Strategy Does Crowley Come Straight Back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably no from me. If we could bring him in now and build him up into the team, then yeah, probably, but to slot him into a PF after missing the entire season. Just doesn't seem prudent to me.

BTW, with Baker thing, he missed weeks (9 I think ?), not a whole season. There is a difference. The team had basically done the pre-season and 12-13 games of the regular season with him in.

Makes me wonder why crowley is training so hard. As Salim said "looks a million dollars". Surely rtb must have given him some indication on his future prospects of playing. If he'd told the 31 y.o. not this year and we'll consider next year at the end of the season, would he be training this hard? Maybe but most players would probably drop off in intensity knowing it's likely a fruitless exercise. At 32 in March next year and a role as a tagger with average football skills, you wouldn't think he would get many or any games next year.

So, either he is just a sucker for punishment or an over exerciser, or rtb has given him considerable hope in that he will get a game or two this year should we still be in the running. That's how i see it anyway.

Makes me wonder why crowley is training so hard. As Salim said "looks a million dollars". Surely rtb must have given him some indication on his future prospects of playing. If he'd told the 31 y.o. not this year and we'll consider next year at the end of the season, would he be training this hard? Maybe but most players would probably drop off in intensity knowing it's likely a fruitless exercise. At 32 in March next year and a role as a tagger with average football skills, you wouldn't think he would get many or any games next year.

So, either he is just a sucker for punishment or an over exerciser, or rtb has given him considerable hope in that he will get a game or two this year should we still be in the running. That's how i see it anyway.
This is a pretty fair call....Even when he was away from the group he reportedly did miles of running and training with non-club associated friends and family....You would ask why?? Maybe he is just an exercise fiend, or he will play this year, or the club has given him an indication that he is a required player next year....or I am just reading to much into it ;)!

He's still on the list and will be available for finals. Even if it's a faint glimmer of hope, you'd get yourself in the absolute best position possible to get selected and possibly play in a GF wouldn't you?

Few key injuries in the lead up and he could be absolutely required. Would say while he's still any chance and still on the payroll, i'd 100% expect him to be training his arse off and be looking like a million dollars. Especially after stuffing up the way he did.

So your playing the Toast in a prelim and you need to put the shits into either Priddis or Schuey? Mzungu/Suban/MDB/Crowley

I know my answer.
Or Mitchell or Hodge....
I know my answer too ;)!
Wouldnt actually bother me if Crowls didnt even touch the ball....as long as he does a great stopping job!

Crowley looks a million dollars and is training with the main squad.I wouldn't be writing him of come finals.
Schuey running riot in the last derby is a reminder of the job Crowley can do on the prime movers.
This. Come finals, might need his negating roles. 2013 Finals Series he was exceptional at tagging Stevie J after quarter time (he had 2 goals up to that point) as well as Kieran Jack in the Prelim. Shuey ran amok in two weeks ago, shows how much underrated influence Crowls has.

Or Mitchell or Hodge....
I know my answer too ;)!
Wouldnt actually bother me if Crowls didnt even touch the ball....as long as he does a great stopping job!
It's definitely a risk but something tells me that Crowls has a bone to pick and no better time to do that then the Prelim or GF

I'm absolutely for it. I think it's more likely than not.

He would be named on the HFF, and run to his man after the first bounce. This would give us a five man forward line and open space. The opposition defender is forced to play loose, leaving us one up in the midfield, or they must find a player in the midfield. I'd back Crowls running to beat his man to our forward line on a turnover, and he is a good shot for goal.

Spurr Dawson johno
Ibbo McP sutty
Hill Fyfe DPearce
Walters APearce Crowley
Mayne Pav Balla
Sandy Mundy Barlow
Neale Sherro Griff Wellar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's still on the list and will be available for finals. Even if it's a faint glimmer of hope, you'd get yourself in the absolute best position possible to get selected and possibly play in a GF wouldn't you?

Absolutely. What's the point of being on a list but not in shape to play? I'd say they'll have him in match sims soon to get his touch.

I'm starting to believe he will be playing finals. The team has changed from injury & form.

Spurr Dawson Johnson
Ibbo McPharlin Suttcliffe
Hill Mundy DPearce
Barlow Mayne Walters
Ballaz Pav Griffin
Sandi Fyfe Neale
Suban Crowley Taberner/APearce (can't decide, tab maybe on lead up & fwd exp)
Sub - Sheridan

Stoppages in the middle Crowley doesn't attend, but around the ground he goes to his player. Starts forward.

