and coming young side of the competition.

Is Tom Boyd worth the money he's being paid yet? No, but if you've been watching football for 5+ years, you would know tall forwards can take longer to develop.

Was this thread made by an extremely bitter sore loser? Yes.

Would Carlton take Tom Boyd on his current deal if they could? Absolutely.

Who won the Tom Boyd deal? We did. Pick 6 + a pea-hearted player is an excellent price to pay for a gun key forward, who was considered the clear #1 choice in 2013.

Are there other opposition supporters in this thread displaying jealousy and saltiness? Yes, and it's delicious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back