That's a fallacy. I remember looking at the stats over the last few years (say 2013-2014), and he had the lowest goal average out of all our midfielders, bar one player (maybe Mundy?). Earlier in his career, it was maybe a different story ... but if he is in full lock down tag mode, he doesn't kick many goals.
Have to agree. Somehow a myth talked up by commentator that Crowley loves a goal. Well, of course he does like everybody, but his goal average is pretty average for a mid who was played as forward at times.

@topic: Don't know, depends of injuries/form of our others players and what matchups we plan. Early on the looked we the goods without him but atm not so much. So who knows. And I really want him to be a premiership player when we win...

This is a pretty fair call....Even when he was away from the group he reportedly did miles of running and training with non-club associated friends and family....You would ask why?? Maybe he is just an exercise fiend, or he will play this year, or the club has given him an indication that he is a required player next year....or I am just reading to much into it ;)!
Or he's a professional who takes his job seriously until his contract is up

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Absurd idea. If we do make it to the grand final we're clearly not playing bad footy. To mess around with the stoppage setup at that point would be moronic.

You can play great footy with 1-2 guys not pulling their weight. His expertise and experience may really throw whoever we'd theoretically play.

I'm still in the Crowleys-not-just-a-tagger brigade... think he could add more to the scoreboard and win the ball more effectively than a couple of other players in the starting 22.

Keep in mind we are going for a flag here, not getting games into other / finals experience into youngsters. If he is the best option, pick him and win the damn thing.

He is on our list and still getting paid so it's his job to be ready to go when and if required. The fact that he is training so hard helps explain why he has managed to carve out a decent career that many with better skills would envy.

Positive......A genuine hard nut who thrives on getting into the face of the opposition, fit and available, can tag hard if required? Big body, decent overhead mark and better at everything than MDB (I like MDB's work rate but his results on field are our weakest link)

Negative......It would be a massive risk to bring in any player who has not played a game of any kind for a whole season. Not convinced he would give us any more than Suban?

Absurd idea. If we do make it to the grand final we're clearly not playing bad footy. To mess around with the stoppage setup at that point would be moronic.

Tend to agree. However, his comeback game(s) would likely be to face WC and Hawthorn. The standout two teams that are in our way (without disrespecting Sydney, North, Richmond, etc), and a different kettle of fish to anyone we might have played to get that far.

I fear we may be going full circle on attack vs defence. Start of season, no Dawson/Crowley, no worries. Kicking bigger scores, we've unlocked the secret!

But that's gone pear shaped and we can't score anymore. Ross might want to kick more goals, but it seems the best we can do is 12-14, and we'll get smacked by WC/Hawks if we try to engage in a shootout. So that leaves us with having to keep offensive powerhouses to 10-11 goals, via an ugly defensive slog. And Crowley might be a big part of this kind of plan.

Personally I love having Crowls in our team, he protects our mids and targets the opposition's best players.
Selfless player who can also kick a goal.

Do you bring him back for a final after not playing all year? well thats a toughie.

Its not like he is a player that relies on touch or leading patterns, but my question mark is fitness.
I know that it is his greatest strength but can you replicate the intensity of an AFL game in training, Im not so sure.
Either way I am happy to leave the 50/50 call to the powers that be as they would have the better idea on where he is.

Also for those wondering why he is training so hard, have you ever thought he may just be doing the ground work for 2016.
He is out of contract after all and I would think that if he wants another one he will need to prove his desire.

...So that leaves us with having to keep offensive powerhouses to 10-11 goals, via an ugly defensive slog. And Crowley might be a big part of this kind of plan.

Spot on!

The commentators said during one of Hawthorn's last games, that the Hawks have won 88 out their last 89 games in which they scored 100 points or over.

My precursory look at their games this year and last supports the suggestion completely.

Over the last two years, the Hawks have only won five games when their score was less than 100 points - they have lost no games at all in that period when their score goes over 100.

If Hawthorn reaches the ton, they win - the pattern is as clear as day. To beat them, you have to stop them scoring - Crowley's involvement as a tagger come finals time might be a real ace in the hole.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back